Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Apps Cellphone Warning in general

I double posted this. Please see my second posting below.

I have been experimenting with other apps that claim to lock down Privacy issues. If I find a good one then I will let you all know. The ones I've tried are cumbersome and not user friendly. At least not clear and decisive. Another Buyer be Ware or downloader awareness.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by uhftx

Watch your privacy settings with any downloadable app. What is the point of having a million apps free or paid that want to capture your data.

I recently posted about a couple of apps. Although I have used them in the past some quite frequently another forum member reminded me about an issue which I have investigated in the past. However this brings to light what we are all (you and I) subject to. Cellular applications for smart phones application developers that are trying to receive demographics (or much worse) data from people.

At one time I remember prior to Facebook locking down pages so they are not so public. The following statement was made: "What took the FBI and Search warrants in the past years to collect the information, Is now publicly available, and the people themselves are putting it out there for the world to see"

So with that being said. Caveat emptor

Below is my response to my previous posting.

Hi Ron and Kathy,(catcraw)

Having been on the internet since 1983 which I eluded to in a different post. I have never seen such intentional / potential miss use of privacy information as I have with cellular telephones (smart phones). This is not just Android/droid or Apple per. se. They all do it to some degree. Facebook, Google, and Microsoft phones to follow(I will post a disclaimer in my previous posting, referring to this post)

I do not like this either.

You are correct about the permissions. This has always been a sticking point with me and smart phone devices. Apple does not even give you notification of what permissions are sought. Figures right. (go apple).

Anyway I was hesitant to post any apps here. but unfortunately it is inevitable if you download anything . No matter which Free and / or paid app you download, you are subject to these (unless you deny installation. Why? I don't know.

It's like EULA agreements (end user license agreements) Say you go to your store and buy software. You bring it home forced to read or just check the box saying I agree to the terms and conditions.
Well what if you don't agree. You can't take it back because it is opened packaging. You can exchange it for the same item due to damage though. (if you yell, screem sign a waver, You might have a prayer of getting you money back) Good Luck from the store. Maybe the Manufacturer will listen.

I have been experimenting with other apps that claim to lock down Privacy issues. If I find a good one then I will let you all know. The ones I've tried are cumbersome and not user friendly. At least not clear and decisive. Another Buyer be Ware or downloader awareness.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:26 AM   #3
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Just searching Google Play, Which is intrusive in and of itself.
There are 1000 apps for Yellow Pages. Various flavors and features.
I will not attempt to review them here.

If you have never looked at the permissions a FREE app seeks / enables / accesses. Here is an example.

Essentially what I/you have done is, give the phone away. Not physically though.

Permissions
THIS APPLICATION HAS ACCESS TO THE FOLLOWING:
YOUR LOCATION
PRECISE LOCATION (GPS AND NETWORK-BASED)
Allows the app to get your precise location using the Global Positioning System (GPS) or network location sources such as cell towers and Wi-Fi. These location services must be turned on and available to your device for the app to use them. Apps may use this to determine where you are, and may consume additional battery power.
APPROXIMATE LOCATION (NETWORK-BASED)
Allows the app to get your approximate location. This location is derived by location services using network location sources such as cell towers and Wi-Fi. These location services must be turned on and available to your device for the app to use them. Apps may use this to determine approximately where you are.
NETWORK COMMUNICATION
FULL NETWORK ACCESS
Allows the app to create network sockets and use custom network protocols. The browser and other applications provide means to send data to the internet, so this permission is not required to send data to the internet.
YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
READ YOUR CONTACTS
Allows the app to read data about your contacts stored on your tablet, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific individuals. This permission allows apps to save your contact data, and malicious apps may share contact data without your knowledge. Allows the app to read data about your contacts stored on your phone, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific individuals. This permission allows apps to save your contact data, and malicious apps may share contact data without your knowledge.
MODIFY YOUR CONTACTS
Allows the app to modify the data about your contacts stored on your tablet, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific contacts. This permission allows apps to delete contact data. Allows the app to modify the data about your contacts stored on your phone, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific contacts. This permission allows apps to delete contact data.
PHONE CALLS
READ PHONE STATUS AND IDENTITY
Allows the app to access the phone features of the device. This permission allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call.
STORAGE
MODIFY OR DELETE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR USB STORAGE MODIFY OR DELETE THE CONTENTS OF YOUR SD CARD
Allows the app to write to the USB storage. Allows the app to write to the SD card.