Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Rio Grande Winter Texans
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2005, 05:03 AM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
RGV packing - what is important

We are packing for hopeful escape on the 27th. (weather being the big issue)

I just was running through the cookbook in preparation for the holiday meal and ran across some of our favorite recipes for pot luck dinners, group get togethers, etc.

They are now packed! I hope to shove the bread maker in there somewhere too, that is still to be determined.

I hope I will need ALL these recipes while we are in the RGV, which means we will be gettin together with a lot of MOC members!

Now, if ya all would pray for NO major snow/ice/freezing rain storms on the 26, 27, 28 and 29th!

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:32 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Drive careful. Hope you have a safe, uneventful trip with no snow or freezing rain. See you in the valley.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:30 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Carol-
Don't forget the shorts and flops as the weather man is saying 70 degrees for Christmas Eve unlike the 25 and 12" of snow we had last year. Not that much difference in my weather bug than Bill's for McAllen. Have a safe trip and enjoy your stay in Texas again this year.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:34 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Just make sure to take Al and the dogs!

We hope to be following you a few days later. Let us know if you encounter anything we ought to know about. (Our trailer is already half way there, so the weather is not quite as big a concern for us, but I'd rather do without any snow and ice).

Merry Christmas to all!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:53 PM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Yeah! Potlucks! I can't wait to meet everybody. I feel like I'm waiting for a family reunion to start.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 03:07 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
OntMont,

Al and the dogs are UNFORGETABLE!

Imagine we will have cell phone only on the way down, will try to connect and report in, try is the key word, we all know that sometimes those ole cells are hard to deal with! Sorta like ice on the satelitte dish on the roof! SIGH

see ya in the Valley
Old 12-19-2005, 09:41 PM   #7
JLBOZ60
Montana Master

M.O.C. #826
We're hoping that you have the weather which we had when we left Cleveland on the 14th. The roads were clear and we just had a few snow flurries going through Ohio. We will be in the Atlanta area until the 22nd at which time we will head west and south. Looking forward to seeing everyone in the Valley. Everyone drive safely. Marge
JLBOZ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:14 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Yeah, I love this thread. It means we're that much closer to leaving for the Valley, too. Can't wait to meet everyone.

We will leave Alabama on the 29th and then we'll be in Fort Worth at Holiday Park on Benbrook Lake until the 7th or 8th visiting our son and his family (granddaughters, yeah!) and then will drive south. We are SOOOO looking forward to our stay there.

Love the idea of those potlucks, Carol.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 02:43 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
They are predicting higher temps Fri and Sat, but rain/snow mix with it. Al says there is like 3 to 4 inches of ice on the dish, not sure even 2 days of warmer temps will do that situation any good. We are praying FOR NO RAIN!! As that will turn the dirt roads in to olympic ice skating rinks and we won't be able to drive out for anything, specially with Montana. Almost wish it would just stay cold.

Getting outta here always turns into a spicy event!
Old 12-20-2005, 03:05 AM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

OntMont,
] Sorta like ice on the satelitte dish on the roof! SIGH
That is why I don't have my dishes on the roof. At least in a pinch, I can go out and sweep the snow off them. See you soon. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:01 AM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Al says we had to put on the roof to get over the trees. Whatever, tis the first time it has been a problem for more than maybe 12 hours. Never for days on end, but we have never had ice cycles on the house either, in over 10 years, and we do now! The snow would have blown off by now, but the hunks of ice are a different matter alltogether. One good thing, it sure is another reason to head for Mission, FREE WIFI!!! And, believe me, I cannot wait! HAHA
Old 12-20-2005, 05:45 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We plan on leaving Independence, MO, on January 2nd, arriving Mission, TX, late afternoon of the 5th. We probably won't be online enroute as we have plans to visit with friends two of the three nights. We're also watching the weather forecasts closely. The 10-day forecast covers up through the 29th at this point and is showing beautiful weather that entire period. In a few days they'll forecast for the 2nd. If that forecast is very bad we may leave a few days early. Hope not, though, as we're keeping both the 6-yr old granddaughter and the 2-yr old New Years Eve. We had both of them overnight a couple of weeks ago and they had a ball. As did we.

See you all in the valley.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:27 PM   #13
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
OK, we made Brinkley Arkansas. The winterizing of the house, turned nasty, as we had trouble with the hot water heater, we were up till almost midnight working on it. grrrrrrrrrrrr

Next AM we found black ice on drive, so the last minute loading was NOT a lot of fun. Hooking up was a slip and slide event. The 1.5 dirt road ride was actually basically uneventful! HIP HIP

We made Effingham Illinois late last night about 8 PM. Driving at dark, ICK!@!

Made Brinkley Arkansas tonight just at dusk. Much better!

We are pretty tired, but have WATER and showers are coming up! OH YEA!

For those that drive 55/57 Illnois, Missouri and Arkansas, we were pleased to see some improvements in the road conditions, as we felt it was a close 2nd to I 10. Much better. NOT to say there are some roads that need a bit more, BUT, better.

See ya all in the Valley
Old 12-28-2005, 02:59 PM   #14
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glad the weather allowed you to get out on schedule, Carol, even though it doesn't sound like it was easy. Take care and travel safely. We will pull out tomorrow afternoon after Glen makes an unexpected trip to the dentist for a cracked filling. We can't ignore such a condition as it is too painful.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:49 PM   #15
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Drive safely and think warm... we are in the Austin area and it was in the 70's today. The valley will be even warmer.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:08 PM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Carol
Glad to hear you made it that far. Hope the rest is easier. Safe travels. Have fun and WARM.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:13 PM   #17
JLBOZ60
Montana Master

M.O.C. #826
Some things just never go as planned, but you have made it out safe and headed to warmer weather. Isn't it great to have WATER and SHOWERS and a good nites rest! Drive careful. We will see everyone in the RGV. Marge
JLBOZ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:53 PM   #18
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Well, this is not bad, we stopped west of LA/TX line on I 20, and found a KOA, with WIFI (OHHHHH YESA!!!!!), free cable, free instant phone (now, WHO can I call locally?? NOONE! >G>G>G HA HA HA HA HA)

Anyway, we were in Brinkley Arkansas this AM and came out of there on 79 south to I 20. The ride on 79 was very nice, the sun was out, the terrain was gentle, the views wonderful, the temps were fab!! It got to 71 today. We have not turned on the furnace or electric heaters YET. AHhh, SWEET!!!!! But, around Shreveport, 20 got HORRID!! My upper back is screaming from the bouncing! UGHHHH.

We had an interesting day, little excitement when we missed a turn, or thought we did. We ended up thinking it was a CORRECT turn, as we found gas, some great chicken for lunch, and a Wallyworld for a few supplies, all in one stop! Really did not lose anything, the "wrong" turn was not that big a deal, maybe a couple of extra miles.

We hope to be in Bentson Palms Village by PM on the 31st.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:10 PM   #19
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Glad you enjoyed 79. Sure glad we found that route.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:12 PM   #20
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Carol and Al: Let me be the first to welcome you to the Valley for another winter.