Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2014, 06:11 AM   #21
packwood2
Established Member

M.O.C. #10343
Send a message via MSN to packwood2
We have had this same problem with our Verizon Plan. We had a 4GB plan and now we are at 12GB for this month. We found Facebook was playing videos so we changed our settings in facebook as not to automatically play. We have one more week on this billing cycle and will find out if this is the problem.

packwood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:48 AM   #22
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
We have taken all the suggestions about reducing GB usage and applied them. We are operating with a new MiFi jetpack and always keep it turned off when not in use. Our usage has gone down some but it looks like we will still use between 10GB and 12GB per month. I still think that is excessive for as little time as we use the internet. We never download music, videos, or movies. We haven't changed our internet habits in the last year and we used to get by on 6GB per month. Just wish there was another way to get internet as full timers and dump Verizon.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #23
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
AT&T, Millenicom, Sprint, and T-Mobile all offer Internet capability. You are not limited to Verizon. But I suspect your GB usage is unrelated to your internet supplier and will be about the same if you switch. You really need to find what is using all the bandwidth.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #24
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
When we switched from the 3g to 4g Mi fi our usage went 5 gig to 7-8 gig. It seems since 4g is faster and some pages will detect the 4g and load in higher def. I have even done things like turning of signatures on the Forum to reduce usage but doesnt seem to change much. According to the verizon usage graph say we view a large amount of Videos yet we do not View any in an effort to reduce usage, I haven't figured out if Something on some websites loads even though we do not view them. No as I am writing this DW is showing Grandkids a video hmm maybe her being a little tech. challenged is an issue too??
DAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We Have been using the Verizon 4G jetpack for about 1 1/2 years. When in Florida it is all we use. we are on the 12 GB plan and have not gone over yet. We have two Lap tops, two Smart phones and two tablets. Here at the S&B we have a DSL line and that is our primary when at home. Helen is on Pandora radio hours during the day and other than that we use the jet pack when on campouts or on the road. We are 23 days into our 30 day billing period and have used 3.3 GB which is about normal when at home. We use the jet pack for everything in Florida and eat up a lot of Data. Our Monthly bill for the two smart phones and the jet pack is 220.00 per month .Expensive but we need the communication.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:22 AM   #26
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Richfaa, we are almost the same with Verizon. We have 2 laptops, 2 I-phones, 1 pad, and an extra phone on a 10GB plan for $229.00 a month. Now we will probably have to switch and add another 2GB of data. You are correct, it is pricey, but when you travel there is a very good chance with the Verizon network that you will always have service so we are staying with them. Someone just told me yesterday that my new laptop is probably eating up more data since it is running Windows-8.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:21 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are correct Joe it is pricey but folks like us depend on the service and we have found that if in a area where we can not get Verizon service no one can
get service. On our jet pack you can go through the menu and see how many devices are connected. I am showing one right now and that is correct. We do turn off the lap top at night but Helen is on the nook a lot. We have no auto downloads. we find that we can get 4G is most areas and there is a big difference in downloading 3G vs 4G. We are running windows 8 on two laptops now and see no real difference in data usage. Streaming video eats up the data and I like to keep up on the news and Helen is on a lot of craft sites downloading stuff. were willing to pay extra if need be for reliability.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:18 AM   #28
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Don't forget when using PC's and laptops you have your OS, Java, Flash Player and antivirus updates as well as a few others that can quickly eat up data.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote