Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2011, 02:26 AM   #1
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
The nightmare scenario

(I also posted this on RV Net)

I was just thinking about a breakdown with my 5er, and it would be unique to we 5er drivers. If my truck has a problem requiring a tow, I have several options for roadside services, Ford, AAA, and Geico. Problem solved, but.... let's say there is nothing wrong with the 5er, but it needs towing to some service center, campground, whatever. One of these services or others available will send a tow vehicle capable of moving the 5er, again no problem.

Now here it is, the 5er has a broken axle or some type of damage that it can not be towed. Now what. Flatbed? I don't think so as it would far exceed the height restrictions and most likely will need to pass under an overpass on or off the interstate. Any of you have this nightmare scenario, what did you do or would you do.

nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:40 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
I believe I have seen some kind of "wheel configuation" that the tow company puts/attaches under the trailer to make it able to tow...not a clear memory, so I cannot be more specific.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:55 AM   #3
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
A regular over on the HDT forum had axle issues this past summer. The axle broke and the tow company chained up what was left and he was able to limp to the nearest repair facility. Carriage had to put two new axles under his trailer.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:03 AM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Yes, I had an experience exactly like that last September. We had a spring to break (passenger side front axle) on our fifth-wheel [not a Montana] in Dalhart, Texas. We have Good Sam Roadside Assistance. We did have to wait several hours, but they sent a low-boy trailer from Amarillo (about 80 miles away I believe) because that was the closest place the repairs could be made.

The driver hauled the fifth-wheel up onto his trailer. Took his time and no difficulty. He had to take back roads because there were two overpasses on the usual highway route. He got to Amarillo about the same time as we did [we in our pickup, traveling on the main highway].

We had to wait overnight, but the spring was replaced by noon on the next day and we continued on home. The tow cost us nothing. We only had to pay for the repair in Amarillo.

Sure made me appreciate Good Sam--though the wait was frustrating and the delay on our trip was significant. That is one value I see in Good Sam over some others, they know what it will take to get a wounded RV to an emergency room.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote