Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2007, 03:50 AM   #1
aaadave
Established Member

M.O.C. #5261
wireless card

hi all, i have an hp notebook with built in wireless g card. i would like to get another card, an n or n1 for greater range. i have seen belken, linksey,d-link and net gear cards. which card is best? thanks for the help, dave.

aaadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:56 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
My understanding is that you getting an n card won't help anything, unless the transmitter is also an n. So far, I have not seen any n WiFi spots. Now if you are talking of an internal network where you have both the tranmitter (router) and reciever operating under n, that would be a different story. That is my understanding, others may have other information.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:07 AM   #3
aaadave
Established Member

M.O.C. #5261
thanks john, i know the cards will work with the built in g, but as you say, it may require an n transmitter as well. i can put my wireless expertise on the head of a pin.lol. just wanting to extend the range a little. maybe an external anntenna. thanks, dave.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:43 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Then I would look at the Hawking card that comes with provision for a variety of external antennae. I bought mine at CompUSA for under $100 and it works well.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:15 AM   #5
aaadave
Established Member

M.O.C. #5261
thanks john, i'll check into that. dave.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #6
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I finally gave up and purchased a cell phone air card. It was working great until the mother board went out on my old laptop. I haven't got the new card for my upgraded computer yet so I am not much help.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Yes, I agree with Okie Guy. I have only had my Verizon air card for a week, but it is great. I'm not sure I would even bother using WiFi in future, even if it were available and free. I never liked letting the availability of WiFi govern my choice of places to stay.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:20 AM   #8
aaadave
Established Member

M.O.C. #5261
i tried the verizon card and it worked great away from home, the problem i had is that there is nothing but dial up were we live, and it worked a little slower than dail up, which i could live with, but it was constantly disconnecting which made it hard to use. it will be another year before we fulltime so i could'nt justify the cost for only 3 or 4 trips a year. maybe when we retire i'll try again. dave.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #9
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:aaadave Posted - Nov 11 2007 : 08:20:07 AM
i tried the verizon card and it worked great away from home, the problem i had is that there is nothing but dial up were we live, and it worked a little slower than dail up, which i could live with, but it was constantly disconnecting which made it hard to use. it will be another year before we fulltime so i could'nt justify the cost for only 3 or 4 trips a year. maybe when we retire i'll try again. dave.
Sorry to hear that Dave. Did you try a booster amplifier and/or an outside antenna? That should help, unless you are in a area that doesn't have Verizon Broadband Revision "A".
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:44 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We had to go to Sprint, Verizon kept promising to come to the Irish Hills, we got tired of waiting for "V".

Sprint is working quite well here, I actually have ping times 4 times faster than we were getting with Direcway/Hughes net. Do you see silly grin on our faces?? It is surely faster than dial up.

Would have preferred staying with Verizon, but, they snooze, they lose!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #11
aaadave
Established Member

M.O.C. #5261
don, we had national access only. no broadband. i thought about an anntenna, but we was on the 30 day free trial and did'nt want to spend the money on a hunch. we have a cellular south tower about 1/2 mile from the house and was assured by verizon that they would have good signal trough their tower, but it just did'nt work that way. went to sprint, and was told that if their phones wont work there,which they wont, neither will their usb card. just one of those things i guess. dave.