Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #1
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Fresh Water Tank leak

We are trying to get back to home in NW WA and ran into sleet and snow today so had to abandon and stop at our daughters place in Puyallup, WA. Snow forecasted for tomorrow. But anyway, this stinking 2006 3400RL just will not allow us a trip w/o something going wrong. Besides the propane tank regulator issue, Gas side of water heater no longer works, earlier today I noticed water running out the back end and sides of the belly cover. I drained the fresh water tank and that has seemed to stop the leak. I'm assuming that one of the pipe connections has come loose and have my fingers crossed that I haven't had a tank failure. Been through that already on the black tank. I'm assuming that I can get to the hose/pipe connection that goes forward from this tank by pulling the belly cover under it. Is this true?

Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Dang man, don't ever park by me!I sure don't want your luck rubbing off on us. Enough problems of our own. Seriously, you apparently got a real lemon. Hopefully things will look up in the future.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Before I start pulling belly panels I'd like to know if any other 3400RL owner has been down this road. 1st or 2nd panel from the back?
Old 04-16-2009, 02:26 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did have a black tank failure. A stress fracture at the point where the tank is supported in the angle iron. Never had a fresh,gray or Galley problem. We of course do not travel with any tank anywhere near full as that is tempting fate. The rear belly panels will be a bear to drop.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
richfaa,

We have never traveled with a full Black or Fresh water tank, ever. Maybe 5 gallons in the black tank and maybe 10 gallons in the Fresh Water tank for road use. Galley empty. If these two tanks can't handle that on the road something is drastically wrong. Why our black tank cracked is a mystery. I think stress from how the outlet pipe is mounted. Don't know what is wrong relative to the Fresh water tank yet. We have had so many loose sewer/water hose/pipe fittings, I'm hoping that is what has happened here again. I won't be fit to be around if this fresh water tank has also cracked. Enough is enough!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The fresh and galley tanks will not be easy to get to. There should be a seal at the point where the inlet pipe enters the tank. This seal leaked on our black tank and the dealership replaced it . They remarked on the "low quality" of the seal and there is a good chance that you may have that problem. Also go to the rear right hand corner behind the recliner and note a removable panel at floor level. This will reveal the inlet fill hose to the fresh water tank....Mine was never connected.. yours may have worked loose....
Old 04-16-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Rich, are the outlets welded on the tanks. I thought all the plastic tanks fittings were welded now. Seems I saw where you could buy fittings and friction weld them to the tank by spinning with a drill. I used to repair oil skimmer hose; clear vinyl hose, and you would just hold both ends to a belt sander, then stick together. Made a heck of a strong weld.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Will..They were NOT welded on my black tank. The seal was right below floor level ??? The idea is to allow up and down give while traveling however the seal is "cost effecive" and can wear fast if you travel a lot as we do.