Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
What to do about TV?

My one passion on TV is the NFL, but working every Sunday and not being the type of person who can watch a recorded game when I know the outcome I haven't missed the fact that we haven't had TV at home for about 15 years. Since in retirement we're supposed to do what we didn't get to do in our working life I'm now investigating satellite TV as an option so I can watch football and we can watch movies. We've had Netflex for years so we do use our TV's just don't have them hooked to anything. If I do this, what type of antenna would you recommend? Dish or Direct TV? What plan since we only want to watch football and movies?
Thanks for your opinions!

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
This won't help with football, but you can stream movies and shows to your TV with your Netflix account by using several different types of devices:

https://account.netflix.com/Watch

Just need an internet connection and the device and you get the Netflix on your TV.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Dick,

You have two different issues gong on here.

1) For satellite TV choose whatever provider gives you the best programming, We have DISH, But that is our preference.
2) Internet for surfing, streaming, whatever. If your CG has WiFi, I would use it to download/stream content. If, like us, you have over 10 devices that connect to the Internet, I would suggest you get a PepWave that injects outside WiFi into our internal LAN with a router like a CradlepointnMBR-1200. If you have more questions, we'll be happy to share our experiences.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We have Dish and are very satisfied with it.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #5
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Dick,
I went with the Dish Tailgator automatic dish. It uses the 211K receiver and operates on one TV only but we have it s/u on the living room set and works great for us.
I installed an additional cable type plug in (bought at Camping World) in the entertainment slide out (3400RL) and use that for the sat. cable. This way I avoid having to re-do the TV connections when we go to a park with cable TV or want to use the o/a channels.

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:54 AM   #6
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
We have the Winneguard 3005 HD roof mount with Direct TV (have it at home also) - not sure you can get plan with just movies and sports , but we have been very happy with both the automatic operation of the antenna and our programming. Have to make sure your site is satellite friendly (no trees blocking signal).
Old 08-04-2012, 04:14 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hunts800

We have the Winneguard 3005 HD roof mount with Direct TV (have it at home also) - not sure you can get plan with just movies and sports , but we have been very happy with both the automatic operation of the antenna and our programming. Have to make sure your site is satellite friendly (no trees blocking signal).
That's one of our problems, we do seem to camp in the woods a lot. The other problem is we have a Verizon ZTE for our internet so our usage is somewhat restricted and since we do camp in the woods a lot or out in the boonies in AZ our coverage is almost always 3G. We're supposed to get 4G in Goshen, but I doubt I'll have time to enjoy it. So far we've only had WIFI once. It was great then, however.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #8
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Dick,
We have had Direct for 15yrs. and are happy with them. You need to decide what programs,show, you want and then price each company. If you know someone with direct and sign up with them as a referral (you need their account #) you will both get a $10/month discount forever.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:18 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

Dick,
We have had Direct for 15yrs. and are happy with them. You need to decide what programs,show, you want and then price each company. If you know someone with direct and sign up with them as a referral (you need their account #) you will both get a $10/month discount forever.
Thanks that's good to know. If we decide to go that way, or get TV for sure at all, I'll be PMing you for your #. If you already have the deal and can't use it, I'll be we can find someone else on here who could.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:18 AM   #10
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
We use Dish Network with a 1000.2 dish mounted to a surveyor's tripod with adapter from TV4RV.COM. It is VERY RARE that we can't have trees and satellite reception to include HD. Tried a Winegard Carry Out a few days ago that belonged to a friend, but did not care for it. Only takes 10 minutes to set up mine and no one wants to "borrow" it.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We have AT&T U-verse at home, LOVE it, but on the road, Direct TV, had a real rocky start with them, but now it is great. We pull into a C.G. push a button and put the zip code in, that is about it.
We also have H.D., have it at home, so on the road needed to be the same.
I wish I had 1/10 of Michael's knowledge about these things, he knows the 'in's and outs' on Internet connections, way above my head.
Slimline Traveler is my antenna, stows automatically.
We also have a portable antenna in case we are in the trees. e will leave it at home this winter, Arizona has no trees...
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/SatDishPics?authuser=0&feat=directlink
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #12
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Dick, we also have directv at home, so if you need a account number if charlie has used his up,email me and I will gladly offer you mine.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:50 AM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Got it. First I have to convince Joyce and to a lesser extent me that we want to go back to having TV then decide which one. Dish will come out and install it out here in the boonies, Direct TV not so much. Still trying to decide what to do and with whom.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:55 AM   #14
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Either of the satellites I think have NFL channels. We have Dish just because they seem to work better with RV'ers JMO and I know they have an NFL channel. Once you get used to setting up a dish antenna it really ain't that hard. The hard part if figuring out the wiring inside the Montana lol lol. But if you camp in an area with lots of trees then you really do want a portable antenna with a long wire. There are some channels on Dish that are strictly movies. The one my wife loves because they are mainly old movies. But you always have the channels on Dish that do deal mainly in movies espcially at nite. Myself I like the travel, animal and the how to channels. We rarely watch any of the major networks shows.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #15
mrtgraz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11349
There on sale right now at campers world.http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-antenna/65148
mrtgraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #16
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We also went with Dish Network and the Tailgator automatic dish antenna for the simple reason that here in western Washington State we have a lot of trees and having a fixed dish antenna on the roof would be a problem. So with the portable Tailgator we can move it (I have a 50' and a 100' coaxial cable) out from under the trees.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been using directv for over 6 years with remote dish and tripod. Can only remember a couple of times when we were not able to see the satellite. We carry about 100 feet of RG6 so we can move the dish around.. Note that the portable satellite dishes do not receive directtv HD. Dish does.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote