Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2005, 06:58 AM   #1
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Boondocking areas

Since I am new to 5th wheeling I am interested in places people have pulled into to spend the night. I have heard about WalMart allowing campers into their lots. What is the procedure? Ask permission? How about the Interstate Rest Areas? I know alot of truckers use them. Are they safe?
Lets get this thread going for members to post experiences and help to others that are about to hit the road.

Thanks to all.

dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 07:35 AM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We have stopped at Walmarts and always ask permission from the manager. There are some that don't allow overniting because of local ordinances. We also usually purchase something, mostly something to eat. We have stopped at Flying J fuel stations, they usually have a place for RV's but it's noisey. We've had to stop at a regular truck stop also. Interstate rest stops are a little chancy in my opinion, although we have used them a couple of times when they were marked for overniting or had an attendant to ask for permission. We don't put the slides out over nite, stay hooked up [no camp setup] and leave it clean in th AM when we leave. Some towns have a free or low cost overnite facilities also, usually in the midwest. Several of them have been very nice. There is a book available that lists many of these low/no cost facilities. Our first choice for overniting is to find Federal or State facilities. Most of these have been nice places and usually have water/electric although they may be a little out of the way. We stay at commercial sites if we can fine one close, but they are usually pretty high just for 6-10 hours use. We have found some that were really nice and reasonably priced.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 08:30 AM   #3
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Years ago I was able to park overnight in Bank parking lots after closing. I made sure to pack up and leave early the next morning. I have noticed that alot of businesses have no parking after hours signs posted so you have to check with the locals to find a safe and legal spot. Truck stops are usually noisey but if you only need a few hours for rest it not too bad. Some state welcome areas allow overnighters, I've even seen dump stations at some rest areas.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:43 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We've been at this for about 15 years. Have never parked in any place other than a campground. It just isn't our style. We like all our luxuries that electricity gives us too much. I tent camped for years but now I want the good life. Thanks to Monty, we have it. We have stayed in campgrounds without unhooking and of course we don't always dump.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:18 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We stay at Walmarts or Sams periodically. Always ask permission out of courtesy. Also stay at Flying J's a lot. In fact, when we are travelling...most times.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:36 AM   #6
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Flying J's
I haven't seen any of them. Are they regional? They must be located on main interstates.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:58 AM   #7
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
http://www.flyingj.com/fuel/gasoline_CF.cfm

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:03 PM   #8
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Went west in July from Michigan to Colorado. I stayed at campgrounds all the way. If you buy in to some of the discount camping clubs and stay at those parks you will make up the fee charges in a few stops. I do not feel safe at rest areas, and Wal-Mart parking lots. I also like my water and electric,and maybe a swimming pool to cool off in .I also found that some of the rest areas do not allow over night parking. I also found some in Nebraska that did not have enough parking for all the trucks and campers to even stop and use the toilet.Drive on to the next one.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:05 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I am interested in organizations to join to get discounts. Florida (west side) in the winter is main goal, but daughter also lives in Las Vegas. Would like to try AZ and NM also. Any campsite guides you would recommend? Someone on one of these forums commented that they could stay in FL all winter almost for free (w/o visiting relatives, I assume).
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:20 AM   #10
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I've noticed that the welcome areas coming into Texas have large parking areas for trucks and campers. Also I've seen a couple in Oklahoma with campers parked overnight. Most are well-lighted.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:32 AM   #11
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
We have spent the night at several rest stops in Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas. We also like to spend the night at Walmart when it is allowed. When we drive late, a rest stop or Walmart is our choice.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:34 AM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
For any who might be traveling on US 287 through North Texas and the Panhandle, there are two rest stops with very large parking areas and with FREE WIFI internet connections. One is near Quanah, Texas and the other is further northwest near Hedley, Texas. I make this route several times a year, but these rest stops are brand new. I have stopped the last few times and gotten excellent internet connections. I have never stayed overnight--in fact only a few minutes to use rest rooms and get on the net.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 09:53 AM   #13
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Thanks for all your replies.
I have traveled the HWY 287 and found several rest stops and city camping spots for free or little fees.
After hearing and seeing all the reports from Katrina I am taking a second look at generators. Could be useful in camping or keeping power going to the frig or freezer.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:51 AM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I dont think that parking along the hwy in a parkinglot is for Georgia and I, we like the idea of full hookups and a spot ready for us when we arrive. we usually call ahead a day or two to our next destination and it repeats as we travel, using our G S or Woodalls books for referance.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:02 AM   #15
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Trailer Trash 2,
Thanks for bringing this topic back up. Dano & I will be "winging it" next Monday night going from FL to VA. We have reservations the rest of the trip except for this night. We're not sure how far we can get, how long it's going to take or how long Dano can drive before it's millertime! Does anyone know a good place on I-85 between Atlanta and SC
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:36 AM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Lisa, if you are looking for a boondocking place, nope, but there is a campground just off the xpressway near or in Walterboro SC. Not sure if that is too far a drive for ya, but we have stayed a couple of times there, a few years ago. It was ok unless you get a HUGE rain, then you might wake to lakefront property right outside your door. Not all sites were that way, just a couple, we happened to get parked near the newly formed lake! We were able to walk around it, etc, and it dried up by the time we pulled out. They have GREAT pine cones there, HUGE HUGE HUGE!! Way I remember it, they were like 12 inches or larger! They make great decorations, and can you imagine how much peanut butter you could pack in one of those babies for a bird feeder?? whoooeee!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:23 AM   #17
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Carol, don't have my atlas or TL with me today (Naturally) and customers keep interupting my MOC time!!!! I think I remember seeing Walterboro SC on the map. We are going to be on I-85 until we get to the one that takes you up to I-81 ..Know what I mean??LOL (not sure I do!) Anyway, if Walterboro is before the Hwy I can't remember right now, we'll check it out. Not sure how far we can get in one day, but would like to make it into SC or at least past Atlanta. Thanks for the info, I'll check it out tonight. Only 2 days left before we leave!!!!!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:13 AM   #18
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Lisa, Walterboro in on the wrong road then! HA HA. I should have looked at my maps before I answered! Walterboro is on 95, over near Charleston SC.

Looks like you are talking 85 to 77 to 81. Have driven those routes, but not with a RV in tow.

Oh, well, save Walterboro for another trip! HA HA

Have a fun trip!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:25 PM   #19
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Many Cracker Barrels will let you stay overnight. As usual it is a good thing to ask the manager. Be careful though as not all of their parking lots are rv friendly.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:33 AM   #20
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I parked at Cracker Barrel but not overnight. The spaces I've used were just barely long enough for TV * RV. Not wide enough to put out the slides.

Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, and Missouri have great spaces available at there welcome stations located on the interstates as you enter the states. These are usually away from the interstate and look quite good.