Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2004, 03:19 AM   #1
Montana_513
Established Member

M.O.C. #513
Goodbye And Thanks

We just sold our 04 Mountaineer because as some of you may have may have read in my past posts, Sue was sensitive to the chemical off-gasing from the 5er. We owned it for over a year and never used it once. It never got better over time and it was time to cut our loses. Thank you for your suggestions and support. I will drop in now and then and good luck to everyone.

Montana_513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 03:26 AM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
CraigandSue, So sorry that the chemical gasing never got better we will miss you so please do stop in and let us know how things are going. Good Luck
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:02 AM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Sorry to hear about the gassing problem. We bought a good used model from a Montana dealer so it was already outgassed. Betty is very sensitive to the same thing so I guess we will always have to buy used. Good luck.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:05 AM   #4
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
What, exactly, is outgassed?
-----------------------------
Sorry to hear about the gassing problem. We bought a good used model from a Montana dealer so it was already outgassed. Betty is very sensitive to the same thing so I guess we will always have to buy used. Good luck.
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:28 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Many products give off chemical fumes as gasses long after they have been manufactured(carpet, draperies, fiberglass panels, plastics, linoleum, Scotchgard, paint, stains, etc.) to which some folks are extremely allergic or sensitive. Sometimes these will "off-gas" for several months(or longer)until the person either becomes acclimated to the lower levels or they go away completely.

Sometimes the process can be sped up by opening up all the windows & vents and turning on fans, A/Cs, dehumidifiers, etc. to remove the fumes as fast as they are emitted.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:43 AM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Captbanjo,

I have a Statement of Formaldehyde from building materials in my folder from Keystone RV Company.

"WARNING: Formaldehyde levels in the indoor air can cause eye and respiratory irritation and may aggravate respiratory conditions or allergies."
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 06:27 AM   #7
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
We're so sorry it did not work out for you folks. You might consider the same model USED. As several folks have indicated the outgassing should be pretty much gone in such a model.

But do please stop by from time to time and say hello and let us know how things are going.

RVWheels/admin for the MOC
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:24 AM   #8
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We are also sorry to see you leave. We understand though as one of us has severe allergies & asthma.

Good luck to you and hopefully you can buy a used Montana that will let you enjoy the "Montana RV Life".

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:42 AM   #9
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
Craig and Sue, we, too, are sorry to lose you and appreciate your willingness to check in with us occasionally.

RVWheels suggestion is a good one. You might be able to spend a couple of hours in a used rig to make sure it's not a problem before buying. We know how much you wanted this to work.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 09:00 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hi Craig and Sue. Like the others, I sure hate to lose you. I hope you're not giving up entirely and will be able to check out good used units and find one you like that's also fully gassed out. Either way, good luck and please do stop in when you can. If you ever see that we're in your area please give us a holler. Maybe we can get together for a bit.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:00 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Fractured dreams bring powerful disappointments. It Sounds like you folks have the stuff it takes to alter your course and built new dreams and focus on other opportunities. I wish you the very best.

If you like the outdoors and your health permits, perhaps backpacking or "truck camping" can provide some positive experiences and fond memories. I know we are going to pack our backpacking gear in the Monty to be used where Monty can't go.

Some of our suggestions may sound silly and others may feel like salt in the wound, but our awkwardness comes because we don't really have a clue as to what to say.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 02:08 AM   #12
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Sorry to hear of the out gassing problem.... Once a member always a member. Stop in...and chat a while.
Take care
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 04:32 AM   #13
Montana_1190
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1190
Craig and Sue, we chatted with each other a few times as we were both buying the same rig at about the same time. I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you. The fumes in our Mountaineer bothered me too but luckily we store ours at home so I opened the windows everyday and now it's fine. I hope you are able to find a rig and fulfill your dream of RVing.
Montana_1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 03:54 PM   #14
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Very sorry to hear that your problem with the smell would not go away. I hope you don't give up on Rving. It is a very nice way to vacation or live.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 05:23 PM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Craig and Sue,
Sorry your unit didn't work for you. I too have a lot of alergies and new carpet (actually it is the backing) is one of my problems. I was worried but our unit had been on the dealer's lot for a while so some of that smell that no one else can smell was gone. Also it was warm when we got the unit and since I am living in it almost full time, we had the doors and windows opened a lot the first month. I'm sure that helped. I think the suggestion about buying a used unit is a good one.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 06:29 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I wonder if having the carpet removed and linoleum installed would help.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:30 AM   #17
Montana_513
Established Member

M.O.C. #513
Thank you all for your kind words. Used is the way to go for us. We were in a couple 03 models that still bothered Sue so we may have to try an 02 or older.
Montana_513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 08:52 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Craig, please let us know how this turns out, even if you end up with something other than a Montana. I think the folks here are all hoping you'll find something that will allow you folks the enjoyment of the 'camping' experience.