Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Air Bags for RAM 3500

Who is running airbags on their RAM 3500? What brand/model did you go with? What was the cost? How hard was the install if you did it yourself and if not how much was the install? Most important, how well did they perform and were they worth the investment?

mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #2
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
I originally wanted the self-levelling system as an option but the great deal on my RAM 3500 was too good to pass up and it wasn't so equipped. In the Cummins forum though there was much discussion on the fact that the automated nature of the factory system was a drawback because there's no manual options. Those critical of the factory option were very much in favor of aftermarket, which really eased my concerns that I was missing out on something I wanted.

I had Air Lift airbags in my Damon Outlaw class A (the origin of my OutlawPilot handle, BTW) and really liked them, and LOVED the level of service from Air Lift so that's where I went for my RAM.

I just purchased the Air Lift 88295 LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Air Spring Kit with Internal Jounce Bumper. I originally considered the Ultimate+ version with stainless steel air lines but found a great deal and jumped. Plus I'm adding the compressor which comes with rubber lines anyway.

The install for this should take 2 hours. I will NOT be doing it as I'm just not as mechanical as I think that would need. A truck shop already balked at the time estimate saying "oh, they always say it'll take little time." So THEY'RE out (Action Truck Accessories in Hamilton).

The Aviators TV Website | Facebook Page | YouTube Channel
Streaming Episodes (iTunes, Google Play, Amazon)
OutlawPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:55 AM   #3
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Oh, and the compressor kit is the AIR LIFT 72000 Wireless Air Leveling Compressor. Action Truck poo-pooed at that being my choice, but it's the system I had in the Outlaw. I know it. I trust it.

The added benefit with THIS system is that there's a certain automated feature that is similar to the OEM but better because it's user set.

You use the remote to set your pressure and the system simply maintains that pressure. Lose some air from a bag? The system tops you up to your preset pressure. I've found it really is a set it and forget it kind of deal.

Looking forward to getting that installed. This compressor system is apparently a 1 hour install for a total of 3. Now to find a place that will do it reasonably.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I had Firestones on my Ram 2500 and they were OK but I prefer the Air Lifts with on-board air that I have on the F350. More robust! I installed myself and wasn't too bad.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:08 AM   #5
racquetballfreq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10395
Send a message via AIM to racquetballfreq
I installed the AirLift Ultimate 5000 with the on-board compressor. Directions were straight forward, (also watched YouTube video that I found online). The install was easy and, as a bonus, I asked them for the $100 rebate that they were offering to “professionally” installed systems and they agreed. I ended up paying around $500 and is worth every penny.
racquetballfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:14 AM   #6
trustymopars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10812
I installed the Air Lifts on mine and they work great. Not a bad install, about 2 hours. I didn't get a compressor, just got a "T" to connect both sides. 25 psi makes the ride much smoother going down the road. I just let them down after we un-hitch, and air them back up when I'm checking tire pressure before moving on.JT
trustymopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:40 AM   #7
OutlawPilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20672
Quote:
Originally Posted by racquetballfreq View Post
I installed the AirLift Ultimate 5000 with the on-board compressor. Directions were straight forward, (also watched YouTube video that I found online). The install was easy and, as a bonus, I asked them for the $100 rebate that they were offering to “professionally” installed systems and they agreed. I ended up paying around $500 and is worth every penny.
Did you have access to a hoist for your installation or did you manage to get it done somehow on the ground?

Old 11-28-2017, 09:08 AM   #8
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
I like the Airlift System, used it on a Toyota Tacoma. It might be interesting if it could be tied to Air connection on pin box ... might require a few more parts
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #9
trustymopars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10812
I installed mine on the ground. As high as these trucks sit, it was pretty easy to use a creeper. JT
trustymopars is offline   Reply With Quote