Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2008, 05:30 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Picture Size

Concerning this thread which has been locked!...http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=10654I have a question.

If a photo is being seen on the MOC forum and being linked to while it's located on a completely different web site, how can the size of the photo slow down the MOC forum?

I can understand how the individual photo would take longer to open itself based on the size of the photo. We have been asked to restrict the size of the photos in order to not slow down the forum but again how can it slow down the forum other than the photo itself?

Old 06-12-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
RAMBIGSKY
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2835
I hope this is the "easy" answer. If the picture opens up on the forum page (you use [img] code) it has to meet the "not more than 60Kb" size. Since it actually shows on the forum the picture takes down load time associated with the forum. Those on a slow connection suffer.
If the picture opens in a separate browser (you use [url]) then it can be any size you want because it is not using forum bandwidth.

If this does not answer your question please ask again and it will be responded too.
Thanks for being a member and for your support to MOC.

edit - The picture that opens on the forum does so automatically therefore all users are effected by its size. If the picture is in a separate browser then a member has the option to open or not. If it is too large they can cancel the other browser without signing off from the MOC Forum.

RAMBIGSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
A Rose is a Rose is a Rose
Rephraze that...
A Picture is a Picture is a Picture and it takes time to load no matter where that picture is hosted and in the loading process will slow down the forum.
As RAMBIGSKY stated that only applies to pictures using the[IMG] tag.

I would like to add that size is also reflected in not only the number of bytes of information (60Kb) but in the number of pixels in height and width (dimensions).
There are still some older 'puters out there that only have a screen resolution of 640 X 400. The Average computer today is 800 X 600 and many of the newer 'puters may go to 1280 X 1024 or higher.
Even with mine set at 1280, I have noticed, in many a thread, that I have to scroll not just up and down but also from left to right. Up and down is the nature of the beast, Left to right is not necessary and can be rectified. More often than not this left/right scrolling is caused by an oversized photo or numerous photos on the same line. 2, 3 or more photos/graphics on the same line totalling over the viewers screen resolutions will also cause left/right scrolling.
If you right click on any photo/graphic a window will open. Select "Properties". Another window opens.
Take a look at Size which is shown in Bytes
And Dimensions shown in Pixels

Dimensions: is the number I am referring to.
Conside this....
If I am using a Screen Resolution of 800 X 600 and some one posts a photo of 2000 X 600 guess what happens. I must scroll left/right to view the entire photo.
Now if someone posts a photo of 800 X 600 (my screen resolutions) do I still have to scroll left/right. If you said YES you are 100% correct. Consider all that we are viewing on the MOC Forum. It's not just the photo but all the stuff in the Margins to the left and right. The Blue margin, the Column with the Authors name and avatar. All this adds to the viewing area (screen resolutions).

What's the best Dimension for a photo?
I try to load photos that are under 600 pixels wide and 500 wide is even better especially so for those still using 640 X 400.

IF you have a photo you want to reduce (both bytes &/or pixels) but don't have the ways and means simply email it to me and I will adjust it for you.

If we are still not clear, do not hesitate asking for a clarification.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:19 AM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Excellent reply Glenn...

I like to use Irfanview to resize pics. It is a very simple program to use with great results. Then host them on one of the many free hosting sites like photobucket and link to those pics.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote