Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2014, 01:22 AM   #1
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Good Thoughts, Please

We are forecast to get 8 up to 12+ inches of heavy snow starting tonight through Friday morning here in NJ.

Any good thoughts, vibes, prayers, whatever would be appreciated.

We're hoping our roof and slides can take the weight. Can't bring the slides in at this point because they are covered in ice. There's a relatively thin layer of ice on the roof. DH is in no condition (since his tumble on the ice) to get up on the roof and clear it during the storm, nor would it be safe for him to do so even if he were 100%. We supposed to be getting wind gusts up to 30 MPH with this, too.

I'm doing up our laundry today and will be putting together a "go" bag and other items for us (and Maggie) to make it a few days and start over. Needless to say, I'm hoping the roof will hold and my prep will be just an exercise (again) in preparedness.

We'll get up in the early, early hours of the morning tomorrow just to see how much has fallen and to start shoveling to stay on top of accumulation on the ground . . . clearing our paths to the office from the rig and access points to the rig (propane doors, basement, etc.)

We've talked to the security company owner and have put in a request to be transferred to someplace a bit more temperate before next Winter. We've been here 3 years next week and have endured 2 hurricanes (evacuated the rig), Sandy (evacuated us and left the rig), a handful of Nor'easters and too-many-to-count misc. power and water outages.

We love everything about our job and the beauty of the environment, but enough is enough. We've endured a lot and are to the point of needing/wanting something a bit less traumatic in physical endurance for survival. Our boss totally agrees, says we have been the best team here and is working hard to find us something in a bit more temperate climate. Of course, the other major issue is what these conditions are doing to our beloved Montana home.

If our Monty holds up through this, I'll give him a big hug (like I did after Sandy). If not, we'll figure out what to do next. While we're driving South.

Thanks, and my thoughts to you all who are enduring lousy weather in this extreme Winter.

Stay safe ya'll,
Betty

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:31 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I don't think the roof will be an issue. We have had more than two feet of wet snow on our rigs in the past (stored at mini-storage) and have never experienced any damage. Since it appears you do not have slide toppers, that is where I would focus your attention for snow buildup, simply because when it starts to melt, you may possibly experience seal leakage. I would think a leaf-blower if you have one can be used from a ladder to help to minimize the buildup. Worse case, use a broom or a long handled squeegee to push as much snow off the slides as you can. The slide tops will hold a couple of "Amish Craftsmen" based on factory tour reports, and it would take a bunch of snow to equal that.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:33 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I fully believe your Monte will do well. Keep the faith and smile.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:50 AM   #4
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Actually, Bingo, we do have slide toppers. That's a good thing!
TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:00 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TxYellowRose

Even if the slide toppers have ice buildup, all you have to do is slowly retract the slides ( a couple of inches at a time) and the ice will roll off the roller at the edge of the slide topper. We have had to do this often on our Spring camping trips. The same approach can be used to get the snow off. I do feel the roof snow is a non-issue.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:43 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
All the same, our prayers are for you and all those experiencing these winter storms.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I agree with Bingo on this one.
Additionally, if you pull in the slides as Bingo suggests and it doesn't work, you may consider throwing a nylon rope over your toppers if they look overloaded and do a see saw motion to move the snow off. You can do this from the ground so NO climbing ladders.
Best of luck to you!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TxYellowRose

Even if the slide toppers have ice buildup, all you have to do is slowly retract the slides ( a couple of inches at a time) and the ice will roll off the roller at the edge of the slide topper. We have had to do this often on our Spring camping trips. The same approach can be used to get the snow off. I do feel the roof snow is a non-issue.
Bingo
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #8
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Great ideas! Hope you faired well!
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I pulled the slides in once to hear a large crash. Didn’t know what was wrong then realized that a buildup of ice had formed on the toppers and had fallen to the ground and busted. I wasn’t used to camping in that cold of a season.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:39 AM   #10
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
When we left NC to come to Fla we had to get about 6 ins of snow off toppers. We used Bingo's method.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote