Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2017, 04:32 PM   #1
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Storage building

We are about to build a storage building to house our new 5th wheel and some of the other toys/equipment we have. I am kicking around how I want to frame it. Anyone else on here that has built or contracted a building that can provide likes/dislikes about theirs would be helpful. We are thinking a 50'x100'x16' as the 5th wheel is 42' and we have several other large items (cabin cruiser, tractor and our 1 ton dually) that need to be under cover as well.

I would contract it but that is an $80K hit just after we purchased the 5th wheel and 1 ton so plan on doing it in stages myself.

mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
We are about to build a storage building to house our new 5th wheel and some of the other toys/equipment we have. I am kicking around how I want to frame it. Anyone else on here that has built or contracted a building that can provide likes/dislikes about theirs would be helpful. We are thinking a 50'x100'x16' as the 5th wheel is 42' and we have several other large items (cabin cruiser, tractor and our 1 ton dually) that need to be under cover as well.

I would contract it but that is an $80K hit just after we purchased the 5th wheel and 1 ton so plan on doing it in stages myself.
I have a 40 X 60 garage/shop on a second property we own (10 acres). The main roll up door is 14 X 14 which easily allows plenty of room on both sides to get any RV inside. We kept our 39' Alpine inside during winters and will do so with the to be Montana 3791RD coming in the spring. The framed ceiling is 18' high, which allows for the large door and opener room plus you can comfortably access the trailer roof for inspections and repairs. A 16' ceiling wouldn't allow you to do that. We also have two 10 X 10 roll up doors for other vehicles, such as our tractor and implements, etc. If possible I recommend that two 14 X 14 doors (front and back) be installed so you can drive thru. Our setup made that impossible. I built an RV pad outside with 50 amp power, water and septic so we can spend weekends in the summer as a getaway and enjoy the views and privacy.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:34 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Although you are thinking much bigger than I went ... I'll throw this out to you. I wanted a covered storage bldg for my fiver that I owned not rented ... nothing more ... nothing less. For about $3900 4 years ago, I had Carolina Carports put up a metal RV port 42' X 18' X 12' sidewalls (15+' peak). It has 2 sides and the back that come down to within a couple of feet to the ground (closest full run of sheet metal) with the front side open. It has 6 trailer house anchors screwed in the ground which were part of the add-ons to make it certified for the Kansas winds. It has kept the weather off my fiver when not in use to my satisfaction and the exterior on my fiver shows it. It's stood up to some pretty wild wind storms as is expected here in Kansas.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
If the dimensions you listed are LxWxH than I would change the orientation so that you are 100' deep. Quite often you will want to leave the truck attached to the trailer while in the building. I too have a 14x14 door and find it just right. My ceiling is 16' and I had plenty of room for an opener, however, as topjustice mentioned there will be insufficient room for standing on the roof unless you, as I have, are open to the roof. I am able to stand between the trusses, but just waiting to ring my bell on one of them. Keep in mind that whatever you build won't be big enough Oh, one more thing, when your kids ask: can I park my____ just say
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Another advantage to having the 5er enclosed in a large garage is you can leave the slides open and set up and decorated inside like normal, etc. Even when it's 15 degrees and snow on the ground we go up there. We fire up the heater (with the big doors open of course), pop some corn in the microwave and drink hot butter rum drinks or whatever.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
Idalogger52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20651
If I remember right from an earlier post your building in norther Washington ? I built a 48x60x14 pole building a few years ago in SE Washington. Went to a building supply outfit that sold kits, they had an engineering Dept draw it up to local code for snow load, wind etc. they delivered the whole package including roll up doors and insulation. I had some friends and family help me with the setting of the poles and trusses..... saved a bunch of $$ on construction costs that way. I also put a sewer drain in the floor and a 50 amp service box for the RV inside. If you have the room do make it a drive thru .... so much easier with a 5th wheel.
Idalogger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:51 PM   #7
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Mine is in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho. Fortunately I didn't have to pay for the build. It's stick built with Hardie plank siding from the ground to 18 ft. up, and cost the previous owner 80K to build in 2006. The peak is about 25 ft. up. I bought the property in 2010 as an estate sale.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I didn’t build an RV storage building. But I did build a 30’x40’ shop/storage metal building on some land I use to own. Roll up doors each end, walk in door, windows, and fully insulated on a concrete slab. And like idalogger52 I bought a prefabbed kit from a local metal building company. The entire kit was delivered to my site ready to assemble. I-beam frame was a bolt together assembly. A little help from some friends, one with a large farm tractor with a hay spike on the bucket for lifting beams, and the frame went up quickly. More help putting on the roof panels. Then did most all the rest by myself.

I got a quote from another company to build one the same size and they wanted about 2 1/2 times what it cost me to do the kit.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I am in North Arkansas. Only occasional snow here that never lasts more than a couple of days but we do get plenty of rain. We have 20 acres but it has a LOT of character (IE: not at all level). Basically what I plan to build is a 3 or 4 bay building. I was thinking that 16' side walls would give me plenty of room for 14' tall doors and that roof access would be possible with the additional center peak clearance? This building is NOT exclusively for the 5th wheel. As mentioned we have other large items that will be inside the building and we may even use it for events once we eventually pour concrete. I want to do it in stages to allow us to pay for it without taking out yet another loan. I have a lot of equipment for construction which and have multiple trade skills so I can see where a self build will save us money. About the only thing I won't do is finish the concrete myself (that is one thing I am not experienced enough at).

Main thing I am kicking around now is do I buy a metal frame kit or go pole barn....I lean toward the metal frame since that could be free span which will matter if and when we have events and perhaps for 5th wheel slide clearance? I am even wondering if metal frame might turn out to be less expensive than wood framing for that big a span??
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:04 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are long timers and keep in Moderate climates year round no snow, no ice, no cold weather,No very hot weather. We would sure have a enclosed building if we were in very hot or very cold climates
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I used Mueller Metal Buildings for my smaller building. And they did a great job. Made a couple mistakes on the custom frame pieces, but quickly corrected those. They are primarily a Texas based company, with a few locations in OK and LA. Maybe something similar closer to you. They have standard buildings, or will custom design whatever you want. I basically chose a standard building, but customized it by changing to a 4x12 pitch roof and adding 2' eaves, doors and windows, and insulation.

http://www.muellerinc.com/gallery/bu...stom-buildings

The largest standard building they show is 40'x60' for $15k to $19K depending on snow and wind loading. So you would probably be looking at ~$30K for a larger custom design, plus concrete. And concrete ain't cheap. Doesn't cost anything to ask.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #12
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
I am in North Arkansas. Only occasional snow here that never lasts more than a couple of days but we do get plenty of rain. We have 20 acres but it has a LOT of character (IE: not at all level). Basically what I plan to build is a 3 or 4 bay building. I was thinking that 16' side walls would give me plenty of room for 14' tall doors and that roof access would be possible with the additional center peak clearance? This building is NOT exclusively for the 5th wheel. As mentioned we have other large items that will be inside the building and we may even use it for events once we eventually pour concrete. I want to do it in stages to allow us to pay for it without taking out yet another loan. I have a lot of equipment for construction which and have multiple trade skills so I can see where a self build will save us money. About the only thing I won't do is finish the concrete myself (that is one thing I am not experienced enough at).

Main thing I am kicking around now is do I buy a metal frame kit or go pole barn....I lean toward the metal frame since that could be free span which will matter if and when we have events and perhaps for 5th wheel slide clearance? I am even wondering if metal frame might turn out to be less expensive than wood framing for that big a span??
The best answer is to go with whatever you can afford, but always remember what will be the best benefit for resale.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:27 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
As others have suggested a sewer drain is very nice. You come home drain the tanks then fill them up and let them set a week or so drain again the repeat until they are clean. I made my own with a 55 gallon plastic drum and a short 4 inch pipe and about 10 tons of gravel. Cheap and works great.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote