Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2010, 02:55 AM   #1
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
HELP with electrical problem

We have a 06 3650RK and when we got to Florida before New Years and set up we had no 12 volt power to our fridge.I talked to a mobile repairman that was in cg working on another 5er and told me I can connect to the 12 volt for the range hood and figured I would trace the problem later(when I got around to it since I figured the belly would have to be dropped.)Well this morning I woke and found no power to the fridge or the hood.These two lines run together so I think that whatever caused the fridge wire problem has now got to the hood wire also(possibly a pinch somewhere).My question is can I run a new wire from the fuse panel to the fridge and hood until I get figured out where the old ones run to trace the problem?And do you think the old ones run in the belly?Any help would be greatly appreciated,since I have to do something soon or I will lose my stuff in the fridge.Thank you!

junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:11 AM   #2
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
The wire for the fridge I am sure runs in the wire harness under that slide. May have a pinch there. There fridge as for 12volt runs the light in the fridge not the fridge its self thats propane or shore electric. But with the stove fan off i would say pinched wire. Also check the fuse box. And check any other 12volt lights in the kitchen.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:17 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The fridge need 12V to run the control card, whether you are on propane or not. The first thing I would check is the connections at the fuse box as well as pull the fuse, visually check it and re-insert. I assume that all other 12V is working. If so it has to be either a grounded wire or loose connection at the rear of the fuse panel. From there I would start with wiring checks with a multimeter or circuit tester. Keep us informed.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Start with the circuit breaker for the converter. For some reason, it is fairly common to trip this breaker, which then causes the battery to go dead because it no longer gets charged. Please note, it's a circuit breaker and not a fuse. If the breaker is ok, then check the inverter to make sure it's operating.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:21 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Tom,
It sounds like it an an isolated 12V leg from the OP, I guess clarification is needed, if all 12V is out, your approach would be good for the initial check. Curious as to whether all 12V is out or just the one leg. If it is the one leg only, I think it would have to originate at the fuse panel.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:24 AM   #6
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
After posting and further investigation, I have checked the ground,the fuse and all connections in the panel and all is good. The problem is just with the 2 sets of wires for the hood and fridge.All other 12 volt including in the kitchen is good. I also checked for pinching under the slide-and you guessed it all is good.
And to top it off the best I can tell all the wiring runs up through the ceiling.So for now I think I am going to run a temp wire from the panel across the floor to the wires,where they come through the cabinet.We have to change campgrounds in about a week and were going to get some rain so I dont want to start no major projects until we move.Thank you some much for the replys so far and if anyone else has any comments of suggestions I would like to hear them.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:57 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The only other cheap temporary fix would be a cheap AC to DC converter plugged into a kitchen outlet so you wouldn't have to worry about the wire running across the floor. Just a thought.
Bingo

Old 01-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Thanks guys for the help.I went to Home Depot and bought enough wire to run through the belly when we get moved next week.I went ahead and tied it in temporary and ran it behind chairs and under throw rugs.Total price of fix when I am done $15 and some patience and time.Thanks again for the help,its always nice to know we have access to more than one brain haha.
P.S. It sure would be nice to know what happened up in the ceiling.

Oooohhhh, I think I am headed for some work by professionals. About half an hour ago my overhead kitchen light and a wall light in the living room on the other side of the kitchen light switch just went out. Both 12 volt. There is sure is something going on now. Again all fuses,breakers,grounds,loose stuff I can check is ok.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #9
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Do you have a mouse in there chewing wires as fast as you fix them?????
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:43 AM   #10
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
That has come to mind once but I dismissed it since we have no proof. No sounds, no smells, and no droppings. But it does make ones brain think what is going on. Sad part is my DW is already fet up and saying sell,sell,sell and I am saying no,no,no, I like our home.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:45 AM   #11
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Running down wiring problems can be time consuming and a pain, especially in a confined area like these units, but you can do it! Most of the wiring runs through the floor of the trailer and up the walls for economic reasons (shorter runs). Do I under you to be saying the range hood did work then quit the next morning? Is the hood and refrigerator on the same circuit? When you checked the fuses, did you check for power at the fuse? If you have power at the fuse, and no power at the refrigerator or hood, you have a broken connection, either caused by a loose connection or cut wire. An ac/dc ohm meter will let you check for power at the refrigerator and hood, and you can also use the ohm meter to check for continuity which is a fancy word for broken or loose wires. If you have power at the fridge and/or hood, the issue is ground related. Keep us posted on your testing and we'll keep trying to help!

Mice can reek havoc by chewing off insulation, but that normally results in shorts which blow fuses - not power loss. Your problem sounds more like a loose connection on either the power or ground.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:12 AM   #12
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
When we set up from our trip south and turned the fridge on we had no power.I had power to the hood.There are two sets of 12 volt wires running to that slide.One for the fridge and one for the hood.I spliced the positive wire for the fridge to the positive for the hood.That worked for a couple of weeks till yesterday morning I awoke to find the fridge had no power,checked the hood and nothing either.So I figured whatever happened to the fridge wire also happened to the hood wire.It is the positive side,I checked the ground and it is good.There is power at the panel and fuses and I checked the wire for power as far down the line I could till it went up in the wall(which leads me to believe the wiring's in the ceiling and not the floor)and had 14 volts.So I ran a temp wire from the panel to the hood and fridge.Later the two lights quit.???????
Old 01-22-2010, 02:54 AM   #13
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I found a wiring junction box on the frame under the slide. You might check there for a problem. Good luck and let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:37 AM   #14
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
John,thank you and I checked and on mine it was a 110 volt box.maybe for the 110 portion of the fridge and the micro.It looks like the guessing game is going to continue for now.Please don't stop with the ideas whereas we might some up with a solutuion so I don't have to take it to the shop.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #15
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If you 12 volt failure is on the slide then there has to be a location where the wires come from the coach to the slide. I suggest you check that area and all the bundles for the 12 volt wires. Another option is calling Keystone service and ask there where the splice is for those 12 volt wires.
Good luck.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #16
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Just like I checked the wires at the panel and as far into the wall as I could, I traced the wires from the slide back along the frame and up into the rear cap.I could see them in a hole where the bottom of the rear cap and the rear stabilizers come together.Seeing the wires go up into the wall by the panel and up along the rear cap,along with the ceiling light not working leads me to believe the wires run through the ceiling and that is where the problem is.I do think a call to Keystone would be benificial at this time.I also climbed on the roof to make sure there was no holes (THANK YOU GOD)causing the problem.It entered my mind since I have not been up there in a couple months and one never knows what could happen.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #17
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Jim,
You have done all I can think of. I guess I would do as you suggested and run the now 12 wires under the belly. I would get some wire loom to route the wires through and better protect them. Good luck.