Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #21
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
I just checked Ebay and you can get the Firestone Rite-Aid for $235.00 delivered.

av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #22
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Jan,
$730 for everything installed with a Lifetime Warranty? Sounds like a pretty fair price to me, but I was planning on it costing me about $1,200. for everything. I do not carry an air compressor with me, and do not really want to be out "looking" for air at fuel stations while on the road either. Sounds like I will also get the "whole package" this coming spring. Did CW tell you where they would mount the on board compressor in your truck??
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:21 AM   #23
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I bought them from Camping World and they installed also. Best thing I ever bought for our truck. I came too close to a big rock and it ruined the air valve on one side, camping world had the parts to fix it. Very happy with them.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:27 AM   #24
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Hey Dave,
They will install the compressor wherever you want them to. The guy told me some people don't like them outside due to the elements. I think I'll probably opt for somewhere inside also, or maybe in the bed of the truck. I'll get some feedback from them on differenct choices when I get it done. Also just FYI, for everything being done, they can do it in about 2-3 hours. I think Connor and I will just hang out while they do the work. She likes visiting with all the people that come up with the inevitable question..."Is that bird real"?...LOL

Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:47 AM   #25
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Jan,
Looking forward to hearing all about the install job when you have it done. I would like to have that compressor under the hood if possible. Rick told me they could mount it to the I beam on the frame as well. To bad the closest CW is 4.5 hours away or I would head down to get some more info.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:59 AM   #26
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sky,

You can have on of our CWs. We now have 3 within a 45 minute drive in any direction. Just come pick it up.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #27
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Brad,
I am jealous, but it is probably a good thing CW is 4+ hours away. If it were any closer, I would be one broke fella.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:26 PM   #28
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
SkyPilot and Cat320,
I do not agree that there is no benefit to airbags on a one ton dually. Our Cambridge drops the rear bumper of Bubba by sisx inches, well into the overloads. The I plan on installing the AirLift system this summer for two reasons, 1) the truck will run more level and avoid headligh misalignment 2) to get the load back up off the overloads. The bags give a much better ride than the steel overloads when loaded. I do agree there is not much help for teh unloaded ride.

I had airlift with onboard compressor on my 2500HD and thought they did an excellent job with both Montana and with the Cambridge.

Also, Airlift has a true air ride system available for 3/4 and one ton trucks. It is similar to the rear air ride systems installed on the Kodiak, It should improve the unloaded ride of the 3500. However, It is pretty pricey at around $2000. Of course, that is close to the same option on the Kodiak.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:52 AM   #29
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I spoke with CW back on 2/21 about ordering the air bags and having them installed on my truck. They made me put a deposit down, so I put down $500.00 so I won't have much of a balance when the work is done. I called them today since they said the bags were coming from Lansing (about 2 hours from here), so it would only take a few days. They called to find out what the deal is, and there is a back order for the bags. It will be another one or two weeks before they get them, and they can be installed. Nothing EVER goes smoothly in my world, so I shouldn't be surprised by this. I just don't like the idea of CW taking the money out of my account, and they don't even have the product yet. Oh well, time to chant the patience is a virtue thing.

Jan
Old 03-02-2007, 06:00 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I go with Dave on this one. We did have the Air bag system on our previous TV towing a TT and we needed to get to get that truck level. On our F-350 we have nearly 3 inches space between the rubber pad and the overload spring. (top spring) with the 3400 we just barley touch the spring when fully hooked up. Squat is not a problem ..However another 3 inches as Dave describes would be a problem and IMO airbags would be required. Not to increase any CC capacity(which they do not do anyhow) but to bring the TV level. Got them at CW. Had them on the TV for 9 years...not a single problem..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:36 AM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Someone earlier in this thread asked if the airbags help the ride. I find that when not towing they make for a harsher ride. Thus, I run mine with zero air in the bags when solo. That way they do not affect the ride. Firestone suggests 5 lbs of air when the truck is empty. That is so the bags are not damaged should the suspension bottom out over a bump. With the suspension already on my truck there is no way it is ever going to bottom out the rear suspension. I've run mine empty since new on this truck, almost 2 1/2 years ago, and also for a couple of years on our '99 truck. Never had a problem with the bags.

Where the bags do help the ride is when towing on those rough interstates and some other highways where you get that chucking motion. The airbags will not eliminate the action altogether but reaching down and adjusting the air pressure in the bags sure makes the ride much more comfortable. It takes some experimenting to get it right but after awhile it's almost automatic.

Jan, on our '99 the compressor was mounted under the hood. On this one I think it's on a frame rail but I'd have to go check that for sure. CRS. It's been there 2 1/2 years and I forgot where they put it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:21 AM   #32
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
CW called me today, the air bags are in. I made an appointment for Thursday. I'm glad I'll have the bags installed when I pick the Monty up from the dealership. This will give me a chance to try them out before taking another trip. I'll be taking the Monty up north to the private campground where I'm a seasonal within a months time. I want to get it up there before the spring thaw, otherwise it could be til June before the ground hardens up...LOL I think I may go with having the compressor installed under the hood also, less exposure to the elements I think.

Jan
Old 03-06-2007, 08:49 AM   #33
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
There is an alternative to air bags that require no maintenance and no adjustment ever. Timbren overloads are big hollow rubber springs that mount where the airbags go. They install in 1/2 hour. Timbrens level the ride towing and don't even touch when unloaded. Look here http://www.timbren.com/ I paid about $140 for mine.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:12 AM   #34
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
I bought mine from Summit Racing Equipment(http://www.summitracing.com/) with the in cab controller a few years ago for about $300.00 I believe. No problems what so ever. Here's the link to what they have to offer. (http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...15&Nao=0#rstop).

Lou
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:44 AM   #35
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Good luck Jan. You'll like the bags. I put my compressor under the rear seat, cause I couldn't find the room I wanted under the hood. I have a compressor under there for the Exhaust brake already. Let us know how you like them.
Rick
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:49 AM   #36
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
Hey Rick,
Is the noise from the compressor a problem at all? I'm just wondering if that would be an issue for Molly being back there when I'm on the road. She's still recovering from the Monty coming through the back window...She went from Black Lab to Lap Dog in a split second...LOL

Jan
Old 03-06-2007, 04:24 PM   #37
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I ran over to the coast this past weekend and stopped at the Camping World to get some info on installing air bags. The guy over there actually recommended I do not go with the air bags. His recommendation was to go with Super Springs. This is the first guy that has had more negative things to say about air bags than positive. Needless to say I did not get either, need to do more research....
http://www.supersprings.com
Old 03-06-2007, 05:38 PM   #38
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Jan, the compressor only runs when you want to adjust things. That said, mine was mounted under the frame. Hardly heard it at all. Then again I don't have a dog's hearing.

Montana Sky, What did they have to say? Our air rides never gave a hint of trouble and I liked to be able to adjust things. Our 3500 has overloads, essentially the same effect as Timbrens or Super Springs neither of which can be adjusted for load or conditions. I much preferred the air ride sytem We had on the 2500HD and plan to have this system installed on Bubba this summer.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #39
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Montana Sky,

Can you share his negative comments about air bags? I've a set on my truck for 12 years and encountered no problems.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #40
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I wanted to get bags and on board compressor w/ front to back leveling only installed on my truck. The fella from CW had the following negative things to say about installing airbags on my truck.

1. cause the rear end to bounce when empty. (even if you drop the bags to 5 lbs)
2. the bouncing will cause uneven tire wear.
3. the bags only have a 2 year warranty on them. He claims the average bag life is 4 to 5 years
4. the bags will cause the truck & coach to rock side to side when the coach is hitched. I have NO stability issues right now!
5. the on board compressors will last approx 2 years or so.
6. the harsh ride of the bags can cause a chucking motion.
7. the harsh ride of the bags can cause frame flex issues on the coach over time.

He said he would be more than happy to install the bags if I really wanted, but he strongly suggests the super springs instead.

The following were the positive things he had to say about the super springs,

1. life time warranty
2. do not alter the factory suspension
3. when the truck is empty, the super springs are not noticeable. (ride quality)
4. have no adverse effect on tire wear
5. can provide up to 4" of lift. (I only need 1.5-2". Want to get the headlights down for oncoming traffic)
6. no manual adjustment required. The super springs are self leveling
7. cost approx $375 less than the air bags and compressor installed.
8. 4,000 lb to 5,000 lb weight rating

I copied this from the Super Springs website,
"4. How are SuperSprings different from airbags?

SuperSprings are maintenance free while air bags have a history of bags leaking, rupturing and lines being pinched. This requires time to repair with a cost for labor and parts. Installation time for SuperSprings with power tools is no more than 30 minutes while air bags generally require anywhere from 2 to 5 hours. SuperSprings drastically reduce sway while air bags do nothing to reduce sway."

Let me also say the only reason I was looking into airbags for my truck is to correct my head light alignment. I do a great deal of towing at night and my coach squats the truck approx. 1.5 to 2" when fully loaded. This squat is just enough to cause oncoming traffic to "flash" me at night as my head lights are a tad higher than they should be.