Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2006, 12:07 PM   #21
gblass1

M.O.C. #4131
Hi All,

You guys are great !!! After going to my local RV service center twice and my Ford dealer to have the factory brake controller in my 2005 F350 PSD checked no one could figure out what the problem was with the trailer brakes. At this point our week vacation is ruined and I don't know what to do next. Then I remember this site. The first message it exactly what was happening to me. I pulled the passenger side rear wheel and sure enough the wires are cut in one spot and some how got between the face of the magnet and the drum and wore through there also.

I think with this many occurrences of the passenger side rear wheel Keystone/Dexter should issue a recall for safety sake. I have very good digital pictures of what I found when I pulled the drum if anyone is interested.

George Blass
Brookfield, CT
2005 Montana 3650RK
2005 Ford F-350 PSD

gblass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:09 PM   #22
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
George,

You'll find this site can help alleviate loads of other problems, as well.

Unless you've owned a dozen Monties or more, there's no place like this to get the experience we see here on a daily basis.

I learned what my problem most likely was from this site. It was still hard to get it across to a dealer. But by my having them disassemble my wheels and inspect the brakes, it cleared the problem up, even though the dealer couldn’t locate anything specific.

Hang around and pitch in!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:57 AM   #23
Montana_5307

M.O.C. #5307
Found the intermittent brake problem. My Prodigy wasn't lying to me. I watched as the dealer pulled the brake drums and I personally inspected each brake assembly. Once again the problem was in the right rear assembly. The wiring was dressed differently than the other 3 assemblies and had only one wiring clip that could be found. The wires had been completely severed and the supply leads were intermittently shorting together. The brake pads and drums had no wear. It is a mystery how the trailer left the factory with this condition, was transported 400 miles to the dealer and was missed by the dealer inspection and prep.
To say I am angry would be a massive understatement. Keystone and Dexter Axle are putting hazardous units out the door for expediency and profit's sake.
Montana_5307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:24 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
rovinggnome...and make sure that you let keystone know that.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:50 PM   #25
Montana_5307

M.O.C. #5307
Rich,
You bet. Keystone, Dexter Axle and the Dealer have duplicate copies of the letter. No response yet from anyone.

Larry
Montana_5307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:16 PM   #26
FREDnBUNNY
Established Member

M.O.C. #1153
Thanks for your help.

I found the bad wheel by jacking up (using the Trailer-Aid tire changing thing)
one wheel at a time & turning it while my wife applied the brakes to see if it
would show the OL indication - it finally did.

The right rear wheel was the culprit.
As I was turning it by hand, my wife saw the Brake Controller
intermittently go from OL to the proper setting and back and forth
from OL to the proper setting.

I took it apart, and found that one clip had worn through the insulation,
and the other clip had come loose allowing the wire to rub the insulation off
as it was pinched by the movement of the brake shoes over time.
I cleaned the wires good with paint thinner, taped them up,
and used the clips to hold the wire assembly away from the brake shoe movement area.

I would guess the wire may have been 1/2 inch or so too short when it was installed.

Because of the intermittent and various symptoms, this was a real bear of a problem.
Fortunately for me, others such as yourselfs, had already been though this
and posted it on the MOC Web site - thank you. I was sure it was my controller that was bad.
I guess a good clue is the fact that the brakes are fine when the camper is not rolling.

I wonder if this will happen on any other of the brakes,
or how long the repair may last.

Strange that it only appears to be on the Montana frames by Dexter.
I also searched the RV Net web site for this problem,
but the only similar reply came from a Montana Mountaineer owner.

I can't say enough to praise the MOC site - it sure helped me again.

04-3670RL
98 Dodge 2500 TD,QC,SB, PullRite slider
FREDnBUNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the report. So far, I only recall maybe one or two reports of wire problems in any of the other wheels. Most all have been the right rear. I'm not sure why. I have added to our PDI for the dealer to pull the right rear hub and check the wiring. And while I'm there to jack up each wheel in turn, making sure each brake will lock solid when I pull the handle on the controller. After all the reports of this problem I do not want to take a chance on being headed to the rally and experience brake problems.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote