Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2008, 04:24 AM   #1
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
operating 2 computers

http://www.rvtravel.com/blog/digitalrv/
found this in "RV travel" that I get every saturday in my e-mail. It looks like it would be good for operating 2 different computers. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this unit?

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Why buy?

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Have not used this one, I took a look at the Windy31 web page. http://synetusa.com/m2/sub3.php Good price for a USB router.

I just purchased the Cradlepoint CT350 to use with my Verison card. Looks like the difference as I see it is the Windy31 will just find an existing wireless network and allow you the expand it. The Cradlepoint will take the Verison unit and create the network. It looks like the Windy31 has no place to attach the Verizon card, and inserting the Verizon card into another computer will not create a wireless network for another computer (or Windy31) to see and use.

Summary as I see it.
Windy31 good for those who need more than one wireless network connection and either find free hotspots, or pay as needed when available.
Cradlepoint good for those who need more than one wireless network connection and are using Verizon wireless USB cards.

Edit changed name to Cradlepoint.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Tom,
I see a place in my arsenal of gadgets for that sucker. It appears it would make for an easy 2nd computer connection. If you are using a USB WiFi adapter with a flat panel antenna hooked up to it and reach out and shake hands maybe 1/2 mile or more with a hotspot (line of sight) it may even be more helpful.
JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I use a Lynksys Wireless G54S (or something like that) with two computer hooked to it and I'm sitting here with the laptop doing wireless. DW gets on the iMac and I use the laptop. The PC can be used at the same time. About $60 for the Lynksys. Have been using it since 2005 for two computers and 8 months ago added the iMac.

I do like new gadgets though!!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also use a router with our verizon card so both of us can connect wirelessly. It works great. Ours is a different brand than the one shown, though. We have ours passworded but sometimes share our connection with neighbors, especially at rallies and other MOC gatherings. I know several people here do that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Our wireless modem combined with our wireless router brings the signal to both computers, It also allows us to work independently from each laptop with the wireless printer. The antenna and repeater also amplifies the signal to our cell phones. In Houma, LA, I am looking at 6 bars on the phone and experiencing near cable quality internet.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #8
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
Rogue, I've done a search for the Candlepoint that you mentioned but can't locate it. Do you have a source that you would provide? It would work for us as we also use the Verizon broadband card. Thanks, Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #9
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Sandy, my mistake the name should be "Cradlepoint". I talked with Alex at EVDO and found all the information at 3Gstore.com for the CTR350.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I'm with Skip on this one. We use Apple computers but it works the same as described for windows. I have a single wifi connection to one computer and share it wirelessly with several other computers in the house. No need for anything extra and it is just as fast as using one of the router devices....
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote