Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2006, 06:07 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Input needed for ole Ozz

I must confess that I am worried about pulling and maneuvering the new Montana. I had it delivered, haven't hooked up yet.
I have to call my nephew to come and trim some trees in the street, leading to the road down the hill, just to get it out of here!
Some questions: How much different will it be than my 10,000# Keystone Sprinter TT to pull, and drive around?
How will my TV pull that much more weight with ease?
How much different is a 5th wheel than a TT, for those of you who made the transition?
I did get Firestone air bags for the truck, and air ride hitch for the Monte, just to give myself any edge I could.
And......any thing else you can think of.
Thanks everyone.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish, LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge, LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets, On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:24 PM   #2
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Your truck will pull this load just fine. I will just say take your time, watch your pinch points,turns and dips. It would be a good idea to take your truck to a large parking lot and make some tight turns just to see how much clearance you have. The only thing I can see by your pictures is, your tool box might be pretty close. I don't think I could have a box in my short bed GMC. Just an observation. Take your time and you will be just fine. Sk

Steve and Tara Krumm
2004 GMC 4X4 Duramax Allison
2003 Montana 3655 FL

txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
The transition should be fairly easy. I suggest you get some cardboard boxes and practice backing and turning as the 5er backs a bit different. Get some FRS radios for commo, it will help reduce the frustration factor. I agree on the comment about the toolbox, watch it on dips, specially when turning. You will have to learn to watch overhead also since you're taller now. I think you will find that it's much nicer towing you're 5er, almost forget it's behind you, other than the heavy feel. The only other thing I can think of right now is watch out for the extra rear swing on a turn. The longer distance behind the trailor wheels can cause clearance problems on a tight turn, it really swings wide. Don't ask how I know.

Skip

Skip and Mary
Black '04.5 Dodge 3500, CTD, 2x4, 48RE, LB, DRW, 3.73, LineX, AFE air filter, Donaldson muffler
'05 3500RL, TrailAir Pinbox
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Be sure you have at least 6" of clearance between the top of the tool box and the bottom of the nose area. I have made contact with the trailer and my tonneau cover rails once with this truck and had to lower the pin box to give me more room between the two. I now have about 8" and haven't made contact with it again while pulling into and out of our favorite campsites. Steve made an excellent point of heading to a nearby truck stop or rest area and try pulling in and/or backing up into the parking areas a few times to get yourself acclimated to how it turns and maneuvers. I think if you could back a TT up fairly well you will have no problems with a 5'er They will track a little closer to the inside of turns than a TT does so give yourself a little more room when turning.

Ron & Melinda Rosewall
Marcus, Iowa
'06 F350 DRW King Ranch 4x4, diesel pulling machine.
'04 3685FL, Fireplace, Cent Vac, Fantastic Fan, Safety Glass, 2nd A/C, Slide out awnings.

http://www.picturetrail.com/fordzilla

Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:37 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks for the good advice, the tracking closer to the inside I didn't know.
The tool box; I have changed it and have a low profile Weatherguard now. Hated to part with my big box and rear cover, but the trade off for a 5er is worth it.
I will practice, also, we will go to the closest Cat scales and weigh everything. probably have to come home and shed a few pounds, hope not.
Has anyone loaded up too much weight on a 3400RL here on the Forum? My salesman (yea, I know) said I'd never load it up too heavy..
Thanks, Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock
Old 09-04-2006, 01:03 AM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Ozz,

Your truck will do just fine handling the 3400. Suggest you practice the hook-up and un-hook to make sure you have the process down and you don't forget something...like putting the tail gate down or up, locking the king pin in your hitch,
connecting the emergency brake, getting the 5th wheel off the hitch to be able to disconnect, etc. Cornering will be a bit different as the 5th wheel tracks different than a travel trailer so go wide on the turns and use your mirrors. The more you back it up the better you will get. Because of the size, don't forget to watch the front of the truck when backing up as you will need a bit more room. With a little practice you will do just fine. Remember we all made the transition so it's not that hard.

Steve & Betty (AKA steves)
2005 3400RL Montana
2006 F350 PSD SRW CC LB 4X4 King Ranch
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:13 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Steves.
I couldn't borrow that King Ranch for a trial run??????????
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
Old 09-04-2006, 01:32 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Ozz: When you get weighed, get 2 weighs. One with the truck and coach hooked up as you are when you are pulling. Put the front wheels of the truck on one set of scales and the rear wheels on another set of scales. Place the trailer so the front legs (when you lower them) and the wheels of the coach are on on set of scales.
After the first weigh (hooked up), drop your front legs on the coach and lift the weight off the truck. You can do this without unhooking by watching for light between the truck hitch and the silicone pad on the coach hitch.
By doing this weigh you will see how much the coach weighs by itself and also the diff in the weight of the truck's rear wheels, hooked and unhooked will give you the pin weight.
Hope I am clear on what I am writing.

If you can't play a sport....Be one.

Bill and Ann
Napanee, Ontario, Canada
2004 3670RL Big Sky
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Short Bed
20K.Reece Hitch
Duramax/Allison
Prodigy Controller

Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:10 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
[quote]Originally posted by Bill and Ann

Ozz: When you get weighed, get 2 weighs. One with the truck and coach hooked up as you are when you are pulling. Put the front wheels of the truck on one set of scales and the rear wheels on another set of scales. Place the trailer so the front legs (when you lower them) and the wheels of the coach are on on set of scales.
After the first weigh (hooked up), drop your front legs on the coach and lift the weight off the truck. You can do this without unhooking by watching for light between the truck hitch and the silicone pad on the coach hitch.
By doing this weigh you will see how much the coach weighs by itself and also the diff in the weight of the truck's rear wheels, hooked and unhooked will give you the pin weight.
Hope I am clear on what I am writing.

Cool! yes, very clear, I am printing this out to take with us when we go.
thanks.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
Old 09-04-2006, 02:37 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
All good advice..We went from a Terry 29R TT about 32 feet long to this 3400 monster.This thing is big..Turning, Backing everything is different from the TT, Neither Helen or I are yet comfortable with turning and backing this thing. Don't know how many times we have caught ourselves turning to tight on the left turns. IMO the only way to practice backing into your driveway is to back into your driveway. The parking lot thing is ok to figure out your turn ratios like we do on the bus driving course..set out traffic cones and do the turns coming no closer that 6 inches from the cone. It is a matter of your brain adjusting to the different characteristics of the fifth wheel. I will be honest..Driving this thing is a pain in the butt it is way bigger than a lot of places you want to go. Stay scared and you will be OK.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:58 AM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
One thing that has helped us is to watch how the big rigs do their turns, etc. They go wayyyyyyy forward, then semi-jacknife back, and they come out straight! I sat in a rest area one day watching them pull into the lonngggggg parking spots. We were having trouble getting in there straight, we were in, but it seemed like that one side of the tail end of Tana was always a bit close to the lines. SO, I watched them, discussed it with Al, and now, we do the same thing, go long, when you are figuring you are way long, turn HARD, get the truck in the middle of the spot and Tana's back will be evenly spaced between the lines too. I know this description leaves a little to be desired. Go sit in a truck stop/rest area and watch em!

I drove Tana the first trip out, 110 miles from a rest area to destination, which was in a little Virginia town, she pulled like a dream (still does) and I managed to get thru town, including one kinda tight left turn without crunching.

Go easy, slow, watch your mirrors, have Sue get out and watch that rear swing (as Skip points out, it can really fool ya). We frequently have a spotter (usually me) outside when pulling out of campsites and gas stations. Always have a spotter when pulling into a campsite. Good hand held CB's help.

Have a grand time Ozz, you surely have worked hard enough for the last several weeks!!

Carol

(Thanks Glenn)

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Recipe for the RVing Life

Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:16 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Carol.
That is a good tip, the truckers get down the highways, don't they?
Sue wants me to teach her how to drive the Monte, we will be learning together. When I started pulling and maneuvering the 30' TT, it was a little intimidating at first, but I got pretty good at it. Only left the antenna up twice, and the steps down once.... Sue cross stitched a little square we hang on the antenna to remind us of that.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
Old 09-04-2006, 03:22 AM   #13
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Now you know why they have signs at the exits of campgrounds, tv antenna down, steps up, wife on board??

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 03:38 AM   #14
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
All great advice and whenever I turn left and there is no traffic I always play a little game where I see how close I can get my trailer wheels to the line painted on the road. After a while you get to know exactly where your tires will be. I also print out a little sign with my unit's height and tape it to my rear view mirror. I have this in metric and imperial because as an older Canadian , I still speak in feet and inches although our signage is all metric.
This was forced on us by a lunatic Government that did not give 2 cents about our culture or our background. Try living in a Country where you don't know how much you weigh in kilograms, how long your RV is in metres and you have to pay 1.12 for a FREEKING LITRE OF GAS and all you know about a litre is that you can pee more than this............breathe easy..........let it go........let it go...........ah much better sorry for the rant.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:04 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
WT ,,very funny,but not funny about the Metric system.We live very close to Canada and I feel your pain. I have no idea how much a liter is or how far a click is or how long a meter is. I nearly choked when I figured out how much we were paying for a gallon of Gas last month in Canada.We do keep a conversion chart in the truck. I call those jackknife left turns "Square turns" I teach that when training bus drivers.It works on right turns also..get as far to the left as you can "this vehicle makes wide right turns" got to get one of those signs, then do the old square turn..some times that can mean being in the wrong lane,,watch the mirrors..Someone needs to invent (OZZ) a right side mirror that will automatically turn as you turn right so as to be able to see the back of the camper at all times.. I do that manually.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:02 AM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We didn't totally escape the Black Plague of the metric system here in the US. All of our science books are written 100% in the metric system. Not a single "pound", "mile", "foot", "gallon" in any of our K-12 science books.

First 3-5 days of the school year for 8th Grade Science, I had to spend "re-training" the students' minds to the metric system. Very difficult - even after 7 prior years of exposure... Most of the year I spent having to relate to the English system... "...300 meters, which is about 3 football fields...", "...45 kilograms, which is about 100 pounds...", etc (I didn't give them the, "One liter is about what you can pee..." scenario, Don - generates too many calls from parents...). Kids really have a hard time with this, but our education system insists we push this. The US and one country in SE Asia (Thailand?) are the only countries in the world that do not have the Metric system as their "Official" measurement system.

US tried, though... Remember our "3 Year Program" back in the 70's (President Ford)? Remember the first phase where all highway signs had to have BOTH English (miles) AND metric (km) units on them? After 3 years, they were supposed to replace all signs with metric only. I have seen some of these "combo" signs still around somewhere...

Americans rebelled so vehemently, that congress reversed their law, and we fell back to our old way. Guess Americans just don't feel they have to conform with the rest of the world...

Remember, we're all a bunch of misfits, anyway. Our country was founded by immigrants that were thrown out of, or running from their own countries. Actually, Canada was founded that way, too. Although, I'm not sure on that. Many places still revere the Queen...

Don, I feel your metric pain, too. My son lives in Canada, as you know, and I played football at the Univeristy of Waterloo.

I haven't ever hooked up my 3400 either, Ozz. Down at the dealership, when we bought our Montana, we spent an overnight on their lot. When I came out from doing paperwork the next morning, they had already hooked up the Montana to my truck. Should have made them unhook and let me do it, but I didn't. I drove back 324 miles to our CG and unhooked and rigged up by ourselves, but that's all we've ever done (although hauling a Montana 3400RL N. on I-75 at 4 pm through Flint, MI, on a Friday was worth about 2,000 miles of towing experience right there).

Tomorrow, Cheryl and I are rigging own and driving 50 miles to a CAT scales. Developing our checklists, and such, and getting some more practice before heading out Sept 14th.

*On Edit~ I highly second Rich's comment about having a highly sharpened "fear" (best word I could think of) of your turning radius. It kept me out of trouble, but I was still amazed at how far inside that 3400 tracks...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:28 AM   #17
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Regarding Rich's comments above, all fine, except, don't forget, the rear of the Monty swings wide in the direction opposite the turn....given that, maybe you don't want to hug the left side line before making a right turn (or visa versa for the left turn)if there is any traffic or obstacle on that side. Watch the "big guys"...you will see what I mean. That rear end really swings out wide during a "square" turn. With a right turn, any car on your left could get a very interesting really close view of the Monty's left rear lights....maybe too close a view...

My suggestion would be to stay in the middle of your lane, and "overshoot" your turning point as much as possible, so as to use all available turning space, before you start the hard right (or left) turn. The more "square" the turn, the better.

Monty pulls great,,,just a bit slow on the acceleration and the "merge" on Interstates....give yourself lots of extra room. Tailgating is very hazerdous to your health...On a nice day, I give at least 6 seconds space us and the vehicle ahead. If the pavement is at all damp, another 2-3 seconds spacing. So far, so good...3+ years full timing, about 20K+ miles towing.

Also, Nancy and I have a "pact" that we will never back the Monty without an outside observer (usually her) at the back. We use small 2-way FRS radios for this. Even if there is a CG "host" present, she gets out and turns on the radio. If we lose radio contact, the backing stops until we can regain radio or visual contact. Keeps Monty and marriage a lot safer.

I watched a Hitchhiker take out an electrical box in AZ. I was too far away to stop the operation when I saw it coming to that point. Neither of them left the TV to look over their site area before backing in. There could have been a kid on a tricycle back there and they wouldn't have seen it. A CG "host" was at the front of the TV, on the side away from the electrical box, sort of directing the backing with his own brand of hand signals. It was really ugly...

PJ, Nan and Scooter
3655FL
'99 Dodge Diesel 2500, BD auto trans, pwr chip, Pac brake, Bielsen shocks, Banks Exhaust.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:47 AM   #18
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Rich and Dave, right on with your posts and the numbers I have on my rear view mirror are 13' and 3.9 metres. I can safely go under a 4 metre overpass but there is the odd one that is lower so 3.9 metres equals 13 feet is a good number for everyone driving up in Canada to know.

Dave, you are right about Canada being a melting pot and many Canadians go back to the United Empire Loyalists that were loyal to Britain and after the War of Independance they moved up into Canada. Both of my Grandfathers were Americans that moved up into Canada. On my Mother's side I get French and I am pretty sure some Native blood athough my mother's generation was very sensitive about this. The world has come to realize that racial prejudice is only ignorance so I am not concerned about someone's ethnic background.

Back on topic, it is surprizing how many RVers try to keep in the 24 foot range because of the perception that a longer, higher RV will be so much more cumbersome. Once you get used to the unit, it becomes a non issue and my 2955RL is shorter than the 3400 but my CC LB still makes my unit a total of 50 feet long and there was only one place we had a little trouble and that was caused by false advertising by the CG. They had a highway sign saying " Big Rig Friendly"

This turned out to be only that he had a few 50 amp sites. In reality his sites were smaller than the average CG and it was more by fluke than skill that I got my unit in the spot he gave me.
In the future, if I see a sign like this, I am going to call and get more info.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:55 AM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
PJ, EXCELLENT point on the marriage recommendation! I'm sure most "Hosts" try to be helpful, but unfamiliarity could really cause some destruction...

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:10 AM   #20
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
You shouldn't have a problem pulling the montana with your truck. Mine is loaded and it pulls and stops fine. I had a previous 5th wheel (not a TT), and that unit weighed about 10,000lbs but this unit pulls better IMHO because of the mor/ryde suspension. After you're pulling it for 20 minutes or so, you'll forget sometimes it's back there. I would strongly suggest you definetely get your units weighed...especially if you plan on loading it up with various aftermarket stuff and a lot of personal stuff. Good Luck! Allison

2006 Montana 3500RL, New Cap Design, MorRyde Suspension, W/D, 2nd A/C, Fantastic Fans, MaxxAir, Fireplace, RotoChocks, Slide Awnings. 2005 Ford F350 Lariat LE, PSD 4x4 Dually, Long Bed, C-Betr Mirrors, Vortex Spray-In Liner, Access Tonneau Cover, Remote Starter, LED Running Board Lights
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote