Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
VaughnMB
Established Member

M.O.C. #9983
Update on Yellowstone in the Winter

We arrived at the Grand Teton Park RV Resort on February 12th. Very cold, lots of snow and absolutely beautiful! We spent 8 days there with temps in the mid-20's during the day and -2 at night on at least four of those nights. Unfortunately, my fresh water tank froze from day 2, my pump would freeze up over night and thaw out during the day. My refrig quit working on day 4 which caused us to lose all of the food. I even tried to switch from AC to propane, but no luck. I even had my heater fail for an hour or so. I thought I may have run out of propane, but I still had plenty in both tanks.
After feeling a bit frustrated I called the Keystone Customer Service Department listed in my owners manual (2010 Montana 3150RL). After describing my issues to the Service Tech I was told that the problem with my propane and freezing problems were due to the extreme temps. I was also told that Keystone does not recommend using the coach in temperatures below freezing! When I explained that all their literature and sales people really highlight the fact that Montana's are built for cold weather camping, I was again told that I should not use my coach in below freezing temperatures and she apologized for any misunderstandings that I may have had.
I know several of you have lived in some extreme conditions from what I have read on these forums.
Well, there it is. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly!
All in all we had a fantastic time and we will make some modifications before venturing into the extreme temps again.

VaughnMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
-2 deg Burrrrrrrrrrrrr. We were in Carlsbad New Mexico last month and it was 21 deg. thats as cold a weather as we want to be in. I guess I will have to install that auxillery power circuit that will be for heaters only, and run on the 30 amp plug on the service tower. I have been procrastinating on the job. but after reading your post puts it on the front burner now.
I also find it interresting that Keystone gave you temperature numbers that they dont recomend our Monty's in. I dont know what the brosure states for the artic, or the sub zero package but the way the sails person try and sell you on that single item would get me to buy one. But I dont understand why the frig wouldn't work on electric power, even if the propane was frozen, which I doubt realy happened to the propane, I know if you use propane too much and too fast it will freeze in side the tank but your talking a wide open valve on the tank and with this new valve thats required that valve will close if there is a brakage in the hose, try and open that valve real quick without anything on it it will shut off the propane and keep it off untill you close the valve and reopen it slowly.
I would ask a propane shop about that freezing thing and get the streight scoop from the people that realy know the product.
I would have the dealer check out your 2010 before the 1 year warintee runs out.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
VaughnMB
Established Member

M.O.C. #9983
Trailer Trash 2,

The saga continues. We moved from Wyoming to Portland, OR two days ago. Turns out my heater went on the blink again and the refrig quit again. I took my coach into a Montana dealer for assessment. Turns out both propane regulators were defective and the pigtail hoses from the tanks to the regulators were bad. Everything was replaced and appears to be working properly for now! The service manager said the-2 temps had nothing to do with the propane not flowing. Don't put a lot of faith in what the Keystone Customer Service people tell you.
I did talk with a salesman at the dealership about camping in extreme temps. Turns out he was in the same place we were, and at the same time. So he was familiar with my questions. He told me that he would not recommend camping for an extended period of time if the low temps were around 20 degrees and it did not warm up above 32 in the daytime. When I asked about the Arctic Package and freezing of tanks he said, "yea in those temps you would need to make some modifications and skirt the vehicle in order to prevent freezing. So, you probably do need to move your projects to the top of the list if you are going to head for cold weather. I know I learned a lot and will make some modifications before I camp in those conditions again.
If I can be of any further help, let me know.

Mitch
Old 02-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Mitch,

Where did you take your rig in Portland? The Montana dealer (Gresham RV) went out of business last year so the only dealer I knew of was in Salem.

Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
VaughnMB
Established Member

M.O.C. #9983
Hi Bob,

I took it to Curtis Trailers located at 10177 SE Powell Blvd. Their phone number is 503-760-1363. I was very happy with their service and the people that I dealt with.

Good luck,

Mitch