Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
A DISH question

I've been looking at possibly getting a DISH system, using either the Tailgater or the Ansur. First question, which is better? Tailgater is automatic, Ansur is only semi auto, and Tailgater seems to be cheaper. Also, in hooking up can I run the coax into the cable hook up in the convenience center or do I need a separate cable? After coming into the trailer, where do I locate the box? Currently my cable runs into the sound system/DVD player/radio box and then into the TV. Would I position the satellite receiver before the sound box? Ir does it have to go straight to the TV, leaving me without surround sound?

washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We have the Tailgater and it works great. Just connect it, turn on power to the sat box and TV, select your current location, and wait 10 minutes or so and it will automatically find the satellites. On occasion I do have to recycle power if it does not find them the first time.
As far as the connections, the coax has to go direct from the Tailgater to the Dish VIP211k satellite receiver box. (it must be a 211 receiver). It can go thru the trailer wiring as long as it goes straight to the box and not thru some intermediate device.
On my trailer I only had one external coax connector and had a dual coax plate below the TV with a jumper coax between the two connectors on the dual plate. One of the connectors came from the external coax connector. By removing the jumper and connecting another coax cable from that plate to the sat box it connected the Tailgater directly to the sat box and it worked fine. However the jumper was needed if I wanted to connect to park cable. So to simplify things I added a second external coax specifically for the sat connection to the sat box and leave the jumper in place in case I want park cable. I ran an HDMI cable from the sat box to the TV for HD TV. And I ran an audio cable from the TV audio out to the sound system audio in.
If you have a single external coax connector (in the convenience center) then yours is probably wired the same way. If you have two external coax connectors then I would assume one is already set up for satellite.
As far as location of the sat box, mine was pretty easy. There is a cabinet below my TV where I could locate mine. Fortunately the same cabinet where the dual coax plate is located. I did add an upper shelf to set the sat box on. Don't know how your cabinetry is designed, but ideally you would locate the sat box near the TV both for connections and for remote control.
Since the Tailgater is a single receiver you cannot get two separate channels on the two TVs. But you can get the same channel on the second TV as on the first. In my case the second coax on the dual coax plate went to the antenna switch/amp plate in the bedroom. By connecting the coax output from the sat box to the second coax on the dual coax plate it sent the Dish signal to the bedroom TV so we could at least watch TV there also. We typically turn off the living room TV about 10 pm and retire to the bedroom to watch the 10 o'clock news and weather.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
The 211 receiver is not a DVR but you can add a hard drive to it.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Yes, I have two 211's and use a trigabite hard drive with each one.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If your sound system/DVD player has HDMI input connections and HDMI output connection you can run the HDMI cable from the sat box to the sound system and another HDMI cable from the sound system to the TV to get your true surround sound. My sound system/DVD player does not the necessary HDMI input. The audio cable from the TV audio output to the sound system audio input gives pretty good sound though.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Thanks for all the responses, I might be able to work it out now! I will have to look at the rig again to see if there is an HDMI fitting. Not sure. As far as the bedroom TV, we have only had it on once in 5 years, so it is not a priority. We just never got into watching TV in bed. Thanks again for all the info!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote