Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2008, 03:01 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Dometic Half time

We have the Dometic half time micro-convection oven, it works great in Microwave mode, the convection mode is giving us fits. We baked an item that required 350 for 30 minutes, it came out warm and not baked at all. We kicked the temp up to 400 for an additional 30 minutes, it came out half cooked. The next round was 450 for 15 minutes, this time it was over cooked on one end and just right on the other end. yesterday we did two coffee cakes from scratch, the first was 350 for 25 minutes, we did that and it wasn't done so we added 400 for 10 minutes and it came out just right. The second we did 400 for 25 minutes and it came out over done. What the heck am I doing wrong??? It doesn't seem to be getting up to 350 but 400 may work. Has anybody else had a problem like this? We will take it in for a warranty claim if we can't get it working better...Dave and Betsy

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:11 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
If you can, use a temperature probe lead, or some means of checking the temperature settings. I have an electronic temp. meter with long leads, I used that to check and calibrate ovens in commercial customers.
Very seldom are they accurate.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:17 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave and Betsy, You probably are, but make sure you are using your baking pan each time you use convection or half time mode. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. Ours works great and Cathy will not be without it. The pan is mandatory though.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Phil, by baking pan, do you mean the round one on top of the rack? Also does the turntable have to be turning?.. Dave and Betsy
Old 01-14-2008, 06:06 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Phil,
Our baking pan is not a glass one but sits on the glass tray of the Apollo, it is some kind of metal. Not the same unit, but I am sure the same principle applies. We have not tried the convection without the metal tray.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:32 AM   #6
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Is it Dometic or Apollo. I know that Apollo is 1/2 time but not heard of Dometic having one.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
The half time oven uses both convection heat and microwaves to cook. Your oven came with a manual (okay, an excuse of a manual) that should've told you to use the metal tray when using the convection part of the oven. Because of the microwave portion of the cook time, I would check the manual before using the metal tray in half time mode.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
This oven does either micro or convection or both. I have been through the manual several times and have followed the instructions to the letter. The point is that it is not getting up to temp. We pre heat and still at the required time and temp it doesn't even come close to being done. I will get a oven thermometer and toss it in and see how hot it gets. We are not running the micro as in combination, we are just doing convection. The micro side works just great, it is the convection that doesn't seem to be working right.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dave,

There are probably only a handful of you folks that have those. They didn't come out until the Big Sky II. Most of us had the early Dometic Microwaves or the Apollo 1/2 timer.

If you can see the red glow in the back indicating the convection coil is on, I would say the electronics have failed. If you can't see the red glow of the convection coil in the back, then I would say the coil went out. Either way, I'm sure it is still under warranty and should be serviceable direct through the Dometic dealer instead of the Dealer.

Keep us posted, I'm curious to find out if you hear who really made the unit. I think Dometic is just putting thier name on it. It looks a lot like GE used to.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I believe that the cooker in the Big Sky is different than the cooker in the Montana.

Think, and know you will all correct me if I am wrong, that the Montana has the half time oven, aka Apollo. Big Sky has a Microwave/convection oven.

I probably misunderstand all this, but thought Apollo was half time and microwave, NOT convection. And that what is in the Big Sky is NOT a halftime oven, and HAS convection and microwave.

Oh, boy, NOW I AM even more confused than normal, SIGH

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Carol,

You might be reading more into the "1/2 time oven" name than what it really is. I'm pretty sure both ovens utilize microwave and convection heat technology to cook, either in combination or independently.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well I will just take a look at the Tampa Rv show Friday...OOpps ..no I can't go near a big sky..it might stick to us..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #13
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I have taken several classes on microwave and 1/2 time cooking ovens.. Brad is correct in saying that they both use either convection or microwave or a combination... Microwave uses just the microwaves and can not have any metal or sparks will fly... Ouch. 1/2 time uses a combo of micro and convection so the micro part is much lower and the metal rack does not cause any zapping... The metal rack distributes the waves and cooks much more like the a regular oven.. I do not know about Domatic but have used three other brands and they all work the same... 1/2 time does not mean cooks in half the time, only that it is using 1/2 micro and 1/2 convection... In fact, you can use most of your regular cookbooks and follow the time and temp. the same... I have tons of recipes and have taught classes on cooking in your 1/2 time oven...

Back to the original question... Try it with the metal rack first before you take it to your dealer.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
adelmoll, I must disagree with you as we have been using our Apollo steadily for the last 7 months. The Apollo cooks in three different modes, 1; Straight microwave (1000 watts), 2: convection only (1800 watts), OR 3: as my wife uses it quite a bit, 1/2 time. She sets in 1/2 the cooking time listed in the recipe and the oven temp, then press 1/2 time button. The oven will heat, air will blow and microwave will assist. This is how it cooks in half the time. The manual specifically states, page 8 of owners manual " The metal tray should be used for every 1/2 time, Complete Meal and Convection function. Never use the metal tray during a microwave only function". On page 7 the manual states "1/2 time cooking combines Microwave energy and Convection heat simultaneously to cook like a conventional gas or electric oven, but in half the time. Standard Cooking recipes are used. Set the same temperature as the gas or electric oven, then set half the recommended cooking time. If a range of cooking times is recommended in the recipe use the middle time to get started. Gives you the same browning, taste and appearance as a conventional oven".

I must add: THIS IS THE APOLLO 1/2 TIME OVEN MANUFACTURED IN FEB 06. I do not know what the Dometic oven manual says.

I do know this: Cathy absolutely loves it as she now cooks in about half the time. If it breaks I am ordered to get another one.....
Old 01-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #15
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Here is the latest on the problem. I got an oven thermometer and set inside with the pan and rack on a 350 pre-heat it got to 250 and sat there. Set it for 400, it got to 300 and stayed there so I guess that explains the problem, I gotta take it in for a warranty claim. The thermostat is way off. So in the morning I will give my dealer a call and see what it will take to get this straight... Dave and Betsy
Old 01-15-2008, 03:22 AM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I read the same thing Phil & Cathy read for the Apollo.

Also, in just straight microwave cooking, you can cover a portion of a food, to prevent it from burning or overcooking, with aluminum foil. Example: chicken or turkey leg. The manual I read on a regular microwave just said to make sure the aluminum foil does not touch the side of the microwave or you will get arching. Truthfully, I have never tried it as most of my winged birds are done in a deep fryer or conventional oven.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:17 AM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, Good luck on the repair. You will really like the 1/2 time function once you get the thermostat thing worked out..
Old 01-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

I have taken several classes on microwave and 1/2 time cooking ovens.. Brad is correct in saying that they both use either convection or microwave or a combination... Microwave uses just the microwaves and can not have any metal or sparks will fly... Ouch. 1/2 time uses a combo of micro and convection so the micro part is much lower and the metal rack does not cause any zapping... The metal rack distributes the waves and cooks much more like the a regular oven.. I do not know about Domatic but have used three other brands and they all work the same... 1/2 time does not mean cooks in half the time, only that it is using 1/2 micro and 1/2 convection... In fact, you can use most of your regular cookbooks and follow the time and temp. the same... I have tons of recipes and have taught classes on cooking in your 1/2 time oven...

Back to the original question... Try it with the metal rack first before you take it to your dealer.
Helen, on ours it also means cooks in half the time. The instructions say to set the timer for half the time you'd use in a regular oven. However, it adds a bit of time to preheat the oven. But I guess you do the same in a regular oven.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I love the convection oven part also. I cooked 2 apple dumplings last night. Cinnamon, Nutmeg, sugar, Grannie apples........Whoose your DADDY?????
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote