Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived - Forum Information and Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Sharing an E-mail Address

My DW has been pressing me to get her own screen name on the MOC. So yesterday I set her up with her own id. In the process, the system wanted an e-mail address. I gave it our personal e-mail address which we share the use of (just like our checkbook). Not acceptable! That address is already in use (correct - it is the e-mail address associated with this id) according to the forum software and can not be used. I wound up supplying an old work related e-mail address just to get past the registration exercise.

After the new screen name was confirmed and working, I asked one of the administrators if they would change the e-mail address associated with the DW's screen name to the same one we use for all of our family e-mail. HOTR (thanks for the help) reported that the forum software rejects the change because "it is already in use by another member".

I know I can get more e-mail addresses from any number of sources. But we have one e-mail address that we both use already. We are not really interested in checking some other e-mail address for the infrequent e-mail from MOC members. Nor am I particularly happy having the MOC send mail to my work address even if it is an old address (it should be going away at some point).

It is not obvious to me why the e-mail address associated with a screen name has to be unique across the conference. Is this a "feature" or a changeable setting in the forum software? Screen names and the member's real names should be unique identifying attributes, but not an e-mail address

Is it possible change the forum software to allow multiple screen names to use the same e-mail address?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Carl,
Does it have to be a valid email address?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

Carl,
Does it have to be a valid email address?
When you register it does as the confirmation notice goes there (and you have to use it to finish registration). Once you up and running you should be able to substitute anything (that isn't a duplicate). But you will never see any e-mails that another MOCer might send you.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Not a very good arrangement is it?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have done a little programing and feel the code to satisfy this request is extensive. I can understand the requirement for individual email addresses being a lot easier coding. For the cost we pay to use this forum (free) I can live with the individual email address. I understand the frustration but this is the first time I have seen it voiced as a problem. It is good it is voiced but I think the majority have worked with it or around it.
There are a lot of security issues worked behind the code we do not know about. As we know Forumco has worked hard at improving the search and speed of the forum recently as well as tighten up security.
Not trying to be judgmental but stating my opinion.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have been an active member of the MOC since July of 2003 and in all that time this is the first time anyone has brought this up. I personally do not see Forumco making any extensive program changes for a situation that arises once in 5 years.

It is a very simple matter to set up a 2nd Email addy. For instance I have a secondary email addy at gmail.com. gmail is Google and you can get a free gmail addy by simply going to the Google home page and clicking on Gmail. Fill out the registration and you are done.
Once you have registered on the MOC you will get a Confirmation email at the gmail.com address. Complete the registration process through that email and do one of 2 things..
1- Forget that email addy even exists. By doing this you will never receive any emails from any MOC member.
2- Once a week or whatever you can take a minute or so and check the gmail addy and either delete whatever emails are there or maybe reply to them.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Carl, Understand your dilemna, Cathy and I both have our own MOC screen names and have seperate E-mail accounts. I would rather not receive mail from her friends and associates, or her spam on my account, so it works fine for us.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You can get a free e-mail address from Google (gmail.com) and/or Yahoo. I don't really see this as a problem for the forum.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Here is one way you could work it, set up both e-mail addresses so that it will arrive in the same folder. You can create a rule which will allow you to designate that an e-mail from a certain account or address when it arrives, will go into a specific folder if desired. When you send an e-mail from your computer it should automatically use the default address. I hope this isn’t too confusing, just thought I’d share another idea!
Old 06-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Carl,

You could also setup a gmail account and have it send it to your other email address. This is a real simple setting in gmail.

In Gmail,
Create a Filter
/Fill out the 'From' field
/Next Step
/check to forward to email address (insert email address)
/create filter
Voila

Need a gmail account invitation? I would be happy to share one of my 93 available invitations.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:03 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have several email addresses. Some of them I have forwarded to my "good" home email. If at any time I start getting SPAM, I create another account in my master account at YAHOO and forward it. Then I suspend the other one and eventually delete it.

I never have to check those accounts unless I want to change the forwarding option.

Works for me.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Thanks Robbie! You (and Waynem) seem to be the only ones who read my posting and provided a solution that meets our desires. I was unaware that GMAIL would let you "relay" to another e-mail address. As a result, any MOC e-mail will be delivered to our shared e-mail address in a timely manner. I don't mind having multiple e-mail addresses, I just don't want to have to check them all the time.

I take it the "relay" is based on the From: address? This works fine as the MOC uses a standard From: address AFAIK.

While I think I have a GMAIL invite around here somewhere, another one would avoid having to search for it. How about we finish this up offline (from the MOC) using e-mail?

Old 06-29-2008, 03:20 AM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Done. Check your email.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote