Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2004, 10:21 AM   #1
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Anyone have or upgrade to disk brakes

Wondering if anyone has disk brakes on their Monty - or done some leg work towards doing so. I've been looking at it and don't see where it can NOT be done but another set of eyes is always good.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 11:51 AM   #2
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Skypilot,
Don't know about doing it on Monty, but friends of ours who have a 33' HiLo TT put hydraulic disc brakes on their rig. In his case, the axles weren't rated heavy enough for the GVWR and he had to replace them anyway. He says it works great. The tow vehicle still uses an electronic brake controller, but the trailer has all the hydraulics.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:23 PM   #3
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
I am pondering just that....

Dexter disk brakes are hydraulic. You have to buy a electric over hydraulic box to power the brakes. Dexter says "not all brake controllers will work".... but I saw a post where someone connected a surplus electric brake magnet to the system to fool his progidy... claims it worked just fine.

I guess I'll just have to go looking for a supplier and get a price....

So, I''ll post more later.....
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 05:00 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am interested in what you discover and how effective disk brakes are in this application. As long as my axels are working, I probably won't change. But at the first sign of a problem, I want to move away from Alko and brake shoes.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 06:20 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
At the rally, didn't the Mor-Ryde folks say they have disk brake conversions available? Or am I mixing them up with someone else? In any case, they are available. A couple of our members either had it done or are planning to.

Gypsy or Dave Anderson, didn't one of you have this done?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:24 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hi Steve,
Yes. The Mor-Ryde folks do carry the disk brakes. I seem to recall that Dave A. had only the axles changed out and not the brakes. But I may have misunderstood. And after all it has been more than an hour or two since the Rally! :-) Now GypsySCM may have had both done. I think she posted something to that effect. Any way I wish I had them on my rig!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 02:46 AM   #7
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We looked into Disk Brakes for our Monty last year. The conversion was $2300 if you went to the factory in Indiana. My somtimers has set in and can't remember the company. It was electric hydraulic. Didn't do it.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 07:23 PM   #8
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
When I was first looking at the Mountaineer I inquried about DB's. You would of thought I wanted Gold Plated Rims. The Salesman? wouldn't even respond the 3 times I asked him to call KS to find out if even possible. That is one of the reasons that we left the first time. I talked to the Les Schwab Dealer here about putting them on my earlier 5er and he came back with a plan to change Axel to accomodate 16" wheels with Disc. I determind at the time it wasn't cost effective on that 90 Model unit. Can't recall the cost???
dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 05:10 AM   #9
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Yes, HamRad and Steve, you're both right. I had Mor-Ryde install disc brakes along with the independent suspension system while I was in Indiana in Sept/Oct. I love the brakes. In fact, they saved my truck brakes in November when descending into Death Valley from Beatty, NV on a downhill 8-9% grade. The truck brakes started to smoke. I stopped, let them cool off, turned up the brake controller to make the trailer brakes do more work, and had no more problems. If I'd anticipated the need for more trailer braking I could have avoided the smoking truck brakes by turning up the controller in advance. I've since had the truck brakes checked by a Dodge dealer and no harm was done. I don't have an engine brake and don't feel the need for one.

skypilot, Let me know if I can answer any specific questions.

Sharon
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:59 AM   #10
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Hi Skypilot; I had Mor/Ryde install new axles and suspension system when back at the MOC Rally (that was $2800 bucks ) to put on the disc brakes, I would have to have gone to 16" wheels + 6 new tires,so it would have cost me another$3000 for the job!! IF I would have had 16" wheels, I would have done it in a heartbeat !!!! they install a dual electric hydrolic system that will work off any good brake controler. I'm still thinking about it for our next rally at Goshen, you can stay right at Mor/ryde, at thier facility.and they are great to do business with Dave Anderson
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 12:32 PM   #11
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Too bad Keystone won't offer disc brakes as an option. While looking into ordering a new Montana, I asked Keystone if they would offer disc brakes on the new 2005 Montanas or the Cambridge. Got a great big no for an answer. Maybe if we all keep asking them Keystone will listen!
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 11:07 AM   #12
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Appreciate everyones responses. I'm really interested in the upgrade to disks as I hope to do some traveling this coming summer into Colorado and places North (i.e. some 'hills' to worry about).

You've made me curious - I don't see anything about a convention in Goshen - what's up with that? Probably didn't do the search right so my apologies in advance if it is covered somewhere. Just sent me the right way please!!!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:21 PM   #13
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Go to moc camping clubs and then go to great lakes region. We are having a rally in September at plamor where it was this past year. It is a regional but anyone is welcome
This is near goshen in.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 01:21 PM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
The rally will also include the factory tour again. It's early enough that you will be able to go to both the Great Lakes rally and the Reno rally.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote