Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
High-Speed Internet

Some time ago I mentioned that I was looking into purchasing a Starband High-Speed satellite system and someone asked for a report. Well, I, we did and are glad we did. Total cost with training was $2,000 with a $200 rebate. Easily set up. Training was superb. Have a 5 GB bandwidth with 1.5 GB download and 512 MB upload speeds. For what Marge needs, this seemed to fit the bill and I was looking for something that was relatively easy to set up and align. No harder to set up than my DirecTV.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Orv....More information please. I see nothing on their web site about buying the equipment and nothing about a RV setup.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Orv....More information please. I see nothing on their web site about buying the equipment and nothing about a RV setup.
Go to http://www.rvnetworking.com/ and click on Products. I think you'll find all the info there.

Orv
Old 01-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks..Got to give that some serious thought. We have the Verizon air card and although we can get service of some sort in most places it is not good enough. Example here we are rarely above 200KBPS speed and Verizon says...so sorry...We need better..
Old 01-18-2008, 04:21 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Rich,
That's what you get for playing with fast flying airplanes all your life. Now that you are retired, sit back and enjoy the slower speed of life.

Turn the computer on
Go get a cup of coffee
go get a cup of coffee
Ad infinitum!

Starband and Hughes cost to much for me. I'll go sit in a Starbucks or similar place. Makes the coffee getting easier.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:40 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I was asked why did I go with Starband rather than Hughes? Cost and service. Hughes will not allow you to "legally" move your setup but Starband does. Starband trains you so that you are a bona fide installer and can tear down and set up according to Starband specs, avoiding adjacent satellite interference and interference with other satellite setups in RV parks. It is not my intention to convert anyone to High-Speed Satellite communication. Just wanted to pass on some info that someone else asked for.

Orv
Old 01-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When on the road and that is many months out of the year we rely on internet service for..everything all of our bill paying is by internet. The verizon air card coverage is erratic at best and usually very slow. I am using Dspriks high speed service as we speak (1.5 MB) because my Verizon service is reading 126Kbps. We are having a "serious discussion" with Verizon.Seems that everywhere we go it is a low signal area...right....We need better and reliable service.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have been with Hughes for 5 years now, and the last two have been on the road. It is not a case of "legally" it is a case of they won't support you if you have a problem. If you go with a distributor as you did for your starband system they are your support system and usually they take care of the problems you run into with your various systems. With Starband it is easier to change birds than with Hughes. We are on AMC-9 (83 west) and have had no problems so far and Bard has helped us with the few problems we did have and has supplied some equipment also. one of the other things I like about the Sat systems is that I can always get on a bird, I can't always get a cell phone system. We got Hughes because we live in an area in northern Wisconsin that has very poor phone services (hardline) and almost no cell service even with a 3 watt booster and exterior antenna. When we hit the road I just pull out my spare dish and tripod and put the modem in the rig and off we go... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Orv,
Don't get me wrong. I would like to have one, but the expense does not justify my use. I spend a lot of time on the computer, just ask my DW.

I also use bill payer, but now I have set up everything to pay automatically. I use one credit card for all my purchases on the road, and when I am hooked up I just do a transfer to that CC. If I miss, it will automatically be deducted on next payment date.

We have all become computer junkies. Hey! What else do we have to do.

The last time I was out (Corpus Christi) there was a Starband in the camp ground. They had a wireless Lynksys set up and allowed anyone in the CG access to it. Prior to their arrival I had to ride a mile or so down the road for connectivity. I was glad the Starband (with Motorhome) was there. I hope you consider sharing at CG's also.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:29 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I let others share with my setup, if I know them. I'm not too crazy about every Tom, Dick and Harry (no offense if those are any of your names) using my system. We've only had the system since January 16th and already have been bombarded with requests for access. If I don't know the people I just tell them that my policy is to keep my unit secure.

Waynem,
You're right, it's expensive. But because my wife maintains several websites for churches, she found that she needed the bandwidth and download and upload speeds afforded by the High-speed capability of our Nova 1500.

Orv
Old 01-19-2008, 04:43 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had bad experience with the auto deduct from the paycheck for bill paying. At times it took the bank autopay 4 to 6 days at times more for the payment to be delivered.There was never any explaination as to why it took so long and you can draw a late charge for a day late. By paying on line on our own we have control as to the payment date. Our Verizon aircard is costing us @ 720.00 per year and we are not getting our monies worth. There is NO signal here today.Using Dave's hi speed internet.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:28 AM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
IIRC, the "legality" issue with the satellite internet system is the transmitting. I checked on the Wild Blue system when they first came out, and installation required an FCC license of some sort. I know if I had one, I wouldn't concern myself with that issue; but there is always that "chance".
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:36 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I guess my term of "legally" is really a misnomer. What I meant to say is that Hughes does not respond to all who are moving their satellite systems. Yes, dealers will respond as they can, but sometimes it is necessary for the user to get help directly from Hughes. And that is where the rub comes. Since it wasn't designed to be moved, Hughes expects you to be at your home of record. Whereas with Starband, you are where you are. When you move locales, you call in to make sure you are meeting all the correct parameters, that is, no interference with adjacent satellites, etc. We also get help from our dealer. In fact, we are to call them first if we have any problems.

Orv
Old 01-19-2008, 06:25 AM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Orv,
You have a distinct need for high speed and your choice is right for your needs. I don't know about the security of the Starband, but I would guess that it is as secure as a Lynksys and you should not have any problems if it is set up correctly. The Starband system that I hooked up to publicly was very secure. I never got into a discussion as to how they had it maintained.

Rich,
If I were paying $700+ a year without good reception, and have a need, I would also consider Satellite. I'm just not sure that my justifications of $2000 initial investment, and an additional ~$800 a year connectivy is within my present budget. There are to many other toys I want first. Of course, we all know that the difference between men and boys is the price they pay for their toys! :-)
Old 01-20-2008, 03:23 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We will have a chat with EVDOalex to see if we can get anything better in the aircard/router. We get great Verizon service at home but it has been less tha satisfactory across the country.Let me explain..there are few places were we can not get a connection..here it is near always under 200Kbps..that is vveerryy slow. Verizons stand is..well you have a connection so it is working.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:13 AM   #16
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Rich, We are in the midle of the Ocala National Forest with a very weak signal when we first got here so I used the parks wifi.. I didn't like using the wifi so talked with EVDOAlex and got the Wilson Antenna to put in my Verizon aircard and now I have speeds of 423kbps down and 298 uploading... I am thrilled with the speed that I can post the pictures on our blog and have my security back.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:14 AM   #17
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Rich,

Do you have any external antenna hooked up to your card???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:22 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes we have the wilson same as Ademoll.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #19
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Our sprint air card works very well on the road. We get speed. Use it with a Linksys router. It is not working satisfactory right now at home. Something to do with the tower. Has worked well. They are working on it now.

Orv we may consider the set up you have when we go full time. I would like to ask you more questions then, if I may.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dustytuu

Our sprint air card works very well on the road. We get speed. Use it with a Linksys router. It is not working satisfactory right now at home. Something to do with the tower. Has worked well. They are working on it now.

Orv we may consider the set up you have when we go full time. I would like to ask you more questions then, if I may.
No problem. I'll share whatever I know.

Orv