Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2005, 03:43 PM   #1
Phil Poindexter
Established Member

M.O.C. #4125
Generators and rv batteries

On occasion we boon dock for up to 4 days at a time. We have a 2000k Honda generator.

Last month in New Mexico at 6,500' elevation it was chilly and we ran the furnace. Batteries really started going down. Sos the next morning I plugged in the shore-power line to the Honda and let it run for about 3 hours. That night after running the furnace for a short while, the batteries charge seemed to be about where they were before I Charged them up that morning.

I have heard that charging with a generator via shore power/inveter, etc. does not do a great job. Would it be better to hook up generator directly to battery and by pass the shore power line? The Honda will put out about 8 amps.

Anybody have any ideas or comments???

Thanks,
Phil

Phil Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:03 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I would think going to the source would be the best way to go.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:15 PM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I assume you have good connections to your battery. We had problems with our furnace igniting because the connector was corroded at the battery. The furnace started great on the generator but the battery wasn't taking the charge. We hooked the power cord to the generator.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:28 PM   #4
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Phil,

You might also consider using a multi-stage battery charger plugged into the generator to charge the batteries. The converter on the Montana or the 8 amps from the 12 volt generator connection are not as good as a dedicated battery charger.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:01 AM   #5
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Also if I remember right the converter as a fast charge side to it. I believe you put a pigtail short like phone line on the converter to jump it over to the fast charge. I've never done this but remember seeing it in the books.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 06:25 AM   #6
Phil Poindexter
Established Member

M.O.C. #4125
Thanks all for the response. Right now the Monty is in the shop getting warranty work done plus getting the furnace remote control replaced with the the regular wall unit. Been having real problems with it like so many other new MOnty owners.

Our batteries are clean and non corroded. I'll check the inverter to see if we have the one that can short out the slow charge and initiate the faster charge. Also will be talking with Honda again to learn more about their direct battery charger vs. a seperate multi stage chager. I know we should be careful when charging directly without charging control.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:13 AM   #7
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
We charge through the inverter also. It usually works well, but lately I have noticed the same problem you have had. The indicator shows a full charge but the batteries die quick. I think mine is because one of my three batteries is bad. The bad battery is taking charge away from the two good batteries.
Now all I have to do is figure out which battery is the bad one.
Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:24 AM   #8
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
We have found that an indpendant three stage battery carger works much better and faster. since we have 400 amps storage,we can use a 40 amp. charger ( thats what is recomended--10% of capacity ) this is fired by our honda EU3000 so you would have to check on whattage used by your EU2000. Happy boondocking---Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:18 PM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I don't know about the Honda Generators, but my Generac has a 12 v outlet, but that is all it puts out - 12 volts, you really need more like 14 volts to charge a battery. This why I think using the converter, or better yet, a good battery charger plugged into the generator, would be more effective.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 04:07 AM   #10
Berry Patch
Established Member

M.O.C. #351
I just completed a two week, boon dock, deer hunt. My battery would run down and not let the furnace run. Then I ran a seperate cord from the Honda EU2000 to a battery charger connected to the battery. This would charge the battery every time I started the generator to have 12 volt power. I checked the battery water frequently but never had to add any water. This worked so well that I got an eight point buck.
Berry Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 05:17 AM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Congrats on the buck. Good eating ahead!
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 09:06 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil Poindexter

On occasion we boon dock for up to 4 days at a time. We have a 2000k Honda generator.

I have heard that charging with a generator via shore power/inveter, etc. does not do a great job. Would it be better to hook up generator directly to battery and by pass the shore power line? The Honda will put out about 8 amps.

Anybody have any ideas or comments???

Thanks,
Phil
When you charge using your Honda 2000i are you charging through the converter or inverter? I have an inverter and I can charge my batteries using my Honda 2000i by running my generator about 4 hours in the evening or 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening. I have 500 amp/hours in my batteries and I've never experienced the difficulty you are talking about.

On the other hand, if you are charging through a converter, then yes, the charge is much, much slower. It is like a trickle charge and the Honda 2000i,or any other generator for that matter, will not charge your batteries in 4 hours.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:02 AM   #13
Phil Poindexter
Established Member

M.O.C. #4125
We'll be going to Quartzite and drycamping for a few days this Janyary. Based on all your kind responses, I will look into and purchase a regualr battery charger, rated to handle about 10 amps or so, and hook directly to the battery. Thanks to you all!
Phil
Old 11-30-2005, 07:13 AM   #14
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Dewey, congrats on the buck!!!! I agree with you, the inverter is designed to run your 12 volt electrical system I dont know what voltage the charger puts out ,but it doesent appear to put much of a charge into the battery. a reasonably good 3stage charger is not expensive and wont cook your batteries. I'm sure it works fine with a EU2000 gen set ----Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote