Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2007, 06:29 AM   #21
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've been using computers (and consider myself somewhat well-versed in them) since the DOS days and have realized that it is best not to upgrade to the "new" operating systems until all the bugs are worked out. In most cases (not all), when the operating systems begin to come with new computers, then you can usually figure that the bugs have been mostly worked out.

My wife had a laptop with ME on it and we tried to upgrade to XP, the computer would not work no matter what we did. However I had a desktop with Windows 98 SE on it and upgraded to XP without any problem. Go figure!

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:41 AM   #22
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We bought a new desk top HP with Vista on it. We still have our two laptops with XP, thankfully.
The vista will not work with most software. It does work with the printer that came with it. I use Power Tools,they don't have a version yet for Vista. I love the "power Tools" but can not use them on the new computer. It also won't read many of my back up disk. Some of the disk won't read at all and somethings will read not the complete disk. I like my CD writer better with the old Window's 98 and the one with the laptops XP. I wish they would give people a option to use Vista or XP when buying a new computer!!!! Also have experienced some freeze ups with the vista.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:03 PM   #23
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
I used Vista for 3 months. It crashed all the time, didn't recognize USB devices most of the time and is was SLOW SLOW SLOW.

If you're fed up like I was call Microrosoft and demand a licensing downgrade to XP. They are quietly downgrading thousands every week. If you're buying a new computer you CAN insist on XP.

I told the Microsoft rep that if they didn't make me happy I was going to download Ubuntu and Open Office for all 5 of the computers in my house and never run any MS OS again.

MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:11 AM   #24
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Well after ten months and the changes made to Vista , along with the softwares now working with Vista, I am very happy with mine and would not go back to XP. I sure wasn't happy with it when I first got it though. I haven't had any problems with the USB ports.. In fact, I use the Verizon Wireless USB to get online.

I wonder how the rest of you with Vista are doing now? Joyce.. Are you there?

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:52 PM   #25
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I bought a new laptop today with Vista. The graphics are INCREDIBLE! I love the graphics. I just can't figure out how to use anything else.lol I hope to get some help from those of you who are using this new system.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:48 PM   #26
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Our desktop finally gave up the ghost. So bought a Gateway Prem. Lap top last May and of course it had Vista (was told it was very easy to manover) Have since found it is Not User Friendly, it assumes you know what u are doing. I can convert to XP, but will cost $$$$ to do so. Very disappointed, would like my Windows 98 back. Also, was told by Gateway that Microsoft will not be in the windows business in the future. Vista is the last of the line.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:44 AM   #27
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
When my Dell died, I went looking for a replacement and ended up getting a MacBook with Windows XP loaded on it. That way I can use both Mac OS X or Windows XP and don't ever have to think about Vista. I had not previously realized that the new Macs can run Windows, but they can, and do it well.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:25 AM   #28
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Quote:
quote:I, too, have a new Dell notebook which qualifies for the free Vista upgrade. I have not received it yet, but do plan to get it. THEN I will let it 'sit' and may never install it.
Since I replied (above quote) when this topic was first posted, I'll give an update.

On the notebook computer which came with a Vista upgrade, I did wait several months and then only installed Vista when I was assured that I could reverse the installation and restore Windows XP. I got full directions from Dell as to this process. In fact, I have not restored XP, but continue to run Vista on that computer. It is important to note that this is NOT my main computer so I have somewhat more freedom to experiment a bit. So far, no major problems only some software incompatibility.

In June, before a trip to Europe, I decided to buy a very lightweight laptop from Dell for the trip. I requested XP as the operating system and that was done without any hesitation on Dell's part.

Bottom line: If I had only one computer, I would probably prefer to work with XP as the operating system. On my 'main' computer, I am still more comfortable using XP. MicroSoft is not likely to drop support for XP anytime soon. I am continuing to uee Vista on a notebook computer with almost no difficulty.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:04 PM   #29
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We have not encountered any of the problems described in this thread. We bought a new toshiba laptop at Best Buy a couple of months ago and had the "geek squad" remove stuff we didn't want and install some other things. It works great and it has vista.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:12 PM   #30
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Have to agree with the above posts. We bought a new Dell with Vista 3 months ago, and have had no problems getting our peripherals connected to the new Vista operating system.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:27 PM   #31
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
My Update...I have removed all of the preloaded sales junk from the computer and It isn't that much different from Windows XP. The main thing I have noticed is the start window doesn't expand the program box like Windows of the past. Internet options are easy to set up. The Wireless service detection is really neat and easy to use.
The one thing I wish I could figure otu how to remove is the yahoo search bar on the bottom the task bar.
I hope more are having good experiences with this program. As with everything it just takes a little surfing to get everything figured out.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote