Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Pin box repair cost

Noticed a little issue around my pin box so I took it to my dealer to check it out. They want $500 just to pull the skin back to see what might be causing the issue. Is it that much labor involved in uncovering the frame around the pin box? Is that something that I might be able to do at the house? Anybody done it or had it done? Thanks for any responses.

chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Try taking some pictures of what's upsetting you and sending them to Keystone Customer Service and see what they say. The worst that can happen is that things stay as they are.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Can you spend $500 and the time to go to the Rally in Goshen? If you can, you will most likely come out ahead because your noticed problem, along with your unnoticed problems may be corrected free of charge...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
That is one of my concerns, if it is safe to travel. I have noticed some separation of the molding near the ODS front landing gear that gets worse when attached to the tv. Only gaping about 1/2", but enough to concern me. My Monte is 10 years old and about time for a new one, so question is do I fix this or trade? Would love to go to Goshen, but can't this year.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Steve....I will put the wine glass rack on hold til we know if you trade for a new Montana......also..we have plans for the national rally in 2013...you can still go if you get a new one or not...maybe we will travel together.....best of luck if you try to fix your problem....let us know....
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Sounds like a plan. Thanks. Was hoping to get one more year out of this one, but don't know about that now.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Steve,
It is not too difficult to drop the cover surrounding around the pin. You may also have to pull the cover from the overhang around the basement. This should allow you to see any damage or broken supports. It certainly is not a $500 job. Unless they go ahead an fix all the broken stuff. Removing and replacing the coverings is definitely something you could do. Good luck and let us know what happens. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:54 AM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
x2 on the DIY for investigation, pull the side rail insert to access screws, remove
and pull the belly pan.
Sounds like the issue I've been battling...
Originally, had the side slat welds fail which hold up the overhang side walls.
I've since done my own repair for fear of attempt to weld would set the rig on fire.
Got most of that gap corrected but still need to adjust how the side molding fits to
eliminate the remaining.

noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
wow that looks familiar if i could post pic here i would show you mine i had 4" of movement in my pin box it was so bad the cost was around $10,000.00 to fix it they weld in allot of metal to fix it and took those flat bar pieces out and use angle iron instead now she is good to go lipped really did us no help by not strengthen the front of the frame i was told they did this to light the load but this is a real weak point in the trailer. i have been a welder for long time and 6 to 7 spot welds on a heavy trailer that gets the crap beat out of it every time you go down these find U.S. roads. i will tell you i have seen how warranty work is dun on a coach i will not say the name but the work was so bad that when it left RV repair shop and got 5 to 10 mile down the road they were right back with a crack all the way up the front cap ouch! i hope this does not black ball me from the site. just a little mad about this or as my better half saids to a little passioned
jimmy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you can get it to the Keystone Customer Service center they will fix it right and if you do take it to a dealer make sure Keystone is involved. Keystone, in many cases, has had the dealer send them pictures of the repair for them to approve. Take pictures of the movement and call Keystone. The worst thing that can happen is your still where you are now.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Guys at dealership were great (Terrell Family Camping Center). We're straight forth and honest. Said there is a metal plate that covers the bottom under the bedroom. It appears that one side, the ODS, is moving up and down about 1/4". The dealer gave me the number to the Lippert repair center in Chester, SC. He said that is where they sent all of the recall repairs on Montanas over the past ten years. I will call them on Monday. Dealership replaced some screws in the molding that were too short and they held for the 30 mile trip home. They didn't believe that it would take too much to fix the problem. Hopes and prayers. Thanks for all of the comments.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
I'm sorry about that it is not can't post pic here. it is that I'm computer inept I'm not to smart with computer. i did not want to say the name because they make some real nice coaches. it was not the shop ether it was how the company handle it. this is why i did not say nothing about it did not want heart no one feelings. be black ball mean it as a joke
jimmy2 is offline   Reply With Quote