Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
nickandmarilyn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5229
Anyone have experience w/Consignment?

Instead of trying to sell my 3400 from a distance. I am in NYC and it is in Florida, I am considering consigning it to a dealer. Any help you can provide regarding what to look out for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Nick

nickandmarilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I would try to find a consignment lot. We did this with our boat and it sure made it easier as all he gets commisions is what he sells off the lot ,otherwise a dealer will pus his own first
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
One advantage of a dealer is he can usually hook the buyer up with the bank that does his units. That makes the buyer able to go longer on a loan if he needs to depending on the price of the unit.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Whomever you deal with do your homework on them. A friend thought he sold his motorhome through a well advertised consignment dealer out in Arizona a couple of years ago. The people that bought the motorhome decided after a year they didn't want it any longer and took it back to Arizona. Long story short, the consignment dealer never had the paperwork completed for the transaction so my friend got a call from the bank wanting to know why they had stopped paying the payments (the new owners had simply been paying my friends payments) He ended up going thru Chapter 11 ... the consignment guy is now in jail.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
shotgunred10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9798
We bought ours from a dealer in Jackson, MS, who had it on consignment. I don't know how it went on the other end, but everything went mighty well on our end. They have a fairly large yard and plenty of room to display, also, they have a web-site where the inventory is displayed. That is how we found ours in the first place.
Camper Corral is the name, it's just off I-55 North.
shotgunred10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
I sold a motor home on consignment thru a local dealer several years ago. They take 10 to 12 %. It worked great for me. There's a big consigment lot in Houston, pplmotorhomes.com Go to their web site, it exlpains the advantages and procedures of doing this. It's a good read. Good Luck
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:35 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I tried to sell a trailer with no luck, so I went that route. It cost me some $$ but they sold it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:52 AM   #8
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Have you posted it on our MOC? Other thoughts are to use ebay and craigslist for Florida as well as consignment.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:57 AM   #9
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
We had great success selling our last 5th wheel on consignment. We did a lot of research and I feel avoided a lot of possible issues. We ended up consigning to a dealer for a flat $3,000 fee. The dealer was paid $1,500 and the sales person was paid $1,500. In addition, the dealer was able to offer financing and an extended warranty to the buyer (for added commissions to the dealership). We left the camper at the dealer lot, registered and insured, just in case. Held the title until the camper was sold. We ended up getting $2K more than I thought we could sell it for ourselves and about $3K more than we could trade it for. We were in no rush so this worked out great.

We did find dealers willing to take less of a bite, but did not feel comfortable with them. I really liked the direct commission to sales people. This ensured our consigned unit was pushed as much as other used and new units on the lot. The sales people were paid $1K for selling new units and $1200 for selling used units. It works out great for dealers these days as they do not need to finance the camper or risk not being able to sell. If it did not sell, we could simply take it back, no strings attached. The camper was sold in 7 weeks, mid-winter in Vermont. I did not expect to be able to sell it until spring, and though it would be best to give the dealer a shot mid-winter. If it did not sell during the winter, we planned to take it back in the spring and use it for another year before upgrading. This was the winter of 08/09 and not the best time to be selling. In the end, we got a decent price and last spring ordered and took delivery of our new Montana without having to deal with the trading in games.

Tim
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
Doug and Anita
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3321
Thanks for the advice. I have bought a new unit and will be selling my 2005 Montana 3295RK with all of the extras soon as I wash and clean the unit. It has 2 AC, Washer/Dryer, King bed, basement slide out. We also replaced the carpet in the living area with a wood laminate and it looks great. I will miss it but we bought an acre of land and bought a Park Model for a permanent spot and will probably buy a smaller Montana for travel later. I am still 2 years short of retirement. Consignment may be the answer, if I can find a reliable dealer.
Doug and Anita is offline   Reply With Quote