Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Moving Power plug?

Has anybody moved their power plug from the back bumper to the service bay area? All but one of the CGs we have been in in the last 7 months has had their power at or near the water and sewer connections and they are usually right next to the service bay which means a long run for the power cable. In several cases we had to us our 30 amp cord along with an adapter and the 50 amp cord to reach the power box. If we want to use the 50 amp service at these long run sites we need to get another 15 foot or 30 foot extension. These extensions are really expensive and I think it would be cheaper to relocate the 50 amp plug to the service bay area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.. Dave and Betsy

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:05 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Dave,
As part of the electrical protection system upgrade (EMS and autoformer installation) I added a new plug-in at the front of the rig to the right of the battery and generator compartment door. The installation was relatively easy since we were gen-prepped with an Iota Smartswitch in the generator compartment. I am hoping to finalize the Autoformer installation in the next couple of days and will post a picture album. The plug itself was put at the front throught the LP gas compartment and wired through to the battery compartment where the smartswitch is located. I think if you want to add a plug in the convenience center location you will have to drop the belly pan in order to tap into or relocate the main power line. Hope this gives you some ideas.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:09 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Dave,
If you "ADD" an additional socket and keep the old one too, make sure you isolate it with a manual switch or something like the IOTA smartswitch ($120.00). You do not need power on the tips of the socket where little fingers could find it.
Safe towing.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:24 AM   #4
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I added one to the side of the trailer by the docking station. Originally had each on seperate breaker in panel to prevent feed back to unused plug so prying fingers wouldnt get shocked. Have now automated with contactors. Its an easy upgrade and has worked well with preventing having to haul out a bunch of cord. I purchased the additional plug at C W.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:29 AM   #5
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
ole dude, I am very interested in how you installed contactors. Could you provide additional information on how and what you used. Thanks
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:18 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Thanks for the replies so far, I guess I should add another question then. Where do you actually put the new plug and do you tap off the back off of the main cable. At the back by the original or at the power panel. Also I gather that I will have to drop the belly pan again to access the wiring? Also are there any photos of this Mod?... Dave and Betsy
Old 05-18-2008, 07:44 AM   #7
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
I would think if you plan to add an extra plug up front and leave the the existing by the time youre done it would cost more than a 50a extension cord. Im curious, how long is your factory cord? Ours reaches to the front landing gear from the rear. Have you considered making your own extension cord? Im sure you could buy 10 a length of wire and two 50a ends at home depot or lowes cheaper than buying an expensive pre made cord at an RV store?
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
The point of all this is avoiding having to buy, build, steal, a new or another 50 amp cord as they are very heavy and they take up a lot of room. As I said before, most of the CGs we have stayed at this season have all the services right together almost centerline on the road side of the rig and we have had to haul the 30 amp out to add to the 50 amp just to reach several power stanchions. I don't really care if it costs more than another cord to install another plug near the service center, it all comes down to ease of operation. Why the hell Keystone put the plugs on the back bumper is beyond me.. Dave
Old 05-18-2008, 11:46 PM   #9
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
I thought based on your original post that its was the cost of the 50a cord that was your concern. Im surprised your factory cord wont reach, I wash mine was shorter and lighter.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 02:55 AM   #10
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Dont have photos. As I mentioned, I mounted mine on the outside by the docking station. As far as the wiring, it would probably be easier to run a new wire from the new plug to the panel, then dropping the pan and re-routing or tapping in. If you have a generator, the the plan will be diff. If no generator, then the new wire to the panel, disconnect the original wire, mark it and leave it in place.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:09 PM   #11
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Relocated mine for same reason...all campgrounds I have been too have the Power post mid-to-forward street side of trailer...note this picture and my cord is not coiled (no extra left).
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Statement that all campgrounds you have been to have the tower as in Noneck's photo just surprises the heck out of me.

We find those danged towers ALL over the campsites. Front, back, middle. Never seem to be in the same place.

I find it so interesting that we all have such different experiences. One of life's little mysteries.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:31 PM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Thanks Noneck, that looks good, but I actually want to get it closer to the service center which will need a bit more difficult routing. I have been crawling around under the rig and it looks like I will have to drop the belly panels and hang the new cable in there then get it back through the frame near the service center. I didn't get the gen prep so that is out. Now I gotta figure out an isolation switch.. Something to plan while the rig is in for warranty work. Or maybe I can ask for an estimate from the dealer...... Dave