Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
billc1949
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12196
Satellite Help

Trying to figure out which satellite system to go with. Is anybody using Direct TV with the Genie System or Dish with the Hopper and are they able to be used in our rigs. Thanks in advance for you help.

Bill C

billc1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
I use DirecTV with a Winegard Trav'ler automatic HD satellite dish. What I like about it is that I don't have to fiddle with coordinates to find a satellite, it does it automatically. As soon as I get into my camping spot, I turn it on, and by the time I'm done setting up so is the HD receiver and TV. I can then pour myself a liquid refreshment and enjoy the fruits of my labor...ah, life is tough on the road...roughing it...
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
I just installed the Direct TV SWM system in my Montana. No Genie but HR 24 DVR in living room and HR 25 in bedroom. Both HD for the flat screens. Pretty easy with the cable runs to both locations in the convenience center. Installed the splitter and power inserter in the basement by the convenience center. I used an old slimline dish and bought a SL3 LNB for it. TV4RV.COM for the tripod system and sat meter. I use the old non-swm lnb to aim and peak and then change to the sl3 swm lnb. Setup takes about 10 minutes.
TV4RV.COM also has a storage mount for the rear ladder to stow the dish after you remove the lnb arm. Doesn't take up any basement storage.
Have about $200 in the complete system. I had an old slimline reflector and lnb.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We have Dish and a Tailgater, but not Hopper. Easy auto setup and works great for us. We have had Dish at home for years so was a natural extension for us as a $7/mo add on to the home account.
Seems I remember someone posting about some problem with Hopper and an RV. Maybe couldn't take it from home? Or couldn't add it to a home account? Not sure.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206

Direct TV and Winegard Carryout automatic. Works great and when you get a spot with a lot of trees you can move the Carryout around until it can see the sky and let it find the satellite.
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have a DirecTV setup just like kab449. The SWM technology uses one wire despite the number of tuners in a receiver. This is a perfect fit with the wiring in the newer Montanas. I have the HR-24 DVR (with two integrated tuners). From what I have researched the Genie HR-34 is a SWM only DVR with five tuners. It will work nicely in your RV *IF* you have room for it (it is much taller than the HR-24 and doesn't fit in my cabinets). The Genie is fairly new and already a replacement (the HR-44) has been announced. It is much smaller height-wise (which is what I need), but isn't available yet, will probably cost $$ for an existing customer (free to new users of course), and uses a completely different type remote. Here is a little more information about the HR-44 http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/d...-dvr-hands-on/

If you are looking to use the "whole home" feature of DirecTV in your Montana I think you will be disappointed as it requires a dedicated connection to each "remote" receiver. You will have to drag the wires to do that.

I don't know enough about Dish to comment on their applicability to your situation.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We have a Dish contract that has expired so now we are on a month to month lease- We just bought a Winegard Anser which I haven't hooked up yet due to all the snow we're having here in Iowa at this time- We're on our 3rd day of rain/snow/rain/snow and are more or less hibernating until ol' Sol shows up again- Will post results in a few days, be the good Lord willing and the crick don't rise- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Same as BB TX.
We have Dish and Tailgater that automaticly finds the satelites. It works great, and with the Tailgater when you get a RV spot with a bunch of trees you can move the Tailgater around until it can get a clear shot to the sky so it can find the satellites. We have the Hopper with Sling and Joeys at home, but the Hopper will not work with the Tailgater. The Tailgater requires a 211k receiver to provide HD TV in the RV.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We have the Dish Hopper and we love it because we can watch TV on our iPads outside.

The only caveat is that with a Nomad controller, from MotoSat, that automatically aligns our rooftop satellite dish, you have to run a second coax for any Joeys. The pass thru on the Nomad kills the MoCa signal (Ethernet over Coax), meaning that Joeys can't communicate with the Hopper. Once I figured that out, and got the Joey working in the bedroom, we are very happy as we have a high def TV in our bedroom and with our previous Dish 722 receiver, we could only get standard def on our bedroom TV.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have Dish and Wineguard Carry Out. If I were to do over I would get Dish and their Tailgater. It cost a little less only needs one wire.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We got our Winegard Anser hooked up and operating- We go online to get the elevation setting for the Anser- Once the elevation is set, we turn on the power supply to allow the Anser to rotate until it finds the satelite and locks in- The Anser allows us to watch a program on our main tv while we record something else- So far we are satisfied with our Anser- It costs less than a Carryout but a little more than a Tailgater- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
billc1949
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12196
Thanks to all for your inputs, I think we are going to go with Dish and the Winegard Carry Out.
billc1949 is offline   Reply With Quote