Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2015, 03:23 AM   #1
Arion
Established Member

M.O.C. #14672
Leaking fill tube?

Hi all;

Was de-winterizing the Montana for the first time this spring. When I picked it up from the dealer in Sept and did the PPI I didn't notice it but when I was filling the fresh water tank yesterday there was a pretty steady stream of fast dripping water falling down off the panel underneath the fresh water tank.

There was still snow on the roof melting off and coming down off of the spout so I thought perhaps that was where it was coming from as it was dripping down but that wasn't the case as I was able to reach up into the space underneath the tank between the cover and the tank and felt the water dripping from inside.

I was really worried that I had a leaking tank and that it wasn't winterized correctly by the dealer but I know for sure that the tank was empty as well as the caps off the low point drain. I was thinking that perhaps just the fill tube had a crack in it so after I filled the tank and went back a half hour later to check the stream of water dripping out of the tank had stopped.

Everything else worked just fine. The tank filled and was able to get the water heater full and the heater works and have water from all the spigots and system is holding pressure o.k.

Whew!!

I hated the thought of having someone drag this beast back to the dealer because as of now it's going to be sitting static and I'll be living in it this summer as I rebuild the cabin. My question is twofold. First of all does anyone else have a leaking fill tube and wondering how common such a thing is. And secondarily looking at the cover below the tank it has several screws into it do it looks like I could pry the cover away and have limited access to the tank area however one side of the cover seems to be secured pretty good behind the molding on the back end of the trailer. If you take those screws out do you have some access to the tank area? I figured if it's not too big of a deal I might be able to let that dry out and see if I can get some epoxy into the assumed crack somewhere.

Arion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 05:57 AM   #2
Rob Walters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12154
I discovered my fill neck was attached with worm clamps that were apparently tightened with a screw gun or other device that actually stripped out the clamp which made it impossible for it to exert enough pressure to keep it from leaking. My inside carpet got wet periodically and couldn't figure it out until I removed the little "dog house" cover on the inside. Then I could see the leak in action. Two new clamps PROPERLY tightened solved the problem.
Rob Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:58 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You won't have to "pry" anything. Take the screws out from beneath the rear cap ... remove the screws on the frame as far forward as you like ... pull the underbelly away from the rear cap and roll it under itself forward. If you have rear electric stabilizers ... you'll have to drop them down, but you won't need to unwire them.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote