Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Flag Etiquette

Over Mother's Day I finally found a use for the front mirror (besides shaving) but suddenly realized I don't know the proper arrangement with level flags. I looked it up online but it sounds more confusing than I was prepared for (US flag to it's right). Does this appear correct assuming the flag's right is as it faces me rather than me facing it?

Or should I just be shot for treason

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
If you had a MOC flag on the other side of the US flag you would be perfect. Just cut the staffs down an inch or so to have the US flag fly higher.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I have stayed at some rv parks where they do not allow flags on temp poles not even Old Glory on a holiday. It just burns me.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Over Mother's Day I finally found a use for the front mirror (besides shaving) but suddenly realized I don't know the proper arrangement with level flags. I looked it up online but it sounds more confusing than I was prepared for (US flag to it's right). Does this appear correct assuming the flag's right is as it faces me rather than me facing it?

Or should I just be shot for treason

The US flag is in the center or on its right "facing the audience". Yes, your flags are correct.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
If I ever end up at a park that I cannot fly my flag for any reason I will not be staying there. I've never run into that and hope I never do!
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
If I am Canadian visiting Texas, I fly the Canadian flag in the middle, the American flag to the right facing the audience and the Texas flag on the left of the Canadian flag. That is my understanding of the correct way, however, feel free to correct me.
Thanks,
dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks all. My son and I kind of figured like you stated John.

I did think about the MOC flag - are they the same size Doug?

I'm not sure what I would do if I was told I couldn't fly the flag in a campground. Knowing me I would make it a contest and would test the credibility of the policy as far as it would go. I think the last thing I would do is move.

Dchafer - If the center flag is higher, I think the US flag goes in the center. If they are level, I'm not sure what is proper for that situation either.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Here is a web site that tells the rules on flying the flags.

http://www.ushistory.org/BETSY/flagetiq.html

Old 05-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
DChafer,
You are correct. The U.S. Flag when flown at the same level as any other flag shall be on its own right. So if you had eyes looking out, the flag is on the right. If you are looking in at the flag it will be on your left.

From Flag Etiquette 101:
----------------
"When flown with flags of states, communities, or societies on separate flag poles which are of the same height and in a straight line, the flag of the United States is always placed in the position of honor - to its own right.
..The other flags may be smaller but none may be larger.
..No other flag ever should be placed above it.
..The flag of the United States is always the first flag raised and the last to be lowered.

When flown with the national banner of other countries, each flag must be displayed from a separate pole of the same height. Each flag should be the same size. They should be raised and lowered simultaneously. The flag of one nation may not be displayed above that of another nation."

Link to: U.S. Flag Code from the Government Printing Office.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:50 PM   #10
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
If I had already paid and unhooked and put my American Flag up as I always do then I would just have to find out what would happen. I know the flag won't be coming down.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
If there is a CG that does not allow a US flag to fly, I think we should list them on here as CGs to avoid. I'd fly it anyway. It takes most 72 hours to get rid of you.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'd love to hear the conversation the CG would have with the police department that you will not take the American Flag down. 99% of LEO's are former service men and I don't think they would push to get you out to soon.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:27 PM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
My FLAG flies and NO campground owner will ever make me take it down PERIOD.

On these 3 or 5 flag mounts you see on many an RV where the flags are set at an angle to the center flag the American flag is ALWAYS in the center and NO other flag shall be of equal distant in height.
If flying 2 or more flags on separate staffs of equal height and flag size they shall be flown at the same height but the American flag always goes up first and down last as NO OTHER FLAG shall ever fly higher than the American flag. As you are facing the flags from outside of your site the American flag SHALL ALWAYS be to the left.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:14 AM   #14
4 beader
Established Member

M.O.C. #8190
Another resource that may be helpful....

Texas Flag Code
§ 3100.055. Display on Flagpole or Flagstaff With Flag of United States

If it is necessary for the state flag and the flag of the United States to be displayed on the same flagpole or flagstaff, the United States flag should be above the state flag.
If the state flag and the flag of the United States are displayed on flagpoles or flagstaffs at the same location:
the flags should be displayed on flagpoles or flagstaffs of the same height;
the flags should be of approximately equal size;
the flag of the United States should be, from the perspective of an observer, to the left of the state flag;
the flag of the United States should be hoisted before the state flag is hoisted; and
the state flag should be lowered before the flag of the United States is lowered.
Added by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1420, § 7.001, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.
Source: Texas Flag Code

4 beader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:22 AM   #15
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Brad, yes the MOC flags are the standard size like most of the flags that are displayed in the holders like yours.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:41 AM   #16
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
They would have to step over my dead body to take my Flag down.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Somewhere in the camper is a listing of "rules "that we got from the local VFW and Lions international..It is all so complicated..Left, right, facing in, out, center, Higher " Which country are you in..... Few folks know the "etiquette" Since we are members of the FCRV(family campers and Rv'ers) A Canadian/ USA camper organization. We fly both flags at FCRV rallies. The MOC has many Canadian members and we think it is also proper to fly both flags at MOC rallies when both Countries are represented. The USA flag is always present on our camper. We should do our best to Observe Etiquett and it is not hard when only 2 or 3 flags are involved..but showing the flag is what it is all about.

AND.....http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote