Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Insignia TV Photos added

Anyone have anything to say (good or bad), about this brand of TV? I saw a very thin, LED widescreen, 22 inch that I am thinking of installing in the BR and can remove it easily to put in basement for outdoor viewing. Available in local Best Buys......Thanks for advice. Phil

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
The viewsonic in my rig blew up, and the insignia is what they gave me as a replacement

Picture is good (I'm not real picky, but it looks good to me!)

I've had it for about 2 or 3 months - only issue is that I can't get the DirectTV remote to control it's on/off (only the volume???)
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks Tom, really impressed with your numbers on your truck also. Those are some GREAT numbers!!!!!

Phil
Old 01-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kilch123

The viewsonic in my rig blew up, and the insignia is what they gave me as a replacement

Picture is good (I'm not real picky, but it looks good to me!)

I've had it for about 2 or 3 months - only issue is that I can't get the DirectTV remote to control it's on/off (only the volume???)
Our DishNet installer this winter informed us that they - and I assume Directv - quit coming up with codes for all the new brands and model of TVs that are exploding on the scene. They told us that we would have to just live with using two remotes for satellite and TV remotes.

They said they just couldn't keep up with all the new brands coming out... our bedroom TV is a Sansui and it is a 2 remote TV with DishNet...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I have one in the stick house just purchased...

DirecTV codes didn't work...so googled it and found this one did work... 10463 Mine is 32" tho
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:59 AM   #6
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We put an Insignia 26 In in the bedroom of our 3400, fit up very nicely, got the one with the built in dvd player. Now we have a nice storage cabinet behind it. We have a VERY expensive 32 inch in the living room and this $319.00 special is almost as good a picture for 1/4th the cost. Go figure. Put a quick disconnet mount on it but on second thought I won't take it outside, don't like bug bites with my TV viewing.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, I did it. I played carpenter today (not bad for a retired medic turned pilot), and mounted a 22 inch ultra thin, Insignia, LED/1080P HDTV in the bedroom cabinet. Added a vertical support to rear of cabinet door, set it back about three inches and installed a full motion wall mount thingy. Will add the DirecTv HD receiver and Sony DVD player once I get the wiring done. Also added a 4 to 1 HDMI switch box so all components will run thru HDMI cables. Will have another HDMI Cable run into basement sos I can take the TV outside to watch the games, weather permitting, of course. Trying to get ready for summer travel.

Will take photos and post when I get time. Looks pretty good though, DW thinks I am Bob Villa, SCORE!!!!!!!!

Charles, Thanks for the code, will keep that in mind when I hook up the system......Didn't realize that would be a problem......
Old 01-06-2010, 03:09 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sounds like a great conversion. I simplified my conversion.

I unscrewed the bottom shelf off of the back side and attached it flat against the back of the cupboard door with the curbed area leaving an access for the cables and power cord. Then I went to Wally World and bought a 50# (overkill) picture hanging hook and wire kit and I just hang the 26" LCD like a pic on the wall.

Not nearly as nice as yours, Phil, but when hung, you cannot see whats behind and it was at my skill level...

I do not leave it hung while traveling. I pack pillows and other stuff around it face down on the bed.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:29 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, Whatever works is great. I did not remember the old adage of "measure twice, cut once", so I have to do some more work on it. I wanted it to fit solid against the door but did not allow for the bevel in back of the TV when I measured. Need to put in some 3/4 inch spacers to make it fit flat. Oh well, it's not like I have so many other things to do......
Old 01-06-2010, 03:44 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I know what you mean, Phil.

My main difficulty was/is trying to adjust the opening on the door to the proper angle without it swinging open all the way... I may try a small bungie cord that I can adjust from behind?
Old 01-06-2010, 03:49 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Phil,
I don't have any experience with the Insignia, but Consumer Reports give the Insignia average to very good reviews, with the exception of viewing angle, which gets a fair. They rate it at 65 out of 100, and the 3 reviews by consumers rate it at a 4 star out of 5.

As for the remote, I was getting tired of picking up so many remotes to control everything, that I went out and purchased the Logitec Harmony 610 remote, on sale for $49 or so. This remote is neat. You load software onto the computer, plug in the supplied USB cable, tell the web site the model number of each of your equipments, and it programs it for you. The LCD display window has a help feature that if one of your pieces of equipment is not working you push the help button and it walks you through a couple button pushes to get it all working again. One button on and one button off for all equipment. Probably a little pricy for a bedroom TV - LOL
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:56 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Wayne, We have the Logitech 890 for the living room which has a built in RF transmitter, so we don't need to open any doors to operate it. Only problem the TV dropped off of it so I have to use the TV remote to turn TV on and off. We will get another universal remote for the BR as we will have a DirectTV Receiver and a DVD Player to control along with the TV. That way we don't even have to get out of bed, talk about lazy EH????? I do like the Logitech line and being able to program thru computer.......I had a universal remote in Alaska and had to hold it in front of each component remote and push buttons to program it. Pain in the keester, for sure. Especially since I had 8 components up there.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #13
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
If I remember correctly from the Consumer Reports article the Insignia is Best Buys house brand.

Dean Nelson
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I think you're right Dean. Guess it will be easy to return or get worked on, if need be. Just gotta remember to save the receipt.....
Old 01-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Photos of install: Sorry I don't know how to do it any other way. If you have questions please ask away.....

Old 01-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Very nice, Phil!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #17
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Nice Job Phil.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks guys, it goes in next Wednesday for the wiring. I have decided to just run an HDMI cable to the basement thru a hole in the floor so I can hook it up out there leaving the DirectTV receiver in the bedroom. Local RV shop wlll run RG6 into ent ctr for the DVR hookup and run a single RG6 into the front bedroom for that receiver, then an electrical plug into basement....I may even be ready for the Super Bowl, if the weather allows it........Not looking good for that now.......
Old 01-11-2010, 05:56 AM   #19
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Phil,

Cleverly done!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks everyone, tomorrow it goes in the RV shop for wiring. We are planning on dropping an HDMI cable from the front cabinet, where it will connect to the DirectTvHD receiver, and run it into the basement so I can put the TV where I want. This way I can leave the Receiver in the cabinet. Will have to go inside to change channels or get an RF remote and the thingy doos that you stick on the equipment. I guess I could get another TV for the basement, but I think that may be overkill. With all the new equipment going in the BR, it still weighs less than that analog TV that came out of there.

I MAY require some assistance at the Spring Rally to get wiring the way I want, Hopefully someone will be around to help me....