Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Freedom!!

I know I got some input about traveling with my cats before, but I want some opinions. Miss Hope and Miss Kitty are currently riding in a large dog crate with a small litter box and small water bowl inside the Monty. I am sure they are just barely tolerating each other, but at least I know they are safe. Some of you let your cats ride loose. I would like to do that but am afraid they will get hurt. It is just so difficult to get them both in the crate and then there is my guilt factor. Opinions please.

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
If you let them ride loose please be sure to round them up before moving the slides. Someone lost a kitty this way. Bummer.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Joanie, What we have done is remove the back seat in the TV and installed an Ultra Lite Cage. It is set-up on a frame made from an old steel bed frame and provide storage under the cage, two carriers next to the cage behind the driver seat. We've put in a shelf to make an upper and lower level, has a hole to allow access to the upper of lower level. If the cats don't get along in a confined space the piece that was cut to make the hole can be placed back in to make two individual areas. The cage is strapped down so it not going anywhere. We don't like the idea of our babies being loose because you never know what might happen. There has been an add in the local Penny Saver for over a year looking for a missing kitty that was riding loose in a car and the owner had and accident and the cat got loose never to be seen again.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Thanks for the advice. It has given me comfort to know that the kitties are confined in the crate while riding in the Monty. I just hate how they react when we put them in it. Lots of complaining on their party and some whining. They settle down quickly and I know they are safe when it is time to open the slides. I don't let them out until that is accomplished. I just wondered if they would be more comfortable sleeping in their usual places - like on the sofa or bed. However, the thought of them being thrown around when we hit a rough patch worries me. I think we will continue putting them in the crate and have peace of mind about it. We can't put them in the truck with us because we have a beagle that takes up the back seat. Thanks for helping me to keep with my current plan.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:26 AM   #5
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
we kept our Lucky locked in the bedroom area and the litter pan in the bathroom. He could get to the box but never used it. After 3 different times he peed on our bedspread. We were always careful to hold him when extending and retracting slides. But we would have a time getting him as he would hide by between bed and clostger. We thought maybe a urinary tract infection as he never did that before traveling. Vet took xrays and examined. She asked if something had changed? Yes, we travel now.

We had taken him on short trips around town to get him used to the truck, etc. After considering everything, we decided to have him travel in the truck with us. We put his cat carrier on the back floor with door open. Also the litter pan. He now mostly sleeps in the carrier but does come out to use litter pan. We also keep a dish of food he will nibble on and a bottle of water handy to pour some into another dish. He's been on some long trips lately and likes it just fine. Of course we now need a new bedspread.
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #6
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
We had the trip from hell yesterday. We left Virginia to travel to the CT/MA stateline. We were going to stop overnight at a Flying J in PA but got there at 2pm and thought it was too early to settle in for the night. Long story short we decided to keep going and it turned into a 12 hour marathon to our final destination. We kept the girls in the crate the whole time with a litter box and water plus their bed. We checked on them often and they were fine. It was a grueling trip but I had peace of mind with them secure in the crate. We will be here for 6 weeks so they will have a great repsite from the crate. Funny thing is they are getting better and better about going in it when we break camp.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Joanie, Our 12 year old, 18 lb tabby, has ridden in the trailer since we left Alaska in '07. He usually crawls under the covers in the bedroom and zonks. He has adapted well to this form of travelling and when we open the door he is usually there to greet us. He has always been an indoor cat so he doesn't try to bolt out the door when we open it. He does lol away the hours outside in the Kittywalk cage and loves it. Sometimes he stays out there until we go to bed around 10pm. DW does make sure she sees him when she opens the slides and he has never been injured. We have the covered box that stays in the corner of the BR and leave him water in the dogs bowl for drinking.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
For now I think we will continue with the crate. A side benefit is that the kitties are getting along so much better when out of the crate. We set up the kitty walk today and they don't know what to think about it. We will use it daily as long as the weather holds. They are adjusting so much better to RV living. They are both rescue cats and we estimate them to be 10 and 11. We have had them both since they were young and they have been inside cats who venture out onto our screened lanai.