Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2003, 08:21 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thermostat-how was it wired again?

Awhile back I changed out the thermostat in our Montana for a Hunter model, like many here did. In another thread was either a description of the wiring needed or else there was a link to that info.

A very good friend has a Montana and wants to change out his thermostat. I cannot find anywhere on my system the info on how to wire the new Hunter. And I can't find that info on this forum. I see the one for the Lux, but not the Hunter. And the link to infopop has changed and the new location doesn't take me directly to the info and I don't find a search option anywhere.

Does anyone have the info for wiring when changing from a DuoTherm thermostat to a Hunter thermostat for a DuoTherm AC and Suburban furnace?

Thanks much. It can be emailed to me if that is easiest.

Steve and Vicki Reigle
Fulltiming, but "from" Topeka, KS
'99 F350 V10; '03 3295RK

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 03:56 PM   #2
Montana_371
Established Member

M.O.C. #371
Have DuoTherm 15000 unit with a heat pump.... How can I put in the digital thermostat without hurting the heat pump? I really do not use the heat pump.... The analog unit has too much of a temp swing. Thanks in advance!
Montana_371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 08:33 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

Al just put a new thermostat in ours too, and he remembered where the links were, etc. Try this:

http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...vprojects.html

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 09:09 AM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I just put mine in this weekend. I used BOTH of the links mentioned previously. Either one will do - both very well documented. I bought that thermostat last yaer with the intention of installing it over the winter and just never got it done - always had some excuse. Basically I didn't want to screw up something as important as heating and cooling. I was just plumb scared !! I finally decided to get with it - it's about a 20 minute job at tops and very simple. I opted to put the fan switch in the wall above the stat - the hardest part was getting my fat finger in the hole behind the switch to screw on the retaining nut.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:50 AM   #5
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by VanMan

I just put mine in this weekend. ... I opted to put the fan switch in the wall above the stat ...
VanMan,

Putting the switch above the thermostat sounds like an intetesting option! Would it be possible for you to post a link to a picture of your installion?

As you can see, I went with a mini toggle switch in the bottom of the LUX100 thermostat that I used.

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:08 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I hate to say it but I never got around to installing that switch. I'm not even sure where it is now. We've done fine with just high fan speed for the past year and a half. What I'm trying to say is if anyone is concerned about installing the switch, well... we haven't missed the low speed.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 03:10 PM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I can't get to mine right now, but here's the link that turned me on to the switch with a photo. Mine looks similar except it's a black "paddle" switch just a little bigger and I set mine so it toggles horizontaly - left is low and right is high. I may have to redo mine's wiring a little. I just twisted the wires to the switch (no solder and no connector). On low I get a fan noise but it doesn't seem to be blowing - perhaps not enough juice ??
http://rk-enterprises.home.att.net/thermostat.htm
The switch shown would be easier to install because the retainer nut goes on from the outside. I had to enlarge the wiring hole behind the stat, then stick one big fat finger in it and thread the nut on from the inside with one finger(after running it over the wiring from the switch). Kinda' like that bar trick of tying a cherry stem into a knot with your tongue !!!

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:07 PM   #8
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by VanMan
... it's a black "paddle" switch just a little bigger and I set mine so it toggles horizontaly - left is low and right is high. ...
I think that I would like the visual effect of the paddle switch. It would be worth the trouble of going through the "tongue trick"!

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:05 AM   #9
Montana_440
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #440
Someone mentioned that Walmart was out of the thermostst they wanted. DH bought ours at Lowes.He says it was a simple job, took maybe 15mins & the difference in comfort...both heating/ac is hard to believe. I can't understand why the companies don't install them as standard equipment.But....nobody ever said trailer factories ever used "simple & easy".JMO
Montana_440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:05 AM   #10
Montana_461

M.O.C. #461
I installed the Hunter non-programmable in Mine. It too made a major difference in comfort. I forwent the switch on the fan. I wired the low speed to the fan switch. Then wired the high to the air terminal. When you turn the fan on, it is on low. When the air turns on, the fan changes to high. I have lots of problems with icing. This will keep me from inadvertently running the air with the fan on low.
Montana_461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:42 AM   #11
Montana_371
Established Member

M.O.C. #371
Has anyone installed a Digital Thermostat with a DuoTherm HEAT PUMP unit? If so please let meknow what you did... I really do not need to hook up the heat pump unit..... Thank You Roy
Montana_371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 03:09 PM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Al asked me to post this photo of his install of new thermostat with toggle switch for high and low fan speed.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:49 AM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Just to add a little to the knowledge base on this topic. I bought a Hunter thermostat to install in our house. It works well, and I was going to buy another to put in the Montana, but when I went to the store they had White-Rogers themostats on sale, so I bought that instead. I think the W-R is slightly better. It has a little more space inside the case to work, and install the fan speed switch. The sensitivity can be set to respond at various temp changes, I set mine for 1 degree F. The instruction actually mention that it is compatible with 12v "mobile home" applications. It has bigger display digits, but on the down side, the time and temperature readouts alternate every few seconds. The wiring is just the same as desribed for the Hunter. We have used ours now in both heating and cooling modes and have found it to be a big improvement over the O.E. thermostat.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:49 PM   #14
BudFrank

M.O.C. #21256
links to the diagrams not working

The links to the wiring diagrams listed in this thread are no longer working. Does anybody have updated links or diagrams?

Thanks
BudFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:14 PM   #15
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
This thread is 14 years old referring to thermostats that have not been used for quite awhile.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #16
BudFrank

M.O.C. #21256
Links not working

I bought a used trailer- about 11 years old, and it came with the remote control thermostat. I was hoping somebody would have the information still. Sigh! This site has the best information on it that I have found.

Thanks anyway. Maybe somebody still has the wiring diagram for the trailer end.
BudFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #17
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
You may get an answer yet.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:36 PM   #18
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The infamous Remote Control Thermostat installed in the 2005 -2006 model Montanas was a great idea gone wrong. They were notorious for their erratic set points (+/- 10 degrees was common) and their propensity to turn on the heater and the A/C at the same time.

The solution is to replace the Remote Thermostat with the Climate Control Center (CCC) thermostat. Montana and Dometic usually did this for no charge back in the day. I suspect you will have to buy it yourself today for about $200. The change over isn't too difficult.

Everything you ever wanted to know about this topic (Part Numbers, installation instructions, photos, etc.) can be found by clicking on the following link to a multi- page discussion on this POS.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8145

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:38 AM   #19
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
This thread is 14 years old referring to thermostats that have not been used for quite awhile.
This is correct the Hunter Conversion will not work with the newer units.The current stats only have three wires and their is a control box in the AC units.
I did the Hunter Conversion in 2003 and added a toggle for fan speed.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:43 AM   #20
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Now I remember. I too had this thermostat in my 2006 2980. After I figured out it was about 7 degrees off, it wasn't too bad to use. Set it on 60-62 and get a nice 68/69 degrees. Can't help with the wiring tho.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote