Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Comode flush lever pops off

What is the solution to this issue? The lever started popping off about 30 days ago. It stays on for a few flushes then pops off again. It is a bit difficult to get back on, but I have learned how to replace it correctly. The worse case is when it happens to visiting friends. This is an OEM porcelain commode with the small neoprene rods sticking out on the side for water and dump valve controls fore and aft of the plastic shaft with a very strong black steel spring around the shaft. The flush lever is molded plastic, and is retained by a small raised ridge fitting into an internal grooved ring inside the plastic shaft on the commode.

Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
We had this same problem while at the rally in Goshen. Called customer service and within 2 hours they had sent a technician over and he installed a complete new toilet and was gone!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
We had the same problem and replaced the lever with a modified one.....didn't fix the problem so replaced the toilet with a front flush one, which works a lot like a home one rather than the little sprayer on the back of the old one.
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep had the same thing happen but called our dealer they put a whole new toilet on NO PROBLEM! We always have good customer support from keystone and our dealer
Old 12-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
We also had the side flush pop off. Appears to be a force fit at the factory and the plastic wears out. I do believe this is a poor design with a high failure rate. Ours lasted 18 months so we upgraded to the front flush with the full-bowl wash-down as they call it. I did email Keystone and Dometic. Keystone sent a reply indicating they would pass my comments along. I wonder if their recycle bin makes a flushing sound when it receives an email? Dometic did not reply.
As a side note, to keep the comode functional until installing a new unit I used two sets of bungie cords criss-crossed over the re-installed peddle and around the base. This kept the peddle from coming off.

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Has anyone every fixed the problem with something other than a new commode or bungie cords. So far I have not thought of an easy homemade fix. I have considered drilling a hole though the center of the shaft and into the shoot area, then put a round head bolt (possibly brass) with flathead screwdriver slit (of the correct length) with rubber washer from the inside out through the shaft and secure with a flat washer and locking nut on the outside of the lever. What's to lose since a new commode appears to be in my future.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:20 AM   #7
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Garry. You are describing the parts that Dometic left out in the design. Had they spent the extra 50 cents, many of us wouldn't be paying for a new comode. Our loss is their gain, if you buy another Dometic.

Dave
Old 12-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Oh Dave you are soooo right, what brand do you recommend and what price range would you consider acceptable? Our new converter arrived today by USPS, so will be working in the Monty tomorrow. Thanks, Garry
Old 12-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Our previous SOB had a front flush with no problems the six years we had it so we went with a high profile version of this:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...s-toilets/4789

The simplest route would be to buy the same model that you have which now that I think of it may have been a Thetford. The water connection on the new model was offset and I had to relocate the water line by about an inch sideways to meet up with the fitting on the new comode making sure there was no stress on the tubing as it passed through the floor. Lateral stress could eventually lead to a leak at the fittings. The water lines are fairly rigid so it can take some time to get things just right.
Good luck with your choice Garry.

Dave
Old 12-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Took the Thetford Porcelain commode out today and turned it upside down and drilled a 1/4" hole in the middle to flush lever shaft rod and on into the plastic interior of the base where the drill bit popped through at a good access point for a locking nut inside the base. We are headed to Lowes tomorrow to purchase a 1/4" X 3.5 inch bolt with lock nut to secure the flush lever to the throne. If the lever ever pops off again I will be surprised. Also, during this learning experience I have decided to install a bidet for a butt wash and less paper use. Took pictures and will post a link when job is complete for all to see.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Recumbent said:
"Also, during this learning experience I have decided to install a bidet for a butt wash and less paper use. Took pictures and will post a link when job is complete for all to see."

Now THAT I've got to see!!!
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
On edit there are no photos links of my Commode Repair/Mods for anyone to see. I just have not grasp how to post photos or links yet, but maybe someday. Anyway I drilled a 3/8" hole through the flush lever and into the base, put a bolt in and nut on end with small nail through a drilled hole in bolt to hold on nut (forgot to get locking nut). Also, attached a GoBidet brand bidet to commode while working on the throne. I tried to post the photo links but it would not take user to the site. So have deleted the links.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Congratulations Garry on a job well done. Now you can get back to business

I hear Thetford is looking to replace their design engineer if you're interested

Thanks for the follow up.

Dave