Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
WiFiRanger Review: 3G/4G Router + WiFi Repeater

You can read my entire review at: http://j.mp/wifiranger

THE BOTTOM LINE
The WiFiRanger has one feature that no (current) mobile broadband router does: WiFi as an internet source.

Beyond that hardware feature, I'm pleasantly surprised by the company's commitment to the RV community and will be recommending it to most every RVer that asks my opinion about mobile broadband routers. Its certainly not for everyone -- and it doesn't seem like it was meant to be. The people behind the WiFiRanger have targeted the RV community and other roadwarriors as the main audience for their new toy, and they seem pretty determined to refine the product to meet the needs of that target audience.

As with any first version of new technology, I am sure that there will be some growing pains along the way, but at this point I am quite confident in the abilities of the manufacturer to pull off what they have set out to accomplish. Early adopters of the WiFiRanger are bound to have ideas on how they would like to improve the product, and I am hopeful that there will be some uservoice-like website put up to allow the customers to help piroritize future enhancements.

We have an opportunity to help shape a product's success and I'm curious what people really want to see in their future mobile broadband router?

Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:45 AM   #2
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
I think that working with a tethered cell phone is the feature that I would be looking for. I plan to use the Droid, using PDANet. Thanks for your post and article and let us know when a tethered feature is offered.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:25 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks Alex. I will give the Ranger a few weeks to get the bugs out and then will place my order.. Keep up the good work.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:47 AM   #4
RonT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9360
I agree with the tethering comments. I tethered before but just started tethering with a smartphone using PDAnet. A router with tethering would be something I would be very interested in.
RonT is offline   Reply With Quote