Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
KVH Dome or Winegard Slimline

Does anyone have any experience with installing a KVH Dome on their rig? If so, did you mount it on the "slanted" portion of the roof line? My new rig is supposed to arrive tomorrow and I have been all set to have the KVH dome installed as I like how it provides a cleaner roof line appearance. Will the angled roof create issues for the KVH? My only other option is to go with the Winegard Slimline as the angle will not create any issues for the satellite tracking. Reason I'm asking is the KVH states it needs to be mounted on a flat surface for mounting purposes, it does not state that it must be mounted on a flat and level surface. I'd rather not have the dealership drill holes into my new roof if the dome wont work. The flip side is the Winegard does put HD signal to all 3 tv's in the coach...the KVH does not. Any input would be most appreciated.

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I think it would be very foolish to install something that did not get HD.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I agree Bill. The problem is KVH does get HD for dish network on 100% of the channels. direct tv is currently working on updating their satellites to being 100% HD. downside is DirecTV does not know when that upgrade will be completed. I have a feeling I will end up having my dealer ship the KVH back and order in the
TRAV'LER SK-3005 DIRECTV Slimline Mobile HD Satellite Antenna. I just spoke with DirecTV and reactivated my account. They are willing to stop out at the coach and switch all 3 of my current standard receivers for new HD and DVR receivers for free. That just made the decision that much harder....or easier depending on how one looks at it.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
If it were me I would go with the Winegard Slimline. I have had no hiccups with the same Slimline on two different rigs and it was installed both times by me.
I don't know what the price difference is between the two. Most people want the HD capabilities. I see a lot of domes on motorhomes. But my bet is most of them were installed for people without HD. We have noticed also big rigs getting the Domes taken off and replaced with Slimlines. You can still use the Winegard for standard definition.
In the years we have had ours there have been no updates needed for it to operate properly.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Joe,

I am glad to hear that you have had success with the Slimline Winegard. I sent my sales rep an email requesting he send the KVH dome back and bring in the Winegard Trav'ler instead. Have you had any issues with strong winds/thunderstorms on the winegard? We often have quick moving severe storms that hit the area without notice; especially when I seem to be away from the coach. I'd hate to have this dish ripped off my roof in a quick moving 50mph thunderstorm.

Just need to call DirecTV in the morning and have them swap out my digital receivers for HD ones...
Old 07-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I forget the numbers for the wind speed ratings. But they are high. You will not have a problem with the Slimline ripping off the roof. I have left the dish up in some strong winds and there has not been any loss of signal. With all dishes you may get some rain fade on occasion. Being that the Slimline is peeked each time you set it up it is probably more accurately pointed at the satellites than a lot of home dishes.
The base of the Slimline is substantial. On the second unit I installed the Slimline on I used the Traveler Mounting Plate. This plate I feel is worth the money spent. The attachment to the roof is more spread out and has less effect on the roof plywood.
Traveler Mounting Plate
Old 07-02-2012, 04:35 AM   #7
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
While we don't yet have a roof mounted DTV HD dish, this thread has been helpful to us and tks for that. Seeing Jolu's response on the traveler mounting plate was very helpful plus the Amazon link shows the Slimline dish for under $1300 plus free shipping. You can't get that at CW for that price. Tks.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:37 AM   #8
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
As a note I don't think you will need that SKA004 roller plate if you order the SKA008 Mounting Plate. That long arm part of the mounting plate is for the dish arm to roll on. Joe
Old 07-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #9
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
We have the Slimline and love it. Remember, CW will match any other brick and mortar competitor.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well I pulled the trigger and finally made a decision....I went with the trav'ler Winegard. I really wanted the KVH, but after finding that there is a high probability that the dome wont work on the angled roof, I decided taking a $1500 gamble was not worth it. Especially when there are permanent holes being drilled in my roof. I still dont like to bulkiness appearance of the Winegard dish, but I'd rather have something that worked than something that sure looked good on the roof.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Good decision my friend...

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Thanks Helen. Too bad after all the back and forth, research and phone calls, I decided to go with the Winegard only to have DirecTV tick me off tonight. Had the dealer already not shipped back the KVH dome and ordered the Winegard, I would have cancelled DirecTV tonight. This is the first time in over 5 years I have something negative to say about DirecTV and boy do I have a lot to say... Hope your trip is treating you well. Enjoy your new Ram!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Montana Sky, If you get mad at direct tv you can always switch to dish, all you have to do is change the Reflector (RPSK11) $32.00 and the L&B RPSK2 $280.00. You can only go from direct tv to dish not the other way
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:25 AM   #14
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
You made the right choice on the Traveler. We have one and it is an excellent product. Just make sure when you check into the CG's that you tell them you have Direct and they will put you in an area where there is no obstructions for it to work correctly. In most cases they know which sites work the best in there CG.

Also if you get an agent on the line that isn't working with you on the phone just hang up and call again till you get your satisfaction. Some of them have no clue what they are doing!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Crazy! I called back again to DirecTV tonight and got a completely different price and story on my account. This time the price was $32 a month cheaper than what they quoted me last night. I briefly explained that I just called last night and got a different story and price quote for the same package. This fella said well that price is only valid for existing customers. I stated I've been a customer for more than 5 years and only had my account suspended while I sold my stick built and was waiting to have my new coach built. Sorry, you are not considered a long term customer if you suspend your account...Are you kidding me??? I asked for a Supervisor or MGR and all I got was they are currently not available... Really??? Just floors me!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #16
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Wish I could tell you to go to Dish Network, but in reality it's no different with them either. Talk to several different reps and get several different answers. Frustrating to say the least.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am between a rock and a hard place if I want to have "tv channels" to watch while on the road. I have a new game I am going to play with DirecTV ~ its called call them nightly to see what type of deal I can get for the day. I will continue to switch the packages until I find a cheap/reasonable price for the package I have. Once I do, then I will authorize my credit card company to release the hold I have on my card for not issuing any funds to DirecTV. A complete waste of time...absolutely, but hey it's my money they are dealing with here. If I am going to pay premium rates, I figure the least I can do is waste their labor dollars in tying up a customer service rep for as long as I can each day. Good thing I have unlimited cell minutes...
Old 07-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #18
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Any changes or updates? We are currently Direct TV customers, about 15+ years now, in our house and will be changing our service to the Montana when we sell our house and move.

Scott
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:59 AM   #19
remhob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10257
We have had both the dome and the Winegard. The Winegard is much more reliable in obtaining the signal and wins hands down. Agree with everything Jolu has said.
remhob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #20
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
We also have the Slimline and have only had 1 issue. We were parked on the Oregon Coast and it was really windy - really really windy. When we went to leave and put the dish down it stopped and showed an error. I panicked first, then turned the box off and back on and it came down fine. Not sure why it happened and has never happened again -
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote