Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Acid reflux, Quart containers for Tums; No more!

Anyone who has had acid reflux and trouble sleeping, because of eating anything but toast and poached eggs, should see their doctor.
I was just in for a ‘Tune up’, Sue had a long standing Dr’s appointment for her health, so I scheduled one for mine.
I mentioned my acid reflux to my doctor, who started writing a prescription as I was explaining symptoms.
I am on my 12th day a 14 day treatment of taking one pill in the morning, each day.
There have been no symptoms for my indigestion at all.
I have not taken even one Tums tablet, no discomfort, no reflux.
I always took 3 Tums each time we finished eating, gobbled them like candy, I had to.
Last Sunday I even had Hooters hot wings-no problems at all.
Yesterday, I skipped lunch, around 8:00 in the evening I had a few Corona’s and two large slices of greasy pizza-no problems at all.
I would have been sitting on the couch popping Tums at 2:00 in the morning before I was on the new pills. (Prilosec) Probably spelled wrong….
You owe it to yourself to try this out if you are having problems.
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:00 PM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Ozz, I have been taking these for years and now you can buy them over the counter at all drug stores. I am glad that you have found out about them.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I am so glad I did, happy you are doing better with them as well.
(My Doc. gave me a bag of them, so I didn't have to buy them yet.)
Is this a pill we take for the rest of our lives, or just the first set of pills? It says to stop after 14 pills.
Thanks,
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Ozz,
I am afraid you will need to take "the little purple pill" for the rest of your days. I know it seems long, but think of how good it makes you feel! Unfortunately, you have GERD: GastroEsophagel Reflux disease. The closing between your food pipe (esophagus) and your stomach (also known as the esophogeal sphincter) isn't competent anymore and you have stomach acid that comes back up. This is really a problem; because the mucosal lining of your stomach can withstand a pH of 2.0, (which is the pH of HCL, hydrocholoric acid made in your stomach) but your esophagus cannot. Over time, this acid will eat at the mucosal lining of the esophagus and change the nature of the cells, this is caused Barrett's syndrome. These cells can be precancerous and lead to serious issues down the road, problems such as ulcers or cancer.
The next generation purple pill is Nexxium. It is made by the same folks as Priolosec. These agents are PPI's, Proton Pump Inhibitors. They act on the little pumps in your stomach that secrete the HCL, so you actually make less acid. Tums just treats the acid, it's a base that neutralizes the acid. PPI's actually inhibit acid production.
Glad you got it under control! Definitely better for your health long term...
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:20 PM   #5
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Ozz, Maybe your Doctor gave you something different but the Prilosec that my Doctor gave me was a scrip for Two years and was pricey, then they started selling them over the counter and they work and look the same. You might check them out the next time you are in wally world that is where I get mine. I was eating ROLAIDS all the time and must have paid for their AD's LOL
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:49 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Ozz, take them! I had a cousin who was bothered with a lot of reflux who refused to take the pills. He died of cancer of the esophagus. That reflux doesn't belong in the esophagus. Be wise.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:50 PM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
WOW Tara, that's a great explanation. I can tell you weren't sleeping in class.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:10 PM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
That was a great explanation, for sure. Very interesting.

I was also a sufferer of acid reflux, and was taking the purple pill for a while and it really helped. Then I had a sleep study done because my wife mentioned my snoring and sleep apnea. I began using a CPAP device, and since I started, no more acid reflux.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:16 PM   #9
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Ozzie,
Yep, again that lower esophageal sphincter (LES)tone. With the CPAP, it keeps the acid from coming back the wrong way by adding a certain amount of positive pressure during the ventilatory cycle. You probably just had a weak LES. Glad to hear you can do without the meds...they aren't cheap!
t
Old 11-21-2006, 02:38 PM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Yes, it's great doing without the meds, I'm awful when it comes to taking pills these days. I absolutely try to avoid them after having neck surgery and countless bottles of pills. Instead, my battle is with claustrophobia and a mask.

Since you seem to know about this...

If I have (had?) a weak LES, will using the CPAP allow some healing since it is no longer subject to exposure of the acid?
Or even to try and stay on topic, using the purple pill will allow healing to take place?
I love being able to learn about this stuff...

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:42 PM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I did the Prilosec about 2 years ago and it really helped. I have a badly scarred esophagus that resulted from very severe morning sickness (was hospitalized from it) when I had my children. Then I developed what was explained as spastic esophagus. Had some bad attacks of this. However, the morning I had my heart attack I thought it was the spastic esophagus as the pain felt the same. Glad my Aunt was here to convince me otherwise. What I started all this to say was you can't take Prilosec when you are taking certain blood pressure and heart medication. So said my doctor. When I did take the Priolsec the doctor (this was a different doctor) told me to take it the 14 days and then in 3 or 4 months if I was bothered again to do another 14 days but only if needed.
Tara, thanks for the great explanation. Nice to have a medic on our forum.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:54 PM   #12
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
If you are symptom free,then there is probably no acid in the esophagus and the healing will take place. Those new mucosal cells will grow in place of the old ones; the digestive track is constantly replacing its lining. As long as you aren't having any symptoms of the acid, you are ok. If is starts burning again, then I'd think about restarting the meds.
t
Old 11-21-2006, 04:23 PM   #13
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Tara you are right on with your explanation. Several years ago I was taking prilosec and it actually was not doing any good so I had surgery that repaired my hiatal hernia to stop the reflux. The surgery was hard but the results were excellent. I have not had a problem since.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:56 PM   #14
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I have taken Losec for about 7yrs. it sure beats walking around with a pocket of Rolaides and I sure don't miss the heartburn
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:00 PM   #15
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
I've been taking 1 Prilosec a day for 15 years, cured all problems with indigestion. I buy them down in Mexico, $6.00 for 120 pills.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:17 AM   #16
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
I had acid reflux for a number of years and took several different meds by scrip before they became OTC meds. I was on Protonix, Prilosec, Nexxium...then last year I lost 45 pounds and changed my diet and the reflux was gone! I guess the extra weight and bad food habits had a major influence on this. All I know is that it is so nice not to have it. However, if I'm bad and eat certain foods, I will get it back for a day.
CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:57 AM   #17
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Omeprazole is the generic form of Prilosec and if you get your doctor to prescribe that it is cheaper than buying it OTC.

If you have reflux, you should ask your doctor to do an H.pylori test (bacteria). I was one of the "fortunate" ones who had that as the cause of my GERD. I took antibiotics for it and no more GERD. Roy unfortunately still has to take omeprazole.

I am sure your doctor has told you to raise the head of your bed at least 6 inches and not to eat 3 hours before bedtime, reduce your caffeine and chocolate intake, etc. Even Pepsi and other carbonated products can cause a flare. With the late working hours and busy lives we have, GERD is an epidemic in this country. I do medical transcription and the patients are getting younger and younger with it.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 04:55 AM   #18
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Cheryl, I did the same thing about 5 years ago and no more problem.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:07 PM   #19
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
It all boils down to OZZ having to stop with the CORONA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Going to leave that much more for the rest of us. ha ha

All kidding aside, It's a real ""WONDER"" modern day medicine...I would have never imigined packing a medicine chest for my MONTANA TRIPS..
GOD, to be 30 and BULLET PROOF again!!!!!! John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 03:56 PM   #20
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
For those that are taking those Tums and Rolaids, watch out that you don't end up with Kidney Stones. I had to rush hubby to the ER because he had kidney stones. The doctor said that the extra calcium in the Tums was causing the stones. He stopped the Tums and he hasn't had a problem since. When he eats something that he knows might give him heartburn he takes Pepcid.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote