Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
You have to turn on the power

...to get your heat tape to work. My wife and I are going to be going full time in three weeks and we thought this weekend we would try out the Franklin County RV Park for our new home. When I checked in the desk told me the site was set for winter up to the spigot. Well, yesterday the low was 35 and tonight it is 17 and tomorrow 5 so I thought I will prepare a heat taped water hose. Got it all done, hooked it up and happily went back inside as it tried to snow. The Lord prompted me to look outside a couple of hours late, 28 degrees out, and see if the cord light was on. No light. Hmmm. Checked the breaker at the CG powerhead and turned the breaker on. Light and tape now work.

By the way there is another Montana and a Big Sky here. Haven't met them yet.

Later.

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:12 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yep, Mike, You gotta turn the power on. It has been freezing over night here for a week now. That heat tape works like a charm. I know full timing will be a great experience for you both. Looking forward to meeting you down the road.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:24 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Mike,
You could get one of those old military AN/GR-9 crank gens and sit inside and keep warm by cranking it.

Isn't electricity just magical. The things it can do for us.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:46 AM   #4
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Coincidence--Last Friday, we finally tackled lighting the Blaze King Catalyst Stove (with an automatic fan) in our new house. We've used Blaze Kings before, but this is the first time we've owned a brand new one. The lengthy installation/instruction booklet, a lot of it focused on avoiding damage to the catalytic converter, is typed using single spacing on 8.5" x 11" paper and is 48-pages long (actually, since it's typed on both sides of the pages, it amounts to 96 pages of reading). With very few diagrams, all those cautions and instructions were more than a little intimidating.

The instructions say that until the stove reaches a full burn for 30 minutes or so, the fan will not start; it's operated using an on/off switch and then a thermostat controls it. We turned on the fan switch, set the fan speed to match the thermostat on the stove, just like the instructions said to do, and then we waited . . . and waited . . .and nothing. So, back through the book, back to all the controls on the stove . . . still, nothing. I gave up for the evening and enjoyed the fire and warmth we had from the stove without the fan.

At 3:18 AM (hate those digital clocks), one of those "Aha!" moments awakened me. To operate a fan, you have to have power. To get power, you have to plug something in, meaning there was a cord somewhere. Five minutes later, power cord unearthed from where it was wrapped up tight and tucked into a little indention behind the stove (black stove, black cord, old eyes--missed it earlier), we had blast-off!

Carolyn

PS: As I write this (11:00 AM), the temperature is -16. We're having a heat wave compared to the weather during the last 36 hours.
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote