Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2014, 05:13 AM   #1
MrRobinGrimes
Established Member

M.O.C. #14034
Tall guy, shorty mattress don't match, My fix

We bought our first RV, used, about 18 months ago. (3670RL) We've been using it and making adjustments to fit our preferences ever since. I'm 6'2" and don't like sleeping with my feet hanging off the bed, I had to come up with a way to add a regular Queen mattress (80in) to platform made for a Shorty mattress (74-76").

The change sounded simple in my head. So we bought a new pillow top queen and wrestled it into the bedroom after tossing the old mattress.

First problem: The platform was to short to support the end of the mattress. So I stared at the platform for a while, trying to figure out how to add 4-6 inches to the end. I had finally decided I would have to go buy and cut a new sheet of plywood when my brilliant father-in-law walked it, looked at the problem for 2 seconds and provided the solution. He had me unscrew the platform top, hinges and lift arms plus the upper part of the platform that is static. Then we closed the bedroom slide. He moved the platform down to where it was only an inch from the dresser. Then we remounted everything and added a 1x4 board to the top edge by the headboard. This added 4 inches to the length of the platform without it hitting the dresser when closed. Perfect.

Opened slide, re-installed new mattress and closed slide.... Oops, Problem #2. The bed hit the dresser. Not willing to give up the full length bed, we compromised and use two plastic boxes to raise the end of the bed above the dresser so the slide will close all the way.

Slide closed:

Slide open:

We lose 4-5 inches from the isle with slide open, but there is still plenty of room to get to the dresser drawers and closet. And the trade off is worth it to me.

MrRobinGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hmm, I wonder if you could build a large frame/platform that sits on top of the existing platform so that the mattress sits so high that it clears the dresser. and then you could use those two plastic boxes as steps for getting into the now higher bed. Or get in like you were mounting a horse. I also have a headboard kind of thing but that should be able to be raised to the new mattress height, or remove it or modify it to fit.

In either case, reselling it would take some explaining unless you sell it to someone that's just as tall.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's a shame you had to engineer that, but it seems like a workable solution. We were lucky, ours came with a king bed we didn't want so I could cut the plywood down to fit the pillow top queen.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I did the same. Now DW has room on the closet side of the bed and she's happy.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

That's a shame you had to engineer that, but it seems like a workable solution. We were lucky, ours came with a king bed we didn't want so I could cut the plywood down to fit the pillow top queen.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
He wasn't making the bed less wide, he worked on making it longer. Now that's much harder since there's really no room to make it longer. He ended up propping the bed lengthwise above the dresser to get the slideout closed.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:52 AM   #6
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Gonna have to fix my my platform like you did, I have a queen mattress but mine does fits right up against the dresser but the platform is short so it's hard to sit at the end of the bed.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:47 AM   #7
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Good information to know. We have a new mattress in the budget for this summer. Guess we will have to do some serious measuring to determine what will fit before we make the final decision.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:47 AM   #8
SouthernBelle
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13809
I bet my husband (chieflawdawg) wished he would have thought of that! We had the same layout in the bedroom of our '02 Monty. Steve is 6'5" and his back would start hurting several days into our trips. When we started looking for another Monty, a king size bed was a must. ENJOY!
SouthernBelle is offline   Reply With Quote