Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2011, 05:30 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Sad day today - our Golden is gone

The years (14) and ailments were finally too much. Plates and screws in both hind legs from ruptured ACLs, arthritis in both hips and starting in a shoulder, a bout with Rocky Mountain spotted fever that led to temporary blindness but recovered from both, a bout with mini seizures controlled by meds, digestive problems that led us to cook a special diet for her the last couple years, and recent diagnosis with bladder cancer. The last one was just too much.
A rescue dog we have had for the last 6 years. Expensive, but well worth it. The sweetest and most loving dog I have ever been around. Given up by her former owner (a vet) after a divorce. Still don't see how he could do it.
But his loss was our gain and we have enjoyed every minute of her being with us. Never missed a trip in the Monty. Had to use a ramp to get her in/out of the truck and trailer. But she loved going and always seemed to know when we were getting ready to go. Going to be a lot different traveling this year.

BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:45 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Sorry for you loss. 14 years is great. Mrs Country Guy has a poste on this link about the Rainbow Bridge. If you have not read it, it is great for this time in your life.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:47 AM   #3
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I know how you feel. We had two Labs that went through 4 TPLO's and various other ailments.
We lost our Yellow lab last year,but still have our chocolate lab with us.
It's so hard to loose a loved pet. God Bless you!
Jack and Terry
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Losing a pet is very tough. A pet has to be cared for like a young child all their life. They do pretty much nothing without your assistance and approval. While a young child grows and becomes an independent individual, the pet is always at your mercy.

Rest assured, it was probably very tough for that vet to give him up, but with the vet's family breaking up anyway it probably turned out the best for Austin since he ended up in a wonderfully caring family. Besides the obvious positive experience of pampering your pet, the prior owner can probably appreciate that he was well cared for and pampered by you. That's a huge gain in the lifestyle for your "rescue". That was one very fortunate dog and he probably knew it.

Hopefully, time will heal. Envisioning all the routines with Austin in regards to the RV, and not seeing him actually do these anymore will be tough. But the memories will bring joy to your heart and maybe a little tear to the eye. They did for us when we lost our little pet and now over time the memories are still a joy to our hearts.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Our thoughts are with you. Thanks John for posting the link to the Rainbow Bridge.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I feel your pain. We have always had Goldens. We have two now the old guy Kobe 11 & Yogi 8. I need to get or build a ramp this year, Kobe is starting to struggle with the steps and jumping into the truck. Just remember she now running like a pup again.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bill and Patricia,
We are saddened to learn of the loss of your beloved Golden. Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We are sorry to hear of your loss...some would say "it is just a dog," but the truth is we take them into our home and hearts and they become part of us. It may be too soon to be thinking of another, but I was just reading about an organization devoted to "saving" Goldens from abusive situations...there might be some lost Golden out there just waiting for you. For now, your girl does not feel the pain she has endured these last few years...that, at least, is a good thing.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
A sad day indeed.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #10
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We are so sorry for your loss of your Golden Rescue. Since we rescued our Grey last year, we know how deeply into our hearts they go.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Whether a Golden or a Chihuahua, they do fill our hearts with unconditional love. We share in your sorrow and pray you will find the strength to rescue another some day. I have included a poem that we found solace in when we had to say goodbye to our beloved Golden, Sam.

"IF IT SHOULD BE"
If it should be that I grow weak,
And the pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.
You will be sad, I understand,
Don't let your grief then stay your hand,
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.
We've had so many happy years,
What is to come can hold no fears,
You'd not want me to suffer so,
The time has come, please let me go.
Take me where my need they'll tend,
And stay with me until the end,
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time that you'll see,
The kindness that you did for me,
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.
Please do not grieve, it must be you,
Who had this painful thing to do,
We've been so close, we two, these years,
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.
Anonymous

Phil & Cathy (former Golden parents).
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #12
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
We feel your loss and share it as do all of us who have lost our beloved companions. The pain lessens but never goes away. Hold her in your heart and she will be with you forever. All the best ...
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #13
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
July we put down Thunder, our black lab of 14 years...last week we had to put down Lightning, after 14-1/2 years. Did the ramps, the special diets...anything and everything that we thought would help. We seek comfort in the many, many grand memories and the fact we did everything possible for them.
Our prayers and thoughts go out....
Bill
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:28 AM   #14
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
So sorry for the loss of your beloved pet....our pets remain in our hearts forever, we lost our cat of 17 yrs and have wonderful memories of his time in our lives. Our prayers are with you..............

Betty and Paul
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:27 AM   #15
bjj5633
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9546
sorry for your loss.
bjj5633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #16
otto0813
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5620
We are also sorry for your loss. So many of us on this forum have also lost beloved pets; we must remember the joy they brought into our lives.
otto0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:34 AM   #17
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
Sorry for your loss, we lost our friend and companion shiatsu last fall.

we now have a cocker puppy and remember what its like to have a new baby in the family.

nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #18
AZbear
Established Member

M.O.C. #11081
You have our sympathy. We lost our Bear one month ago. He was a phenomenal Border Collie (10 yrs old) that was an integral part of our family. Everyone who know him thought he was the dearest thing ever. He contracted Valley Fever (disseminated type) that ended in his brain and was pretty much incurable. We're still dealing with an empty space in our lives, but did have wonderful years with him. Traveling next year will definitely be different without our little companion.

Jeff & Kathy
AZbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #19
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I believe that our humanity is measured in part by the compassion and love we feel for our animal companions. We have been very fortunate to have had several of these "children with fur".
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote