Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2005, 01:20 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Opinions - towing US 40 through Colorado

I'm still thinking routes for our trip this summer to Glacier NP. We've done I70 across Colorado and I like to take a different route each time we pass through an area. See more things that way, ya know. We could take I80 across Wyoming but we prefer to get off the superhighways and see the real America when we can.

I don't mind towing two-lane roads, so that part doesn't bother me. US 40 seems to be a potential major route for traffic to some of the resort areas.

So how is the traffic on that road in July? How is the road surface itself? What about the mountain grades? Vail Pass on I70 was not a problem but I'm not sure I'd want to get into 12% grades for any long distance. I hear US 6 can be a bear about that. So how about US 40?

Anyone do that route? Opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 02:32 PM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Steve-
I have book that I bought several years back called "MOUNTAIN DIRECTORY for Truckers, RV, and Motorhome Drivers". It has descriptions of 250 mountain passes in the Western US. I can scan the pages of info on US40 in Colorado and send them to you. Looks like Rabbit Ears has 6 and 7% grades with a runaway ramp. If you are thinking about US 40 off I-70 there is one called Berthoud Pass, it shows about 6 miles of 6% with hair pin turns of speeds at 20-25MPH. Would be glad to send you the pages.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we have been to winter Park over Berthoud pass many times, but never with the 5er. they have just rebuilt the pass so the curves are very wide and nice, some three lane road. we have seen rv's on that road. Before the rebuild it was narrower and ther curves were tighter. They had to make it a better road because so many people go up to Winter Park for skiing from Denver. A road that is nearly flat from I-70 to 40 is the one that goes north from Dillon, Hiway 9. and it is a real nice road. was on it last summer in fact and there was some road construction but it is probably done by now. There is a big reservoir on that road so there is some boat and RV traffic. we have also been west from Granby on 40 and we would not hesitate going on that road with a 5er. Nice scenery and never much traffic.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 04:21 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Charlie, thanks, I would like to see that. I see your email is not available on MOC so if you'll click the envelope icon to email me, then I'll send you my email address. I don't like to put it on public forums because the spam bots pick up your email address that way. Thanks, Charlie.

Paul and Jan, thanks for the info. After reading your post I checked my map and realized when in October, 2003, we went up to Rocky Mountain National Park from Golden, CO, we returned down the west side of the park on US 34 past Lake Granby, then picked up US 40 near Granby. We stopped for dinner in Winter Park. So I remember that road well. It is really a beautiful drive. I'll also keep US 9 in mind. I was hoping to avoid Denver, coming from the east, but don't want to go up north of Rocky National Park and don't want to fight the July tourist traffic by going throught the park itself, especially with the house behind us. So I'll probably go ahead and take I70 through Denver, then pick up US 40 although I want to check out US9 you mentioned also.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote