Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
rgreynolds
Established Member

M.O.C. #8217
Send a message via MSN to rgreynolds
Satelite Dish

Getting our new 3400 RL the first of May. What's the consensus on a Satelite dish. Right now on my 3295RK I have a "MovinView." Problem is that I have only been able to get only one satelite at a time (dish network) except for 3 hours in the morning down at Puerto Penasco when I could get both satelites (110 and 119). I hear there's a new Dish 1000 out that picks up 3 satelites at one time (110, 119, and the HD Satelite). Do you have to go Dish or Direct specific, or can you get a good one that you can do either on.

rgreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
rg, I have a Direct 5 LNB system and an HD TV. I have a portable oval dish that works fine, However I have a new Winegard Traveler on hold for me at CW in Mesa that will be installed Apr 12th. I think it has a lot to do with whether you have or want HD. I redid my entire system with Yamaha Receiver, Samsung DVR and Bose (no highs, no lows) 7.1 surround sound. With Direct you need a seperate receiver for each TV if you want different sat channels. We very seldom watch TV in BR so this was not a concern for us. Hope this helsp somewhat. Welcome to the forum.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Just today we had Direct-Tv come in and install HDTV in our new fiver. Very simple, also Direct-Tv is not using the Tri-pod yet?? Very strange in my opinion. However I have tow Tri-pods that I used with the old 5 LNB dish and the Hughes net satellite dish. I had them mount it beside the Slimline dish that is hooked to our stick house on a inground pole. But when we are traveling I will mount the Slimline on the Tri-pod. I think that Direct-Tv is behind and needs to get with the program, have been using the Surveyor type Tri-pod since they had the old 1 LNB. So much easier to level the dish. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

Just today we had Direct-Tv come in and install HDTV in our new fiver. Very simple, also Direct-Tv is not using the Tri-pod yet?? Very strange in my opinion. However I have tow Tri-pods that I used with the old 5 LNB dish and the Hughes net satellite dish. I had them mount it beside the Slimline dish that is hooked to our stick house on a inground pole. But when we are traveling I will mount the Slimline on the Tri-pod. I think that Direct-Tv is behind and needs to get with the program, have been using the Surveyor type Tri-pod since they had the old 1 LNB. So much easier to level the dish. GBY....
Can you explain what DirecTV did in your 3400? for install? One receiver or two? Free install? We have the 3400 but take a receiver from the house?? tks Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had my 5 LNB Direct TV Dish installed in Oregon and the guy brought out a tripod with the dish. This was in Sept of '07.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:55 AM   #6
rgreynolds
Established Member

M.O.C. #8217
Send a message via MSN to rgreynolds
Thank you all for your input. I was more in the mind of putting an automatic one one the roof. Any recommendations out there.
rgreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:38 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have the King Dome installed on the 3400RL. If I were to do it over again I believe I would go with the outside portable 3LNB. I know there is a requirement for more storage space, but I also know that with the portable one you don't have as many restrictions on where you park. I'm not that enthralled with the King Dome. Maybe someone else has had better luck or a different mfg.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:09 AM   #8
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
I have a Movn/View (like the King Dome) problem is it seems, at the best sites there always seems to be something in the way so you can't get a signal (like trees limbs etc ) I would buy a portable next time.
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 06:21 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have both and when I get the new Traveler installed from CW I will still have both. With both I am never without Sat TV and as long as I'm paying for it I might as well receive it.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:36 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Direct-Tv installer said they aren't using the Tri-pod in this area, I have two Tri-Pods that we used with the Cambridge. I think Delaine said the cost was $99.00 and $4.95 a month. There wasn't any problem hooking up the system, our new 5er SOB has two Satellite connections for the Living area and two for the Bedroom, we should had them bring 2 Receivers one for each TV will get it later, Diesel prices are making us cut corners. Two years ago we would have ordered 2 receivers. And we also again, are getting rid of the couch (air bed) and the upgraded leather chairs Rv funiture leaves a lot to be desired. One Lazy Boy reclineaway Love seat and one Lazy Boy reclineaway recliner. We found we can write them and get more in return than deleting them from the order. Our 5er has a 32" LCD HDTV and the bedroom has a 19" LCD with Samsung surround system. Going tomorrow and get the Second A/C installed. Gotta stay cool. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #11
filly2
Established Member

M.O.C. #6558
I was wondering if anyone has ever had their local channels at their stick house and took the receiver with them. Do you get local channels on the road? We get them at home, but not sure how it will work when we go to a different state or location. Also, what does everyone do when the new receivers say that you have to have them connected to an active phone wire.
filly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #12
danlinserv
Established Member

M.O.C. #7897
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by filly2

I was wondering if anyone has ever had their local channels at their stick house and took the receiver with them. Do you get local channels on the road? We get them at home, but not sure how it will work when we go to a different state or location. Also, what does everyone do when the new receivers say that you have to have them connected to an active phone wire.
You can take your receivers with you but you will only get your local channels if you are within 200 miles of your home station. Directv has focus beamed the signal so outside of the 200 radius you won't be able to receive them. If you just want the networks you can apply for them. Its called the Distant Network Stations. Check their website or call them for info. I just applied and am waiting for the channels to be activated.
danlinserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #13
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
The local channels will only work while you are in the coverage area for the local channels you signed up for, For instance, we are in Phoenix and pick up the local phoenix channels in northern Mexico and most of AZ. But when we are in Albuquerque or more east we have to get reconfigured to get the local channels there. Having said that, the new digital stuff comes in very well so when we are near any kind of metropolitan area, reception of the local channels have not been an issue.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:38 AM   #14
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
We have local channels at the stick house and we get them in the Montana, as well. No problem, except the news comes on at inconvient times when you are a couple of time zones away.
John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #15
carlb

M.O.C. #7703
We had Direct RV "installed" yesterday in our 3400. I chose the simplest system with an oval dish and one (1)LMB horn.I am getting more channels than I know what to do with and the picture is good...I can even watch Seattle Baseball while in Texas. Now my question...The guy down the road has three LMB on his Direct Dish, and some of you were talking about 5 LMBs, so what am I missing out on?

carl b. enjoying the Texas hill country.
carlb is offline   Reply With Quote