Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2005, 09:00 AM   #1
Ontheroad
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #551
La Posa LTVA

Has anyone stayed on one of the La Posa LTVA's near Quartzite?
Ellie and I will be staying near Phoenix this winter and would like to do a week or so of desert camping. Our dream spot would be away from everyone else. Is this possible in February/March?

Ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:43 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I have not stayed at one, but would be interested in learning about what they are. So, please tell us, what is an LTVA? (Long Term Vacation Area???)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:02 PM   #3
Ontheroad
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #551
close but no cigar.
Long term visitor area.
It is an area where you can boon dock in the desert for up to seven months. BLM also has areas set aside where you can stay up to two weeks. I think these areas have water & dump stations available.
Ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sph77

Has anyone stayed on one of the La Posa LTVA's near Quartzite?
Ellie and I will be staying near Phoenix this winter and would like to do a week or so of desert camping. Our dream spot would be away from everyone else. Is this possible in February/March?
We have spent the past two January's in the Quartzite area. But we have never stayed in the LTVA. We did drive thru just to see what they were. You must pay to stay in the LTVAs but not in the 14 day areas. I think they offer some services in the LTVA. I seem to remember a bathroom. Not sure of that. I know they do have dumpsters for trash. They may also offer water and dump station but again not sure. Sorry I'm not any more help.

I can tell you that the units are parked relatively close to each other in these areas. Not like in commercial areas though. In the 14 day areas you can park as close or as far apart as you like.

North of town on Plomosa Rd. there are many open places to park. If you keep going east on this road you will end up in a little town called Bouse. Just west of this town there are some places to park. Actually there are some pretty nice spots. You are up in the foothills looking down into a little valley.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 12:31 PM   #5
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
SPH77, I 'm sure there is a 25$ charge for 14 days in the LTVAI think it's 75 for a 6 month pass But, there IS an area just East of Quartzsite that is free (for 14 days ) this is a side road along I-10 ,area called Scadan wash very large area that gives you all the room you want. With a CB call you can get thepump-out truck to visit .water also ,I believe but I dont advise it ( I've seen them filling at a fire hydrant and Quartzsite water is awful!!! We will be out there around Jan.10-15 and plan on staying the rest of the month . maybe we can all get together=====Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 02:07 PM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Dave, it looks like we will be there also along with Renee and Michael (golfnuts). Hope to get together with you so you can buy us all a nice Mexican meal!!
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:11 AM   #7
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Doug, unfortunatly I remember a GOOD mexican restraunt in Q, but I think I may be sick that night !!!!~!Dave
Old 11-14-2005, 03:41 PM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Take your vitamins Dave, the margaritas taste better when you are there.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:23 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
This sounds like a dangerous combination....Doug and Sharon, Michael and Renee, and bad Mexican food. Then add the rest of the MOCers. I'm glad I'll be in Texas.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:25 AM   #10
GOFNUTS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3053
Ah, come on Judy, we're not dangerous, much!! This will be quite an experience, our first attempt at boondocking, but we will be in the gracious experienced company of Doug & Sharon and Dennis & MaryKay. So, we're sure we will learn lots and enjoy!! Dave and Kelly, we are looking forward to seeing you also, especially since you couldn't make it to Minden, NV.
GOFNUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:45 AM   #11
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Hey, Bob is talking about quartsite in January. Are the 6 of you camping in the same area?
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:50 AM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
FireTruckerWife,
Wow! Glad to hear you folks are thinking of doing the Q thing. Come on down. It'll be great. I'm trying to get the group to park up on Plamosa Rd..... much less dust.... But I think Dave and Kelly are parking out east of town. The nice thing is there is so much space you can park anywhere someone else isn't already parked and not feel the least bit crowded.

Hope you guys can make it. See you there.

Dennis and Mary Kay
Old 11-30-2005, 06:59 AM   #13
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Hi Folks; we're not locked on to any one spot, but the place that Gypsy goes sounds great it's called "Boomerville" (because of all the Babyboomers) and started by escapees,which is well known,and we belong. Its just past where we camped at Scadan Wash,a VERY big area and the price is right(free ) BUT would like to see Dennis & Mary Kay so we might unhitch, run around and scout out all the spots in question. We will tune our CB's to ch 13 at 10-12 & 2 when we're in the Monty also have our talk-a-bout on ch 7 code 1 much of the time. Maybe we can all get together and circle the wagons!!! Dave
Old 11-30-2005, 09:26 AM   #14
udidwhat2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4825
This sounds like fun for you all.
udidwhat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:34 AM   #15
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Yes, it does, doesn't it?

Just remember , anyone who parks near Dennis and Mary Kay, or Bob and Sharon, will have a signal for internet access.

Seeing how this is our first trip to Quartzsite, I'd like to park near you, Dennis. Perhaps we could be talked in on 146.52. When are you arriving in Q?

We're talking about going to the family in Henderson for Xmas, and then back home, and back to Q, but don't know the dates of the RV show and want to be there for that.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:38 AM   #16
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Those palm trees will look really nice in the desert. Wish we could join you. Maybe next year.....
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:43 AM   #17
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Damn, you guys are gonna have too much fun. Sure wish we could join in, but alas, it's during tax season and escape is not possible.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 02:19 AM   #18
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
OK guys, what's the big attraction at Quartzite, other than free and the pleasure of each other's company. We saw a show on the travel channel the other night about Quartzite and it was interesting to say the least, especially the book store owner who wears nothing but an eye patch, and not over his eye! The show piqued our curiosity. We'll be thinking about you all - right now I'm watching it snow - Mother Nature added another 7-8" last night!!! We couldn't get out of here if we wanted to! Next year we're heading south in November!!!!!!!!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:45 AM   #19
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Sunshine,
Well you got the biggie! But don't forget the SUNSHINE. And once you get there we'll have twice as much! In addition there are vendors there selling anything you could imagine. Huge RV show. Huge gem show. Huge car show.

Hopefully we'll see you next year.

Dennis and Mary Kay
Old 12-01-2005, 06:23 AM   #20
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Thanks Dennis. It sounds like it is definitely worth a "look-see". The Montana and F250 are covered with more than a foot of snow this morning. Virgil is outside "playing" on the tractor, making little mountains all over the place.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote