Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2017, 06:51 PM   #21
David T. MacNeill
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19930
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
We fulltime but we do it as Camphosts. No nightly fees...water/sewer/and electric free.
Not to hijack the thread, but where can I find out more about camp hosting? Is there some organization or forum where hosts congregate and find hosting gigs? Of do you just call KOA headquarters and tell them you want to host?

David T. MacNeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:50 AM   #22
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
David, look here. https://www.workamper.com/

We work camped for several years, however, if you go this route, make sure you interview the campground owners and ask for references from them, get names and numbers of previous years workers.

Some campgrounds have a complete change of help every season while others have the same folks coming back year after year.

Ask if they issue a 1099 for the campground site, do they have workman comp in case you get hurt on the job. We know of campgrounds that issue a 1099 for the site value on a nightly rate, you end up paying taxes on money you never got. The campground gets to write off the value of the site.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #23
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
Originally Posted by stengels View Post
We are now 4 years into the FT experience and we love it still. We do stay 2-3 months out of the year at our son's house, where he set us up a 50 amp box and we pay him a little for electricity. We really like some of the COE parks, and now that we have the Senior Pass, our nightly charge is generally around $10, which includes electricity. We also normally stay a minimum of a month somewhere, so we get the monthly rate which is drastically less than the nightly or weekly rates. And we have never been anywhere in 4 years where we didn't have more than enough things we wanted to do (Carrabelle & Navarre, FL, Elbert, AL, Bay St. Louis, MS, Livingston, LA, Spring, Austin, Kerrville, TX, Camp Verde, AZ, Missoula, MT, Brunswick, GA, Myrtle Beach, SC, North Carolina, etc). This country has so many places to go, so we anticipate doing this for quite a while longer.
For six years we fulltimed and loved every minute of it. We did not do it to live cheaper, but rather for the lifestyle. Stayed at nice parks, did all the tourist stuff, ate out quite a bit, met wonderful folks,etc. We did better financially than when we were in our house. When we sold the house, many small expenses above and beyond what has been discussed became apparent, ie we changed our legal residence from VA to SD, (no more state/personal property Taxes), $100 a month water bills, fertilizers, one vehicle instead of two, hidden house maintenance costs you forget about, we were in a waterfront community with a $1200 a year HOA fee and on and on. When we became grandparents, we came off the road, bought a Lake House in NC, and now spend the summers at the lake and the winters in Florida where we have a long term site lease with long time friends and neighbors there as well as at the house. We enjoy the way we RV now, but the wife and I often talk about how we miss the fulltime lifestyle and the freedom that comes with it.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #24
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
I think a lot depends on you definition of full timing. If you live 6 months in one place in the rig and then move it south for the other 6 months, then I’m sure it’s cheaper. If you have a mortgage then that would factor in to your costs.

My idea of full timing would be to move often and see lots.

We have a regular house with no mortgage where we can park our rig in the driveway. If one of us has a health issue then we have a place to come home to. The place does not cost us much as we have acreage that we rent to a farmer. So for us it would make no sense to FT. If you are house poor then it might be a good option.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
I think a lot depends on you definition of full timing. If you live 6 months in one place in the rig and then move it south for the other 6 months, then I’m sure it’s cheaper. If you have a mortgage then that would factor in to your costs.

My idea of full timing would be to move often and see lots.

We have a regular house with no mortgage where we can park our rig in the driveway. If one of us has a health issue then we have a place to come home to. The place does not cost us much as we have acreage that we rent to a farmer. So for us it would make no sense to FT. If you are house poor then it might be a good option.
We are much like you. We have a house in Ohio no Mortgage. We have a lot in Florida and stay there 6 months of the year.The $$ we do not pay in Ohio Utilities for the 6 months we are not there in winters that can be brutal. Water, sewer, trash pickup, electric, gas off sets much of the cost of our winter stay. We have full hookup on our Ohio property for our Montana when there. We both worked seasonal at WDW a few days a week till this season .That income although small paid for the rest of our winter stay and added to our travel fund for the year. We do have the S&B here when we can no longer RV. For us the decision not to go full time was a good one for us. We have never crunched the numbers to determine which lifestyle is less expensive but it would be very close in our case.

I stopped working at WDW 2 seasons ago and Helen will not return this season . We each made about 4K per season Gross at WDW. The loss of my 4K did not affect our lifestyle nor will the loss of Helens income. We have built up enough travel savings for awhile. In effect the decreased utility $$ we did not spend in Ohio and the WDW income we both earned nearly paid for our winter stay and our year travel. What ever your RV lifestyle it is right for you and you can make it work
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #26
331MONTHC
Established Member

M.O.C. #22819
I will add a post here as to our future plans to full time. We recently bought an RV lot in Florida that is paid for, has a small HOA fee, Low tax and electric. We plan to stay the winter in this lot and travel 6-8 months. In the mean time we plan to rent out the lot. Should be cheap living LOL
331MONTHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #27
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I will chime in here, we are not full timers but close about 9 months a year. We own a Tax Practice in Ca so I am there from the first week in January to about the third week of April. The best thing about this business is I can keep doing it till I get really old. Like maybe next year LOL. Then I bring the rig home to Lake Havasu City for about two weeks. As it gets hot ( I mean really hot) here we leave for cooler places we rent a spot 75 or so miles from here in the mountains. It’s about 25 to 30 degrees cooler there and it is close enough for us to come home every 2 weeks or so to do laundry and appointments. We stay there from May till about late September with several trips mixed in. Like this year 3 weeks to Canada.

The Havasu home is payed for so when the time comes when we can no longer travel with the rig we are set and safe.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #28
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
Quote:
Originally Posted by David T. MacNeill View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but where can I find out more about camp hosting? Is there some organization or forum where hosts congregate and find hosting gigs? Of do you just call KOA headquarters and tell them you want to host?

I know almost all state parks have a website for volunteering. And most have where and when camphosting is available.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:02 PM   #29
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
Quote:
Originally Posted by David T. MacNeill View Post

Also.....seeing you are in Idaho.....thee website has all their hosting openings listed
Old 03-02-2019, 04:38 PM   #30
Steve W
Established Member

M.O.C. #22958
You don't get close enough with anyone for them to "borrow" money from you.
There it is!
Dog, 2015 Black Lab
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote