Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
New Water Leak Discovered

I noticed a new water leak. I thought it was from the shower area but everything in that area seems to be ok. It appears to be leaking only when the black tank is being flushed. I will need to remove the side panel next to the service center and see if I can spot anything. Has anyone else ever noticed a problem like this?

This is a freash water leak BTW. I think only during the time the water flush is on. Its dripping directly from the edge above the basement area along the wall.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Sounds like your anti-siphon valve between the shower and the rear of the kitchen pantry is leaking. I posted last year how I changed ours including pictures.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Steve and Susie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12618
ON our unit the anti=siphon valve mentioned above is under the bathroom sink. The drippings came down the line and into the compartment below making it difficult to find the actual leak. Replacing that little valve took care of the problem. Hope this helps. Happy Trails
Steve and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Steve and Susie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12618
Whoa, just re-read your post. Don't remove any side panels until you spot the anti-siphon valve. Like I said, mine was under the bathroom sink, yours might be somewhere else, but it will be at the top of a line that looks just like a water line, but will only have that little relief valve on the top.
Steve and Susie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Check out these postings for member's previous experience with finding and replacing the anti-siphon check valve. The valve is usually behind the pantry next to the shower in a 3400. Both snfexpress and Sriegle have 3400 type rigs.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=50158

snfexpress posting with pictures
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=45081

Sriegle's post with pictures
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39046&SearchTerms=check,valve,bla ck,tank

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Those backflow preventers are just another case of Keystone using the cheapest parts they can find. If that's your problem get a good one to replace it with not the same thing.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:33 AM   #7
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I just had this problem yesterday when flushing the black tank.....now to find the anti-siphon valve before I cut the hole in the cabinet.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Apparently it was the anti-siphon valve leaking after all. I tried to trace the leak by turning on the flush line and duplicating it. I couldn’t get any water to show up where it did the other day which is how I discovered that something was amiss in the first place. The valve is located between the shower and the pantry just like snfexpress stated. Why in the world didn’t they install it in a more sensible place? It was difficult to get to but I managed to get a picture of it. While the flush was turned on I could feel some water seeping out from around the valve. I took some pliers and I was able to tighten the top fitting you see in the photo with 2-3 (small) snug turns. It appears to be ok now. I turned the flush water back on and I wasn’t able to detect any water leaking. I’ll have to keep a watch on it for a while but I believe everything is ok at this point.

Well on Edit: I think I spoke too soon!
I went back out to check it again and found some trickling water underneath the valve. I’ll just have to get a replacement and see if that will work.

Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Bill,
If it happens again do not tighten the connectors, replace it. Sometimes the valve stick and they should be replace. It is a cheap fix.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bill,
Please tell me you don't leave the black tank flush connection hooked up all the time! If so that is a disaster waiting to happen. I did that one time thinking I'd be ahead of the game when it was time to flush the tank. It did not occur to me that someone would ever turn that valve on! After I realized how easy it would be to turn on and fill up and flood while we were away I immediately disconnected the hose. Now I still keep the hose handy but NOT hooked up to the valve. I feel much safer.

You should know that I've NEVER heard of anyone having this happen. I'm sure it is just my paranoia. But just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get me! Just saying...... Be careful. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
I saw it happen. We go to Gulf Shores, AL. for Jan and Feb. A neighbor had his non camper brother come down for a week end and wanted to wash his car. The camper took his hose loose and told brother to use this one and then left with wife to shop. The non camping brother after washing car hooked hose back up and assumed the water should be on. He then went for car ride. I never would have thought it would do so much damage. The unit was a five month old 5th wheel and insurance would not total it but it should have been.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #12
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Bill,
Please tell me you don't leave the black tank flush connection hooked up all the time! If so that is a disaster waiting to happen. I did that one time thinking I'd be ahead of the game when it was time to flush the tank. It did not occur to me that someone would ever turn that valve on! After I realized how easy it would be to turn on and fill up and flood while we were away I immediately disconnected the hose. Now I still keep the hose handy but NOT hooked up to the valve. I feel much safer.

You should know that I've NEVER heard of anyone having this happen. I'm sure it is just my paranoia. But just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get me! Just saying...... Be careful. Dennis

That is risky for sure, good advice! I will say this, when I first got the present Montana I hooked the fresh water to the black tank connection by mistake. I thought I had a bad leak and there wasn’t any water anywhere it should be. I could hear water running and just couldn’t figure out what was wrong. I even called my “phone-a-friend” life line, (Bingo) for assistance. Well by the time he returned my call we had finally figured out what was wrong. Actually Donna pointed it out to me. Boy did I feel stupid. I will say that nothing bad happened as a result; no flooding or anything coming out the top of the vents either. After it was over I heard a few good laughs exchanged at my expense. Things can and do happen in spite of ourselves. I have been very careful after that episode.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Bill, I would of told the wife I was filling the tank to flush out all the particles left in there from the manufacturing process. I do not hook up the flushing till I am ready to use it. I have this problem of worrying about cross contaminating my fresh water system. There is a reason they require a back flow preventer on a sprinkler system at ones house. I know a lot of things would have to fail to have this happen but why take the chance.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Well last weekend while out camping I got a couple of jobs done that I had put off on the camper. I changed the anti-siphon valve and as far as I can tell, it seems to have taken care of the leak.

Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote