Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #1
Montana_2630
Established Member

M.O.C. #2630
Baja 2007?????

WE would really like to go to the Baja in 2007 and would like to start planning now. HOwever, we feel that it would be a good idea to travel with a group rather than alone. Anyone interested???? We were going to go to KIno Bay for a month but found the cost of insurance prohibitive. Staying for a few months would make it worthwhile. HOpe to hear from some of you!
Thanks!
ksb
02 Montana 3295RK and LOVE IT!

Montana_2630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
KSB,
I'll bet it won't be too hard to get a group together. And you are correct. A group is a good thing. There is some built in security and a much wider array of talent brought together. You never know when something you know or brought with you will be of critical assistance to one of your traveling partners!

Last year about this time we were headed for Puerto Penasco, MX. That is located right at the top of the Gulf of California. We had a ball. Wonderful beach CG. Very nice camp hosts and wonderful people from all over the world.

I have read about the Kino Bay area and understand it is a great location. If our schedule works out it sounds great to us. And I think there may be at least one or two others that we know that might also be interested. It would be nice to see a Mini-MOC Caravan traveling down the road in Mexico.

I'll look into the insurance angle. I have a friend that used to do something with Mexican Ins. We might could get a decent deal through him.

This sounds like a potential fantastic trip. Keep us informed as you make your plans.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:13 AM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
We also might be interested in a group trip to Mexico. That is about the only way we would like to go there. Keep us informed also and Thank you for thinking of the MOC for this trip.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:41 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I don't know my southern California/Arizona geography too well, so how long a trip would this be, say from Quartzsite? How many days would the trip be, just an estimate, of course? I know we'd be a lot closer leaving from Q'site than if we were leaving from Alabama!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:52 AM   #5
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Sounds like it could be a great trip. It'll be interesting to see what HamRad finds out about the insurance. We've never RV'd into Mexico and would not want to venture in alone on our first trip. A MOC group would be the way to go.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Don't be afraid of going to Mex by yourself or in a group. In our opinion it is safer in Mex than in the US. Most of what you hear that is negative are just urban myths---if you want to be afraid, read your local major newspaper or watch the nightly news. We spend about five mos. a year in Mex. and as of last winter have visited every state in Mex and even took a trip to Belize. Basically all you need is "A Traveler's Guide to Mexican Camping" by Mike and Terri Church www.rollinghomes.com ; it is the bible, they list most campgrounds and how to get to them plus all the info needed to cross into Mex. Second thing to have is a good map, not something from AAA. Get Guia Roji, www.guiaroji.com.mx Get a guidebook or two.

Regarding insurance we get our through Lewis and Lewis www.MexicanAutoInsurance.com We get ours on an annual basis. We cancel our liability ins. Stateside while we're in Mex. Get on line and shop.

The joke in Mex about going to Rocky Point, is that it is close to Mexico (like Anchorage is close to Alaska). Kino Bay is fun--you will collect shells without a doubt. Check out Alamos which is near Navojoa--good RV park and nice colonial silver mining city. The Churches book will give you crossing information. We pick smaller crossings and get all of our paperwork done the day before or so in our PU and usually case out the direction of travel for hazards. Our favorite crossing is Naco just out of Bisbee AZ and then Lukeville. If you want any more info, just ask---this is our favorite subject.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:58 AM   #7
bmckee2468
Established Member

M.O.C. #5055
The wife and I are planning to do the Baja in February of 2007.
We are looking into one of the smaller caravan operators for our first trip into Mexico.
I have been spending time in Ciuadad Acuna with my job for about the last two years but staying on the US side at night.
I have spent a short time in Guerrero Negro at Exporta Dora de sal back in 1994-95 with my job and the people are fine. No different than anywhere else just have to use a little common sense about where you go and how you treat people.
We would consider going with a group and not using a caravan and believe it would be a lot of fun. We would just need to do a little research on permits, visa's etc.
Keep us in mind and feel free to contact us at any time.

Bob and Karen
bmckee2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:04 PM   #8
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
We are going down to Cabo in Dec. of this year. Will probably cross at Tijuana or Tecate and stay down for about three months. We have two other family rigs but it someone wants to travel with us they are welcome. We have been down three other times so are familiar with the drive.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:58 AM   #9
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
We might be interested. When in 2007?
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote