Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2004, 12:37 PM   #1
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Bringing "one" slide in and out for leak control??

Miss Montana is leaking again! Yes, indeed. Same place where the mushrooms originally grew.

What are the odds? Two units. Same leaks. The new one back to the factory. I got a little reprieve during the last two months of "dry season". Now the rains are here.

Anyway, to my question. The storms are looming again tonight. Could I be lucky enough to be able to just bring in the bedroom slide and not have a problem with doing that? It's the first slide to come in and I can live in here, for the night with it closed. My plan is to open it when it's not raining and close it when it is. And of course close it when I leave in case it rains. Just unitl, dare I say the words, Keystone fixes this leak?

I'm hoping bringing it in will stop the leak. For now. I don't really think it will be a problem, but just thought I would ask if there is something I'm not aware of.

fla native

2004 2980RL (Miss Montana) towed by 2001 Dodge diesel 3500 (LadyRam)

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 01:17 PM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Have you tried to put the bedroom slide in yet. Your 2004 model should have a valve in the front storage that will allow you to shut off the bed slide after you bring it in. This will keep someone from inadvertenly opening it up again. We keep the bed slide off when at home, only 4-6 in from eave of house. Hope you get leak fixed real soon.

Steve&Patti 2004 model 3280
2002 Duramax 4x4 crew cab SB
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 02:26 PM   #3
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Dear fla native,

OMG!!!!! Somewhere on our forum I've said you must be a Saint. Now I'm convinced! Lemme tell you....I'd be closing up the slides alright!

Okay, enough with my negativity. I'm thinking GOOD thoughts for you and Miss Montana.

Larry & Gail
San Diego, CA
Fulltimin' it
'04 3400RL
'04 Ford F550, 6.0 Diesel, CC.
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 02:56 PM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
You can add my name to the bedroom slide leak list. Our 2004 model 3575 also leaks between the bedroom slide and the washer closet. This seems to be a common problem which Keystone should have been able to fix by now. Maybe they can put a rain sensor on the slide so that it automatically retracts when it rains
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 12:45 AM   #5
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
When your slide is out do you check the seals around the slides to make sure they are out properly? The valve Emmel are talking about is an opional valve. I have it on my unit and it is worth having in tight spots. Fla, check the seals and have someone check the top seal as well.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:03 AM   #6
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
OMG!! NOT AGAIN!! Good luck with this problem. We have noticed that our seals have not been properly "trained" and have been working on that so as not to have a leak problem. We take a long piece of wooden window shade slatting and gently run it up the seals to make sure that they are properly set every time we put the slides out. The rounded edge keeps it from scratching. Seems to be helping a bit. Someone suggested using a plastic pancake turner which would work great if you are 10 ft tall or don't mind hopping up and down a ladder.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 02:18 AM   #7
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
The seals appear to tight. Let's not forget that this is the unit built in December and then taken back to the factory in March for this leak and another in the dining room. The dining room leaks seems to be fixed. This bedroom slide leak is also in the same exact place that leaked in my previous unit. No one was ever able to fix this leak in the old unit. It has been a puzze to everyone involved. I was told when it was at the factory in March that they discovered a "Manufacturing defect". They replaced all the seals with what they call the "Stage III seals".

Since the unit has been back from the factory we had one rain in April and it did not leak. But like I have always said, The bedroom slide leak is dependent on how hard and fast it's raining, which way the wind is blowing, and the direction of the rain. If it meets the above criteria and it's raining at a slight slant toward the slide. It leaks. Same senario with both units. The rain the other night was the true test. The one difference this time was that it leaked on the floor on both sides of the bed. Before it was only on the side between the bed and wood sliding doors.

I do not have the option on the slides that you speak of. I'm just wondering if it is going to be OK moving the bedroom slide in and out unti this problem is resolved. Am I actually saying that?

Thanks to Florida's dry season, I had two full months of peace.

Old 06-15-2004, 03:56 AM   #8
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Fla Native -- Distressed to learn of your continued water problems. Keep the faith, for I am sure that Keystone will one day get this issue resolved. (and hope it is one day soon!) Please keep us posted on what the resolution is for I am very much interested.

We have been living in our new Monty for the past week to get familiar with and test all systems before taking her on the first road trip. Our wish came true for a healthy Wisconsin rain and low and behold wouldn't you know it, we also have leaks in the dinette slide and the bedroom between the bed and wood sliding doors.

All seals seem to be sitting properly, rain gutters extended and not clogged and even took a level to the slides to determine if a pitch problem. Eveything on the outside appears as it should be. This is sure a perplexing problem and not an isolated issue.

Contacted our dealership and will be taking Monty in for checkup.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 08:31 AM   #9
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
What a puzzle and what a pain!! Just a question--has this happened ONLY to people who do NOT have slide covers?? Not that we should have to buy slide covers to avoid this issue but just as a curious question. I know that we did a survey on slide covers in the past--did we determine that they prevent leaks of this kind? If they do, perhaps Kestone should install them free on units which are determined to suffer constantly from water problems of this sort.

Keep us posted about the progress you make. Good luck!!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:49 AM   #10
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Bowie,

I am the one who did the survey on slide covers. Made sure I got them on this unit. So I guess slide covers are only as good as which way the rain is blowing.