Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
If it's not one thing it is two!

Mary Kay is sitting working on the computer at our desk and Bandit sticks his head up for her to pet him. As she looks down at him she does not recognize him!

His little face was swollen so much that he looked like someone had pumped air into all the skin around his neck and head! She quickly picked him up and brought him into where I was sitting. Wow! I could not believe how puffed up he was. Started trying to figure out what could have happened. I had had some fish for dinner and fed both the boys some Hush Puppies. I can't see how Hush Puppies could have caused the swelling. So we were at a loss as to what could be causing the extreme swelling.

Then we remembered that yesterday about 10:30 or 11:00 both the boys got their shots updated. It seems like a long time for the vaccine to wait to cause a problem. But the emergency vet indicated he thought that was likely the cause. They administered a couple of shots to counter act the unwanted vaccine side effects. It has been a couple of hours now and his little face is slowly getting back to normal and his actions indicate he is feeling a little better.

We've learned over the past years that you really should watch for complications from the various vaccines that your furry friends have to have.

Anyway we are breathing easier now that the swelling seems to be going down.

Buddy and Bandit are now ready to meet all their 4 legged friends at Q. And with the number of new folks joining the Circle I'll bet they make a whole bunch of new friends. Their humans are also looking forward to getting to Q and seeing all their old friends and making some new ones.

See you all soon.
Dennis and Mary Kay and Bandit and Buddy

UPDATE:
Saturday morning..... Bandit is almost back to normal. He still has a little swelling in the throat area. But otherwise he is acting 'normal'. And it was just Bandit that had the problem. Sorry if my rambling made it sound like both dogs had a problem.
Dennis

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Oh the poor little babies... I'm so glad they are getting better.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:56 AM   #3
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Dennis, glad to hear it appears to have been a reaction to the shots.
Gotta take care of the family, two legged and four legged both.

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Last rabies shot Miss Tilly got she turned beet red ALL over her body, one massive hive. Mr. G also had a serious reaction to one of his last shots, given before we discovered he is in early stages of renal failure.

Shots are necessary, but, I will be glad when the vets and the state laws catch up on titer testing as an alternative once the basic round of shots have been given. These shots actually have much longer "staying" power than is commonly acknowledged. A 3 year rabies is actually "active" and effective for much longer, at least 4 years. This is specifically true for the smaller breeds. Age has something to do with it as well, so the older dogs have more of the "protection" in their systems and don't need re-vacination as frequently.

Disclaimer time: I AM NOT a vet. Dogs MUST be vacinated. Small dogs are what I am talking about, that is what I have, that is what I know.

Get educated about the side effects of vacinations, it might save your fur kids life!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
It is so scary watching something like this happen. You feel so helpless.... AND so guilty!

But Mr. Bandit is definitely looking better this morning.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:18 AM   #6
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Dennis,Glad to hear Bandits OK!
I always tell Terry,when ours we're 6 weeks old we should of gotten each of them S.S. numbers for medical deductions. LOL Have fun at Q!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Last rabies shot Miss Tilly got she turned beet red ALL over her body, one massive hive. Mr. G also had a serious reaction to one of his last shots, given before we discovered he is in early stages of renal failure.

Shots are necessary, but, I will be glad when the vets and the state laws catch up on titer testing as an alternative once the basic round of shots have been given. These shots actually have much longer "staying" power than is commonly acknowledged. A 3 year rabies is actually "active" and effective for much longer, at least 4 years. This is specifically true for the smaller breeds. Age has something to do with it as well, so the older dogs have more of the "protection" in their systems and don't need re-vacination as frequently.

Disclaimer time: I AM NOT a vet. Dogs MUST be vacinated. Small dogs are what I am talking about, that is what I have, that is what I know.

Get educated about the side effects of vacinations, it might save your fur kids life!!
You are so right about the dangers of over-vaccination! There is so much information out there to support the fact that we don't need to give shots as often as most places require.

http://www.doglogic.com/vaccination.htm

http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/...ineDamage.html

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/he...s-is-more.aspx

http://healthyasadog.com/is-your-vet...ion-guidelines

http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/2009/0...shot-for-dogs/

Personally, I have been involved with dogs for 40 years as a breeder and exhibitor. I have made the decision to vaccinate according to Dr. Dodds recommendations as she is considered to be the most knowledgeable researcher on the topic in the country. I will get titers run on my dogs and carry the information with me. I will also get a note from my veterinarian stating that my dogs should not be vaccinated due to health risks. If I am ever questioned, I will provide all the documentation and plead my case. This is more expensive than getting annual shots but my dogs are much loved and they are worth it!

What others do is their own choice, of course.

WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote